Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Football Rules

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

RMAOK wrote: »
    That's good news imo - it inspired backwards kicking and also a lot of confusion on the part of the players and the officials.

Why not ban backwards kicking then??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Davys Fits wrote: »
    You mean its done at such speed that its hard to tell if its a throw or not. The ratio of handpasses to stick passes in hurling is nothing like the ratio hand pass to kick in football. The problem is not so much the execution but the quantity.

Yeah, fair enough. You phrased it better than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Because like the hand pass rule it encourages packed defence on the part of mediocre/bad teams who just have to sit back and swallow up the team that is actually trying to play the game!

Why don't they limit the number of defenders allowed inside their own 40?

Not that I am advocating that but fact that was not even considered shows where this panel was coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Well, it doesn't look good when a team is on the attack and suddenly remember that they have to kick the ball so they decide to kick the ball backwards this giving the defending team more time to have a massed defense.

Good jesus! Another dreadful rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Right good game between Tyrone Armagh on tg4 tonight. 12 points each.

Have not watched a game under the handpass rule. It's not as bad as I was suspecting. Would have kept on to it for the league.

shockframe wrote: »
    Right good game between Tyrone Armagh on tg4 tonight. 12 points each.

Have not watched a game under the handpass rule. It's not as bad as I was suspecting. Would have kept on to it for the league.

Don't think they were applying it tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Bonniedog wrote: »

I hope not cause if they were it was the worst bit of refereeing I ever witnessed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Only saw one person quoted out of quite a long list of players and managers who supported the hand pass rule.

But of course the Kom-eye-tea men know best :)

Offensive mark looks a bit stupid to me. Was one last night and the Westmeath player who got it would most likely have scored anyway, or maybe even laid off for a goal. It is one of things that makes Aussie rules a borefest so what is the point?

Offensive mark is a terrible rule. You want to see the player take on the score from play or take on his man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ah I thought they were until the end of all pre season competitions.

Makes more sense if the hand pass rule wasn't been implemented as I thought in excess of four hand passes were strung together on occasion under the watchful eye of Joe McQuillan.

Enjoyable contest.

I thought we were headed for more penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭shockframe

Looked like they were. There was a lot of kick passes from around the midfield area and players tended to kick after 3 handpasses.

Again haven't watched a game under the new rules but it looked like it didn't harm the game.

You may be right all the same.

I only saw first half and there were several pieces of play that had 4 or more hand passes.

Poor old "Tyrone Joe" was probably confused :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

[font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Following decision made at Central Council, and in agreement with the two counties, Croke Park and the @ConnachtGAA, Ulster GAA have agreed that only the four approved new rules will be used in tonight's @BankofIrelandUK Dr McKenna Cup final. The handpass rule will not be used[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Good jesus! Another dreadful rendition of Amhrán na bhFiann.

What is it about having teenage girls singing slow renditions of Amhrán na bhFiann in a crowd mostly made up of middle aged men?
    Mind you the 11000+ crowd of shows why the Ulster council might like a return to an era of close games between Armagh and Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Davys Fits wrote: »
    You mean its done at such speed that its hard to tell if its a throw or not. The ratio of handpasses to stick passes in hurling is nothing like the ratio hand pass to kick in football. The problem is not so much the execution but the quantity.

If the ball doesn't leave your hand, it's a throw. No.amount of wrist flicking or follow through with the hand makes it a legal pass

Watch some hurling games. defenders routinely put 3/4 handpasses together to work the ball into space.

What is it about having teenage girls singing slow renditions of Amhrán na bhFiann in a crowd mostly made up of middle aged men?
    Mind you the 11000+ crowd of shows why the Ulster council might like a return to an era of close games between Armagh and Tyrone.

Great crowds for some of the traditional rivals: Mayo/Galway, Dubs/Meath and last night. Bigger than most league attendances so there is definitely still an interest in the pre season.

As for the anthem! Bare minimum should be that the singer knows the words! Last might was another example of someone using a bad phonetic version in which mispronunciations become different words altogether :)

Is náireach é!

Advertisement