Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat on import

• 12-01-2019 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi all,i recently imported a bike from the UK.i brought it in for vrt last week and they said they would get back to me with a price.what I didn't know was that because there is less than 6k kms on it that I will have to pay vat on it.with vrt and vat it's near 2 grand which is crazy imo.so I'm thinking of selling it to my cousin in UK and buy it back in month or 2 when there is more miles on it. Is this possible, because it's already on there system now,or is there any other way around it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

No way around it unfortunately.

Be warned that now you've presented the bike, it's in the system, so if you re present it with higher mileage in 2 months time there may be questions asked and you may need to provide proof that it was not in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slingshot88

colm_c wrote: »
    No way around it unfortunately.

Be warned that now you've presented the bike, it's in the system, so if you re present it with higher mileage in 2 months time there may be questions asked and you may need to provide proof that it was not in the country.
    v5 would be in different name,and i would have ferry receipts but I know what you mean! Is it possible to claim any vat back from uk?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Not 100% sure but I have seen threads on the car forum where there is a process for claiming VAT back from the UK. Probably applies to all motor vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, if you paid UK vat, it's reclaimable, once you can show them you paid it here. If you bought it in a private sale, you're bunched.

You can change your mind on importing it, and send it back out of the country within 30 days iirc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes, if you paid UK vat, it's reclaimable, once you can show them you paid it here. If you bought it in a private sale, you're bunched.

You can change your mind on importing it, and send it back out of the country within 30 days iirc.
    Who do i notify it's going out of country do you know? Vrt crowd told me ring revenue,but all I get is answering machines there.

• Advertisement

Who do i notify it's going out of country do you know? Vrt crowd told me ring revenue,but all I get is answering machines there.

Just take it out and keep any receipts with dates on them in case you get asked.

Most likely will not get asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Contact HMRC and enquire about refund of UK VAT. Normally, the UK VAT paid on registration there should be refunded after VAT has been charged and paid here.

There may be exceptions to this, but it is definitely worth enquiring about.

Did you buy from a dealer?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Contact HMRC and enquire about refund of UK VAT. Normally, the UK VAT paid on registration there should be refunded after VAT has been charged and paid here.

There may be exceptions to this, but it is definitely worth enquiring about.

Did you buy from a dealer?
    Ya I bought from a dealer but under vat on invoice it says 0.00

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ya I bought from a dealer but under vat on invoice it says 0.00
    You were not charged VAT, but VAT should have been paid when the bike was first registered in the UK. This is what should be refunded to you, as VAT cannot be charged twice. If you have to pay it here, the UK should refund the VAT they originally charged.

Make that enquiry with HMRC. Check with the main Revenue VAT branch as well.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    You were not charged VAT, but VAT should have been paid when the bike was first registered in the UK. This is what should be refunded to you, as VAT cannot be charged twice. If you have to pay it here, the UK should refund the VAT they originally charged.

Make that enquiry with HMRC. Check with the main Revenue VAT branch as well.
    So even though I bought a 2nd hand bike I can claim back the vat that was paid when it was bought new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

So even though I bought a 2nd hand bike I can claim back the vat that was paid when it was bought new?

VAT has to be paid somewhere, either in the UK or here.
    If you claim the VAT back from the UK HMRC you'll have to pay Revenue here.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    VAT has to be paid somewhere, either in the UK or here.
    If you claim the VAT back from the UK HMRC you'll have to pay Revenue here.
    I can't claim uk vat back untill I prove iv paid vat Here,but I'm unsure will I be able to claim the vat that was paid originally when bike was new

No - it has to be VAT 'eligible' for you to claim it back. And even when you do, you'll be paying more that that in Irish VAT when you bring it in. (23% vs 20%)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

No - it has to be VAT 'eligible' for you to claim it back. And even when you do, you'll be paying more that that in Irish VAT when you bring it in. (23% vs 20%)

I wouldn't be to bothered if I lost 3% in the process,but you think it's not vat eligible?

I wouldn't be to bothered if I lost 3% in the process,but you think it's not vat eligible?

It has to be sold to you by the dealer specifically as VAT eligible - if not, you're out of luck.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

Hi We're on the same boat. many of them sayign We can claim UK VAT. I just paid my Irish VAT today. I'm on the search on how to calim UK VAT -ie which form I need to signed and where to send it back with the Irish VAT receipt.

Can anyone guide us please... thanks

Check this UK website this might be the answer for us. unless someone will give us more accurate step by step procedure.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/newly-bought-vehicles

VAT411 form >>> https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/607181/VAT411_04_17.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

If it is not too much asking where did you buy it in the UK? Looking for a second hand bike and nothing I see online here really appeals me.

I just rang HMRC I been told I can only claim VAT back if the motorcycle shop where I bought it charge me for VAT. I had receipt from the shop but nothing says how much VRT they charge if they do. I will ring them later today to find out.

I just though We can claim VAT from the first tax that the first owner paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

There's no way you're going to get VAT back on what is a secondhand bike.

Problem here is that you're falling between two stools -

According to UK HMRC it's a secondhand bike

According to Irish Revenue, it's not secondhand enough, so they want VAT...

Anyone looking to import a new or nearly new bike really needs to do their homework

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Can he cancel his request to register the bike as he hasn't paid yet. Then run up the mileage to over 6k and re produce it a few weeks later? Wouldn't be too hard to get another ferry ticket to show it being brought in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Not sure how that works tbh, but if it was me going to try it I'd have a friend in the north register himself as the new owner for me that way when you go back to import it you can show a new owner on the V5C than the one previously shown.

Then just do up your own invoice for the "private sale" so it shows you've 'bought' it back.

Can he cancel his request to register the bike as he hasn't paid yet. Then run up the mileage to over 6k and re produce it a few weeks later? Wouldn't be too hard to get another ferry ticket to show it being brought in again.

Yes.I bought a used bike here before which, when I went to VRT it, Revenue told me it had been on their system for a VRT inspection the year before. You need to take it back out and keep records of doing so.

Ode To The Motorist

Yes.I bought a used bike here before which, when I went to VRT it, Revenue told me it had been on their system for a VRT inspection the year before. You need to take it back out and keep records of doing so.

Yes, and revenue are not stupid either.

Same person tries to register the same vehicle with higher mileage. Better have your paperwork and reciepts with dates in order.

Advertisement