Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

called for jury duty

• 17-01-2019 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

Replied back to them, ok! if you do not attend then afterwards.. what can happen! tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 colmdel

A judge will issue a warrant for you to be brought before him/her if you don't attend. Its best to just go, you might be sent home if your not chosen to sit on a jury on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You may not get selected. Its best to turn up. Even if selected to be a juror on the day, you can tell them you cannot sit on the particular case and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

thanks for advise folks

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

Turn up in a tracksuit and act like a yob. the solicitors will have you dismissed.

Mod
    LD Mods do not agree with this advice

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Mate in work was called for jury service.
    Told boss that he had to go and that he has to be paid.
    Boss said if your not here you don't get paid.
    Mate went to court , told the judge that he couldn't serve and explained what his boss had said.
    Judge issues a bench warrant for the boss , two Gardai pick him up and take him to court and judge marks his card.
    Highlight of the day was the boss leaving court and being chased down the street by 3 press photographers.

Take your jury summons seriously !!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Turn up in a tracksuit and act like a yob. the solicitors will have you dismissed.

Mod
    LD Mods do not agree with this advice

It is more likely that if you turn up in a suit and look respectable the solicitors for the defendant will have you dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Mate went to court , told the judge that he couldn't serve and explained what his boss had said.
    Judge issues a bench warrant for the boss , two Gardai pick him up and take him to court and judge marks his card.
    Highlight of the day was the boss leaving court and being chased down the street by 3 press photographers.

Quick way of getting fired also..
    They won't fire you straight away but they will find reasons to fire you not too long after. Then you take the boss to court over unfair dismissal and maybe win if you have a reasonable judge and get paid a small lump some after about 6months if your lucky. Basically you give urself a load of hassle for involving your boss.
    Quickest way out is just tell them you know someone in the case or there a friend of a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Lord bless your innocence! Whatever gave you that idea?

Here in the real world, the prosecution very rarely objects to jurors, and certainly not the the basis of their appearance. It's only the defence that does that (and, in Ireland, not even that happens very much). So if you're hoping to to be objected to, try to look like someone that the defence wouldn't want on a jury. Look angry. Look judgmental. Look like you blame the parents. Appeal to stereotypes - if a man, wear a conservative suit, not the latest style. Also, if balding, try to style your hair into a combover even if that is not your usual preference. If a lady, purse your lips a lot and carry a severe-looking handbag; try to channel Margaret Thatcher on a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Get a cert from your doctor. Saying your unable due to stress. It's worked a colleague of mine on two occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

Sounds like bull****.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

A friend of mine got out of it by talking to himself and constantly mentioning Shiela.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jaysus. Just do it.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Keatsian

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Here in the real world, the prosecution very rarely objects to jurors, and certainly not the the basis of their appearance. It's only the defence that does that (and, in Ireland, not even that happens very much).

I was on a selection panel in a district court and there were objections to many people called to the juries (from both defense and prosecution iirc). I couldn't see any pattern to the objections, or anything objectionable about the people singled out. The judge even commented on it, assuring everyone there was nothing behind it, and if you were objected to, to just go back to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

just turn up and see what happens.
    Isn't it a break from the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,005 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Get a cert from your doctor. Saying your unable due to stress. It's worked a colleague of mine on two occasions.
    What doctor would do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

went to it-called up for jury service in one case-then defendants solicitor objected.. next case--not picked.. so all ok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

I can only speak from my experience. I looked suitably nondescript and was picked.
    Another man was dressed impeccably with lovely suit, even had a briefcase as I recall.
    He barely got standing up before he was turned down by the defence barrister (as I subsequently discovered).

One possible "out" is that if you claim to be unable to read/write. That may be a bit demeaning to you if you claim that in front of 200 people, especially if you were seen reading the Indo outside previously.

Claiming some prior knowledge of the case can also work, it being a small country that can be difficult to disprove.

My advice is just do it. It's certainly one of life's experiences.

I finished up being elected foreman, one certainly gets a frisson when the judge addresses you personally ("MrCML, I'm afraid we have to send you out again").

Unfortunately I never got to proclaim guilt or innocence (I had an image of all the press running outside to report my verdict to a waiting world) because the defendant threw in the towel on the second day.

The most vivid impression I had was one of theatre, barrister, gardai, defendant all were well versed in their lines and only we poor civilians were watching it for the first time.

Oh yes, and free dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Ive never been called for jury duty. Where do they get your name from to get selected to serve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

Ive never been called for jury duty. Where do they get your name from to get selected to serve?
    Voters list.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I've always wondered if its a jury of your peers and your from Kerry and go on a murder rampage why are you tried in the ccj on front of dubs?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Am I the only one dying to do it sometime :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

What doctor would do that?

Any to be honest if you have crippling social anxiety. New situations make it 10 times worse and especially been put on the spot if your name comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

Am I the only one dying to do it sometime :o

It was the free dinner that sold it, wasn't it.

Look, I take the view that in a democracy you have a lot of rights. You also have some responsibilities as well, and jury duty is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭endainoz

I was called up once, but as it turns out the case would go minimum for three days and on the morning of the third day I was due to fly out on holidays.

So as it turned out I was selected for the main jury for the case. I had the boarding pass for the flight printed out in my hand ready to show it to the judge but he didn't even look at it and dismissed me. Was a case about an arson attack on a house, I got to see the two defendants and as it turned out they were found innocent in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I don't know a lot about it, but I really don't get why people are so keen to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I served twice, never thought that would happen!

Then last year got another summons. But I have developed hearing difficulties since, and was a bit concerned about being able to hear the evidence correctly. Got a note from the doc who absolutely agreed with me. Excused, no problem.

It was not because I didn't want to serve, I just felt I couldn't do the job justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Turned up, picked for jury duty out of several hundred there. Neither defence nor plaintiff legal team objected. Sat through several days of pleadings etc. Learned a lot and how the law works. On balance positive experience imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 braidman

Up north we only get stale sandwiches for lunch

• Advertisement

Keatsian wrote: »
    I was on a selection panel in a district court and there were objections to many people called to the juries (from both defense and prosecution iirc). I couldn't see any pattern to the objections, or anything objectionable about the people singled out. The judge even commented on it, assuring everyone there was nothing behind it, and if you were objected to, to just go back to the panel.

It's a very slow process for all- you would think technology could add value speeding it up in some way but then of course, it wouldn't be "seen" to be above board, but the point being, it's not right now either. :p

I've done it. It's our civic duty.

I've seen a lot of money spent through the years on making a ridiculous marketing campaign around "not paying your TV licence" as some sort of socially unacceptable faux-pas- while I pay my TV licence every year, that marketing campaign is just embarrassing.

Where it could have been spent is on debugging the whole "I got out of jury duty" bravado or "too stupid to get out of jury duty" jokes- that would have been money better spent IMHO.

Advertisement