Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Best of luck with that one mate, that looks like quite the toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are you getting a fake shark fin for Christmas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

First image of 2019 taken on New Years day, has the look of her and possibly the two trim tabs I will send the drone down to have a look next time I'm out.

NEWYEARS%20DAY_zpskbggdzsa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

This should give you some hope Fergal

Teen’s abandoned round-the-world boat found after eight years
    via The Irish Times
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/teen-s-abandoned-round-the-world-boat-found-after-eight-years-1.3746689

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

How are we doing Fergal? have you been back down there yet with the drone?

That last image looks quite positive!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

I can't hold my breath any longer !
    Any update?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry all been stuck in Beaumont ICU for the past few weeks with the young lad and will be here for a few more yet so life is on hold for the moment, somethings I can't fix with WD40 and Duct tape.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

fergal.b wrote: »
    Sorry all been stuck in Beaumont ICU for the past few weeks with the young lad and will be here for a few more yet so life is on hold for the moment, somethings I can't fix with WD40 and Duct tape.:(

I won't like that post because it feels wrong to do so, but I hope the young fella gets better soon.

And the best of luck finding the boat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I won't like that post because it feels wrong to do so, but I hope the young fella gets better soon.

And the best of luck finding the boat as well.

I thanked it and it feels all wrong!

Best wishes to you all, Fergal, hope you're out the other side of it all soon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Best wishes for your son, Fergal. ICU is a circle of hell for both patients and their families. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

All the best of luck with your son Fergal, hope he makes a strong and speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Best wishes, Fergal. I hope he gets better soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Best Wishes Fergal, hope all is well soon.

Another cruiser found by Pat McManus off Quaker island, I think it's a powles 33 Carrick craft. In the video you can see just how dark it gets in only a few feet of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Do ye plan to raise this one or are you just testing out your gear?

Do ye plan to raise this one or are you just testing out your gear?

It's been down for 30 years so it will be staying there, it was just a test dive for the Athlone sub aqua team.

A bit more running around over the Easter and found another boat but this one seems to have something looking over it :eek: I didn't get to send the drone down on any of them as my back is not great and I don't think it would handle 30 = 50 foot of anchor and chain :( might have to look at getting a powered windless or find a fit young person to bring with me each trip :D

thumbnail_skull_zpsyuswywhl.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

:eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep. That's not spooky. No siree bob. Not one bit.

A bit wild over the weekend to use the ROV but I did pick up what looks a yacht just off the hexagon shoal.

JUNE_zpsaisv693b.jpg

JUNE%204_zpsbvkoa7bf.jpg

JUNE%203_zpsryj85eo8.jpg

JUNE%202_zpsbezblhpi.jpg

• Advertisement

Weather was not great at the weekend so I stayed on the inner lakes and found another old yacht just off Temple island, back in the 1800's Lough Ree yacht club was divided into two political groups and one of them setup their clubhouse on the island where there are still some remains.

thumbnail_JUNE%206%20boat_zpsmhopljcx.jpg

thumbnail_June%206%20old%20boat_zpsq7ywnu3d.jpg

thumbnail_JUNE%206_zpsxhkjujae.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How did that underwater drone work out in the end?

I haven't used it yet that is why I put in the windlass in my other post so I can just drop anchor at each wreck, I also need calm water and we haven't had much of that so far this year, hopefully summer will be along soon. :)

Another one for the list. I'll go over again next time I'm out.

thumbnail_FEARTHERS%20DAY_zpsmo5mzxj6.jpg

And just a little video of what a boat looks like on the 3D sonar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Surely you've spent all the insurance money just looking for the wreck by now?

Surely you've spent all the insurance money just looking for the wreck by now?

I also spent more time and money building her than she was worth :) it's more about the story than the money, sure I could have built another one but I had already done that challenge now I have a different challenge finding her and rebuilding her I thought I would have done it by now but I'm not writing the story she is :)

Think of the skills you've acquired along the way too OP.
    Why don't you do some filming with your water drone on above the waterline - like I've done, my first Youi video ever was filmed on my radio controlled rnli lifeboat on the lower lake in Sean Walsh park

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

fergal.b wrote: »
    I also spent more time and money building her than she was worth :) it's more about the story than the money, sure I could have built another one but I had already done that challenge now I have a different challenge finding her and rebuilding her I thought I would have done it by now but I'm not writing the story she is :)

Apologies, you're right of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

All these wrecks are really putting me off the idea of getting a boat :D.

Joking aside, would your boat still be in decent shape giving its been submerged? Assuming no big damage done.

• Advertisement

gutteruu wrote: »
    All these wrecks are really putting me off the idea of getting a boat :D.

Joking aside, would your boat still be in decent shape giving its been submerged? Assuming no big damage done.

Your guess is as good as mine :) The hardwood and all the metal fittings should be ok but the marine plywood might not stand up to being under water for so long, depending on how deep she is down the engine could be full of mussels but other than that should be an easy enough fix. :pac:

It's not been a great summer almost every weekend I get down the wind seems to be blowing too hard to get any searching done :(

We did get out to spread Kyle's ashes maybe he will point me in the right direction next time I'm out.

69289152_650305495452944_350979384489803776_n_zps6vfa5yzz.jpg

69437155_690994614707401_2493924149706096640_n_zpsnsg5jw7q.jpg

Advertisement