Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Registered AITI Tax Qualification Info and Questions

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Are you completely clueless in the other 2 or could you have a bash at them? If you have any knowledge at all I would try and answer as much as I can even if you know that you will not attain the passing grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

Hi All, hoping someone is doing part 2 CTA. I’m stuck on personal taxes summer 2015 q1 in relation to the high earners calculation why does the solution not include the industrial buildings allowance of €70,000 in the calculation of specified reliefs. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stormpiper

louise1985 wrote: »
    Hi All, hoping someone is doing part 2 CTA. I’m stuck on personal taxes summer 2015 q1 in relation to the high earners calculation why does the solution not include the industrial buildings allowance of €70,000 in the calculation of specified reliefs. Thanks in advance

There is no restriction on Industrial buildings allowances used by manufacturing type trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭monkeylover10

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Are you completely clueless in the other 2 or could you have a bash at them? If you have any knowledge at all I would try and answer as much as I can even if you know that you will not attain the passing grade.

Hi, yeah I will have a bash at both tomorrow & Tuesday exam but to be honest I know I will fail as I haven't looked at those subjects since end of January & haven't practiced any question papers either. I'd prefer not to go at all but you have to sit all 4. I'm sure the invigilators are used to people leaving so won't mind.

I finished work on Friday & took next week off as hols (some hols!!) for exams. I am well ready (I think!) For CAT & VAT and can't wait for Friday evening!!

Best of luck to anyone sitting exams this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Hi, yeah I will have a bash at both tomorrow & Tuesday exam but to be honest I know I will fail as I haven't looked at those subjects since end of January & haven't practiced any question papers either. I'd prefer not to go at all but you have to sit all 4. I'm sure the invigilators are used to people leaving so won't mind.

I finished work on Friday & took next week off as hols (some hols!!) for exams. I am well ready (I think!) For CAT & VAT and can't wait for Friday evening!!

Best of luck to anyone sitting exams this week...

Virtually impossible to pass these without study and doing pass papers, unless you work in taxes the whole time. Hopefully it went alright and coming back to do 2 won't seem so bad.

Looking at some of the papers, they seem to be putting a ridiculous amount of content into some questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

Hi All,

Is anyone on here completing part 3 assignment that might want to bounce a few ideas around. I'm not working in tax and finding the part 3 a massive step up from part 2!

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LFC1990

Hey, does anyone possess a manual that contains Part 3 past exam papers with solutions? Willing to pay €€€

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is a past papers manual. I am sure it is available on the website though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LFC1990

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There is a past papers manual. I am sure it is available on the website though.

Thanks, I can't view these as I am not a registered for part 3 yet (Registration opens at the end of August). However, I have some free time over the next 6 weeks and thought I'd be proactive. I work full time and receive no study leave so it's important for me to be as resourceful as possible with any free time that comes my way. If anyone has these exams papers I'd be more than happy to buy them off them. Thanks again.

I have the 2014-2015 ones here if that is any good to you. In Dublin 1.
    You can have them for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭crebel81

LFC1990 wrote: »
    Thanks, I can't view these as I am not a registered for part 3 yet (Registration opens at the end of August). However, I have some free time over the next 6 weeks and thought I'd be proactive. I work full time and receive no study leave so it's important for me to be as resourceful as possible with any free time that comes my way. If anyone has these exams papers I'd be more than happy to buy them off them. Thanks again.

I can give you 2016 and 2017. Send a pm if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Heisenburg81

How did people find the Part 2 Exams this week?
    Personally, I found the IT paper very difficult and abstract and bordering on unfair.
    Found the other three papers fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Personally, I found the IT paper very difficult and abstract and bordering on unfair.

If they allowed you post on boards during the exam you'd have been grand... ;)

If they allowed you post on boards during the exam you'd have been grand... ;)

Nah, the response time would have been too slow!

Seems to be a trend. Was speaking to someone from work who sat it and they thought the CAT stamp duty question was much tougher than usual and very few easy marks.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Seems to be a trend. Was speaking to someone from work who sat it and they thought the CAT stamp duty question was much tougher than usual and very few easy marks.

Yes, Stamp Duty departed from the format the last few years. Focused on associated company relief and a calculation had to be done to ascertain holdings directly and indirectly.
    Can I just ask a question - In the IT compulsory question it focused on a sole trader assessable spouse dying during the 2017 year and his wife taking over.

eg Profits 30.06.16 150,000
    Profits 30.06.17 200,000
    Profits 30.06.18 250,000

Sole trader died 30.06.17 but wife carried on.
    She had a salary for 2017 of 24,000 from this trade.

Am I correct in saying that the Revenue concession could be adopted to avoid any cessation or commencement provisions and thus the only assessable income for 2017 was the profits to 30.06.17 and assessed on the husband?
    Also, 1/2 of her salary for 2017 was now drawings and an addback in 2018 but not 2017?
    What about her Schedule E for 2017 - only tax half on assumption a revised P 35 would be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I’m starting part 2 this autumn and I’m looking to find a study buddy or two to bounce ideas off throughout the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Im starting off Part 1 with no exemptions this Saturday. Best of luck to anyone starting too 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gingermac

Hurray, just got my results. thank God it's finally over.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭scheister

Gingermac wrote: »
    Hurray, just got my results. thank God it's finally over.....

congrats it is a great feeling to have them behind you

• Advertisement

All,
    Has anybody got into the assignment for Part 3 yet?
    Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lustig2014

Seems to be a lot in it at first glance.

Transaction 3 is fairly straight forward. Non res director chargeable to paye and usc on the fees. Needs an A1 Certificate of Coverage for prsi

The compliance obligation they refer to in the question is CBC reporting

Looks like also TP obligations to consider on the loan mentioned in transaction 2

• Registered Users Posts: 42 stormpiper

Have been bashing away at it. Doesn't seem to be too bad. Few little sticky bits that I'm having trouble with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Rocketdog1905

Anyone doing the Part 2s at the moment and finding them tough?

Anyone doing the Part 2s at the moment and finding them tough?

Was speaking to a few. Tuesday's Business tax was tough by all account.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

Hi Folks,

Just wondering how many people do the course online only? It it allowed even?

I'm considerign doing the CTA exams next session;

I live abroad so I can get back for the exams etc but can't attend the lectures.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Hi Folks,

Just wondering how many people do the course online only? It it allowed even?

I'm considerign doing the CTA exams next session;

I live abroad so I can get back for the exams etc but can't attend the lectures.

thanks

Hi,

I work in tax and while its not required a lot are doing the CTA's and the majority just do it at home/online

I've been working in tax thirteen years and am still trying to pass the Part 3's, having started Part 1 in 2016.

My friend has just passed all four at the first attempt. She has six months tax experience, and left the industry in late 2016.

It seems to me that the exam system rewards memory skills more than it does an ability to do the job.

Also having sat Part 3 in August 2018 and May 2019, the May 2019 sittings were much more difficult, with only a 56% pass rate. It's my understanding that with a possible recession on the way, the insititute will have been told to reduce the pass rate so that there are not an excess amount of qualifieds in the job market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

Have you gotten your marked up scripts back? They will show you where you picked up marks, and the points where they didn't give you anything.

The marking scheme for these things is quite specific and detailed in what they look for, if you deviate from that they won't give you marks.

• Advertisement

steve_r wrote: »
    Have you gotten your marked up scripts back? They will show you where you picked up marks, and the points where they didn't give you anything.

The marking scheme for these things is quite specific and detailed in what they look for, if you deviate from that they won't give you marks.

Yeah I have requested them but have still to receive

Advertisement