Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Love, Simon - movie

Options
  • 12-04-2018 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

Love, Simon is a recently released movie.

Based on a recent novel it tells the story of a gay teenager in high school.

There is a lot of truth in the movie, the actors are good, the soundtrack is a big feature.
    Overall I found it good.

It does lack something, I can't figure out what it is. :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭ignorance is strength

Only from watching the trailers...it very much feels like a gay story by and for straight people.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ceebee1981

Only from watching the trailers...it very much feels like a gay story by and for straight people.

Director is gay, at least 3 of the actors are gay, seems your name is appropriate ;)

Seriously, I thought it was great, it’s a gay movie where nothing tragic happens and it’s a love story. I wish I’d a movie like this when I was the target audiences age.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The book was really sweet, definitely like to see this.

ceebee1981 wrote: »
    Director is gay, at least 3 of the actors are gay, seems your name is appropriate ;)

Seriously, I thought it was great, it’s a gay movie where nothing tragic happens and it’s a love story. I wish I’d a movie like this when I was the target audiences age.

Crucially, Nick Robinson (Simon, in “Love, Simon”) isn’t. (Still seems so weird for there to be a cute guy with the same name as the BBC’s former political correspondent.) And a gay director doesn’t prevent it from getting the straight treatment. It’s certainly targeted at te straight market, otherwise it wouldn’t sell. I haven’t seen it, so happy to be wrong, but I think my speculation is still valid.

Crucially, Nick Robinson (Simon, in “Love, Simon”) isn’t. (Still seems so weird for there to be a cute guy with the same name as the BBC’s former political correspondent.) And a gay director doesn’t prevent it from getting the straight treatment. It’s certainly targeted at te straight market, otherwise it wouldn’t sell. I haven’t seen it, so happy to be wrong, but I think my speculation is still valid.

Why is it crucial that the lead actor is straight? What is the “straight treatment”? And how is it “targeted at the straight market”?

It’s a high school rom com where the lead character happens to be gay.

• Advertisement

Why is it crucial that the lead actor is straight? What is the “straight treatment”? And how is it “targeted at the straight market”?

It’s a high school rom com where the lead character happens to be gay.

Really? You’re oblivious to frequent criticisms of films that tell LGBT stories with a straight cast? It’s crucial that the lead isn’t gay because it’s explicitly the lead’s story. No amount of fringe gay characters changes that. Straight treatment is a book by a straight woman being adapted by straight screenwriters for a straight lead to act gay in (but without a hint of camp, it seems).

Note that my original point was not a criticism of the film; just a suggestion for why OP has found something lacking.

Anyway, I haven’t seen the film, and you don’t seem the smartest, so I won’t be replying further.

Really? You’re oblivious to frequent criticisms of films that tell LGBT stories with a straight cast? It’s crucial that the lead isn’t gay because it’s explicitly the lead’s story. No amount of fringe gay characters changes that. Straight treatment is a book by a straight woman being adapted by straight screenwriters for a straight lead to act gay in (but without a hint of camp, it seems).

Note that my original point was not a criticism of the film; just a suggestion for why OP has found something lacking.

Anyway, I haven’t seen the film, and you don’t seem the smartest, so I won’t be replying further.

Well you’re not familiar with the concept of acting and you don’t know if the characters are fringe or not.

Also the gay director is much more than a jobbing director he’s one of the most powerful men in television and was the driving force behind the film.

Also I’m not the smartest? I can see you make judgements about things without the full facts, as I said earlier you’re user name is very apt.

Also the gay director is much more than a jobbing director he’s one of the most powerful men in television and was the driving force behind the film.

True that

Also he is married to Robbie Rogers...the git!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean, Zachary Quinto is gay and frequently plays straight men. Ellen Page frequently plays a straight woman.

Surely the focus should be on the story itself and how it's told.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I mean, Zachary Quinto is gay and frequently plays straight men. Ellen Page frequently plays a straight woman.

Surely the focus should be on the story itself and how it's told.

Well said. Makes absolutely no odds to me what orientation the lead actor is. Nick Robinson played Simon superbly, and was a hugely likeable and relatable lead.

I read and enjoyed the book, and thought the film was a very worthy and faithful adaptation, even improving on certain elements to tighten up the story and get the message across more. Additional scenes with Jennifer Garner and Josh Duhamel packed plenty of emotional punch (especially the former- I definitely, 100% related to the "exhale" scene, and it brought a lot of memories back.)

There's a lot of needless, ridiculous quibbling online about "pinkwashing" or fem-hating in the story, but at the end of the day, it's a film that's pleasing and helping a lot of people, and acting as a starting point for conversations. The fact that Simon has a "perfectly normal life"- with a beautiful house, loving and supportive parents & sister, and great friends- but still struggles to accept himself at least gets the point across that it's a difficult process for anyone, even in the best of circumstances.

Definitely recommend Handsome Devil to anyone else who enjoyed Love, Simon.

• Advertisement

Imagine if a straight person complained about a gay actor playing a straight character.

Imagine if a straight person complained about a gay actor playing a straight character.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very enjoyable film - funny and sweet, even if a tad cheesy at times.

It's actually having a positive effect too (even with a straight lead!!! :P) with not only encouraging one of the actors on it to come out but with viewers too, as can be read here. That's a very nice outcome.

I really enjoyed it, the changes from book worked for me.

I wasn't a huge fan of handsome devil tbh, bar Andrew Scott who was excellent recent enough gay themed film I enjoyed was called 'the way he looks' very sweet plus lots of belle and Sebastian :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

So maybe you should watch the film. I feel like you are trying to force a point. What if you didn't know about the orientation of the cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 bluefivetwo23

I watched this last night. I loved it, left the cinema feeling happy. I will definitely watch it again at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Watched this on a flight recently (along with some mindless action movies :o ), ending wasn't exactly a surprise but I did quite enjoy it, definitely a feel-good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

opus wrote: »
    Watched this on a flight recently (along with some mindless action movies :o ), ending wasn't exactly a surprise but I did quite enjoy it, definitely a feel-good movie.

An interesting counterpoint to Love, Simon
    is the equally recent Beach Rats

Similar age main character but a very different story.
    They are each their own movie and story but interesting as a companion piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Leah on the Off Beat.

Two thirds through it. Its a Love Simon squeal. Great book.

There are a few "what happens next" bits about Simon.. Worth a read!

Its a book aimed at teenagers, but I wish I had had the balls when I was their age!

39 and still dont tell unless asked.

If you Email the address in the book, you get a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rflwr88

I loved the book and I enjoyed the film. It didn’t bother me the lead actor was straight. The story was a beautiful one

• Advertisement
Advertisement