Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disappointment - Results

Options
  • 18-11-2018 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Crazy I know but I’ve just finished a masters and did well enough all my modules and had an average of 69% and some modules much higher so with my thesis I was hoping for a first. It didn’t happen and I’ve got a 2.1 with 68.3% final result. I’m kinda sickened with it as I worked really hard and my supervisor only met me once and sent me two short emails. I’m so disappointed I’m going to skip graduation - I did the course over the past two years while I had s lot of things going on like a divorce and moving house and it’s all been really traumatic and maybe I put too much hope in “if I csn do this one thing I will have achieved something”. I can’t stop thinking about it and be missing out by so little and I don’t know if I have any grounds to appeal it. What to do ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

I'm sorry to hear about your result. Some people might say that you should be delighted with achieving such a good result (a high 2.1) but I know what you mean by saying you're 'kinda sickened'. Especially as your average was 69%+ for your modules it was reasonable for you to expect that your thesis would come close to matching them. Scoring a 68 or 69 is a bit like coming in 4th at the Olympics. You were right on the cusp of something great and you just missed out.

The terrible thing is there are people who didn't come anywhere near your standard (i.e. those who scored 60 or 61 average) but they still get a 2.1 degree. It doesn't seem fair. Don't lose heart. Seek a meeting with your supervisor to see what his/her explanation is.
    If you are unconvinced by their explanation then an appeal might be the best way to go.

Stay positive in the meantime and don't make any decisions yet about skipping the graduation.

Advertisement