Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going to pull the trigger on a Vive. Is there a reason not to?

• 15-09-2018 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've put this off long enough. I'm going to buy a vive, unless you good people of boards can convince me otherwise - is there a reason not to?

The Vive pro doesn't look worth the extra expense, and I dont see any other next gen hitting the market for another good few months or indeed being significantly worth waiting for.
    So I'm planning on dropping the €600 by the end of the weekend, unless I'm missing something and you kind boardsies can call it out.

Well, am i missing anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So either there are no reasons not to buy, or this forum is dead :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you have tried it before and think it won't be a problem regards motion sickness then pull that trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd hold off and get a Pimax 5K

It already makes the current Vive/Rift look dated... nutsoid :/

too late!

Zulu wrote: »
    too late!

refuse delivery :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

As someone who just bought a rift, be prepared to be amazed :) without a doubt the future for a lot of stuff not only gaming

sweet. Any games I should have lined up?

Superhot and In Death

Haven't gotten many yet but robo recall and echo combat are awesome

Haven't gotten many yet but robo recall and echo combat are awesome

ah but he has a Vive ... might be able to get those via Revive though?

• Advertisement

yeah id imagine theres no problem doing that through revive

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Reason not to buy the vive is the rift frankly - there's just too much of a price difference, but other than that if you've made up your mind to buy the Vive no reason not too.

How are HTC for Shipping? I would have expected it to ship today (3 working days) but havent heard a peep. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

If you get a chance pick up Skyrim VR for it , its fantastic.

And Fallout 4

Bought Fallout 4 myself, seems to run like crap though, at about 40-60 fps with a 1080ti

Nevermind, it was steam vr homes supersampling which auto set to 200% which was causing the game to run like crap, no idea why though.

So which is the better headset? I was looking into WMR for the hassle free setup but they're not all that cheaper from what I can see. So might as well go with one of the big boys, so is there a definitive answer to the big question which one is better?! Most reviews sit on the fence.

So which is the better headset? I was looking into WMR for the hassle free setup but they're not all that cheaper from what I can see. So might as well go with one of the big boys, so is there a definitive answer to the big question which one is better?! Most reviews sit on the fence.

Rift is arguably the better headset as up to perhaps last year the only downside vs Vive was lack of room-scale, but that has now been resolved if you get a 3rd sensor.

It does require that you have more free USB ports on your system though, as I think Vive has a breakout box.

Apart from the room scale difference, the Rift always had more advantages when it came to:

- Comfort
    - Larger sweet spot (so your screen doesn't go all blurry when you shake your head around)
    - Cheaper price
    - As well as being able to play all the Vive games on Steam, you also have Oculus exclusives like Lone Echo, and early access to games like Windlands 2.

and one thing that is oft overlooked is that Oculus Support are outstanding. They frequently monitor reddit.com/r/Oculus posts and pro-actively respond offering to assist anyone having issues.

The only caveat is... I think the Pimax 5K is the better one to go for now.

If I was buying a new headset I'd go for a Pimax 5K as it has a larger FOV and that's the one thing that bugs me about current VR.

It's much of a muchness but the vive is still a mad price, where as a second hand rift is pretty affordable.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Rift is arguably the better headset as up to perhaps last year the only downside vs Vive was lack of room-scale, but that has now been resolved if you get a 3rd sensor.

It does require that you have more free USB ports on your system though, as I think Vive has a breakout box.

Apart from the room scale difference, the Rift always had more advantages when it came to:

- Comfort
    - Larger sweet spot (so your screen doesn't go all blurry when you shake your head around)
    - Cheaper price
    - As well as being able to play all the Vive games on Steam, you also have Oculus exclusives like Lone Echo, and early access to games like Windlands 2.

and one thing that is oft overlooked is that Oculus Support are outstanding. They frequently monitor reddit.com/r/Oculus posts and pro-actively respond offering to assist anyone having issues.

The only caveat is... I think the Pimax 5K is the better one to go for now.

If I was buying a new headset I'd go for a Pimax 5K as it has a larger FOV and that's the one thing that bugs me about current VR.
    Saw a Linus tech video saying stay away from pimax for now, can't remember the reasons.

Edit: bad motion sickness due to distortion in the image to achieve larger fov.

Glad you recommend the rift as I was leaning in that direction :)

• Advertisement

Saw a Linus tech video saying stay away from pimax for now, can't remember the reasons.

Oh yeah? Yeah might still be too new to be sure

Better wait for reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Not sure if its been mentioned but the Rift Touch controllers are far superior to the Vives as they have proper thumbsticks, are compact and don't feel like holding a hurley :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

If you're leaning towards the Rift and planned to purchase soon, then wait till after Wed/Thur next week when the Oculus Connect 5 event is on where they might announce another price cut for Rift.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Linus' video is pretty old at this stage and they have made loads of advancements since.

Better off watching sweviver's reviews as he is one of the beta testers for the Pimax 4k and 8k.

Vive came last night :)
    Set it up and had a 30min look around - just messing. But it was great. Really impressed.
    One thing I noticed, which I'll research later is the blur unless it's absolutely spot-on the right place on your face. I'll work it out.

Any recommendations of apps to download to impress? I'm going to get that zombie desert one (for quick kills), the subaquanout one, Fallout and Skyrim - but any other recommendations?

Like I said before Superhot and In Death :)

Need no others ;)

mrcheez wrote: »
    Like I said before Superhot and In Death :)

Need no others ;)
    You did say it before. Right, I'll be downloading these two at 6pm tonight, and thats what I'm playing tonight. Thx

I've literally spent 20+ hours in In Death... The game is tough but gorgeous looking and addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Get Alien isolation VR mod, it is called 'mother' and it is just a dll you pop into the games install folder, they have made so great advancements now and the game is one of the best experiences on my vive. Also get re-vive so you can play oculus games, Robo recall and Lone Echo are really great games.

• Advertisement
Advertisement