Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Getting back into fly fishing I forgot how impossible it is without patience. Sweating like a horse from 2pm, fish started to rise about 5pm. A bite or two but I managed to scare every fish in the river. Also got charged by a herd of young cattle, scared the bejebus out of me. Learning curve still steep but not as tough as years ago. YouTube is a much more vast resource now. Hope that the picture of the gift of flies works, a couple of them are in the bushes on the other side of the river tonight... still, gorgeous weather all day.
    I fell your pain but your doing better than I am - most of my flies never make it to the water but end up somewhere behind me in hedge/bushes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Very generous offer davycc but I wouldn’t be able to live with myself as I’m very mean and would never do the same for someone else.
    However I do think they would look cool in the window of a charity shop and might start someone down the road to flyfishing.
    Now you’ve got me thinking that there’s good people in the world and I’m deeply uncomfortable with those kind of thoughts. Luckily I have a few cans in the fridge that will banish them away. Tightlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

a148pro wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking, did they go back?

Only seeing this now. Yes I do mind you asking, because you are implying some wrongful angling behavior from myself.

I use a keep net to store the fish during the session and then take quick pictures of them all at the end to keep stress to a minimum. Arspe hole, of course they go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

jme2010 wrote: »
    Only seeing this now. Yes I do mind you asking, because you are implying some wrongful angling behavior from myself.

I use a keep net to store the fish during the session and then take quick pictures of them all at the end to keep stress to a minimum. Arspe hole, of course they go back.

Ah no harm in asking - he didnt know your a responsible angler. Nice catch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

My first Huss tonight - No idea what she weighed - could be anywhere between 5-10lb

33663523_239443413273590_6969491526262980608_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a6de86a95bca77a04a953371c410746c&oe=5BC12D62

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

The little ones first ever trout. 3lb 6oz wild brown on a worm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fair play to her. That's a helluva trout. :eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Fair play to her. That's a helluva trout. :eek:

Yes it really is. Some big trout in the rivers around here, but for a six year old and her first ever trout. That achievement would be hard beat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you don't mind me asking which river is this?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Eddie B wrote: »
    Yes it really is. Some big trout in the rivers around here, but for a six year old and her first ever trout. That achievement would be hard beat.

Fair play to her that’s a cracking fish.congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Oh no you didn't!!!

Was on the Brosna lad.

Oh no you didn't!!!
    Was asking for a friend... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭monkeycork

any idea on this? caught it on a 21 gram metal spinner near Ringaskiddy Cork

it was about 4 inches long...not much bigger than the spinner

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FAqtHqqpM9k5BwLy6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

monkeycork wrote: »

A European Sprat?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭OwlEye

Smelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

monkeycork wrote: »

Yep, smelt. They supposedly smell of cucumber. Have a sniff if you get another.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fishabout

Caught this nice trout in the dodder..

Fishabout wrote: »
    Caught this nice trout in the dodder..

Nice fish. The water's too low here, and the fish too stressed by the drought, for me to even consider going near the river at present.

Itching to get out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fishabout

Nice fish. The water's too low here, and the fish too stressed by the drought, for me to even consider going near the river at present.

Itching to get out again.

Yeah, I caught two that day..The water is very low in places but few deep spots where the fish are holding up. Never thought I'd say this in Ireland, but kinda be glad of a good downpour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Padgehunting

Bass cought last night of coast waterford catch and relished

A few schoolies from yesterday and today.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

OwlEye wrote: »

Very nice fishing, I must start getting Into lure fishing for bass I have got them from boats but people aren't too keen to show their marks and lures to a newbie ha ha I can understand that though

I have some good pictures of fishing but can't seem to upload them from my phone I used have no issues before

OwlEye wrote: »

Some nice fish there.....you like your tackle too I see ;)
    popsy09 wrote: »
    Very nice fishing, I must start getting Into lure fishing for bass I have got them from boats but people aren't too keen to show their marks and lures to a newbie ha ha I can understand that though

I have some good pictures of fishing but can't seem to upload them from my phone I used have no issues before

Get yourself:
    A Tacklehouse Feed Shallow 1 in Mullet colour and 1 in Rainbow pearl

A Xorus Patchinko 2
    Colour 500G works well for me

A couple of Duo Tide minnows 145sld-f (I use fishy natural colours)

A few Fiish Black Minnow 10g

A pack of Albie Snax and 4/0 offset hooks to go with them.

Those lures will cover all areas of the water.

As regards marks, youre right no-one gives up their marks easily. You have to put the time into them yourself.
    Walk the areas you want to fish at low water. Watch for gullies, rock reefs, submerged rocks, shelfs etc. These are the areas that bass will hide in waiting to ambush prey. Return at high water noting the areas which you identified at low water. Watch for currents, rips, rocks etc. Bird activity should also be noted.

Time on the water is key. Keep a log, note stage of tide, wind direction, wave height, time, fish caught. Use it to plan your outings.

Catching bass is easy....finding them is the hard part!

[QUOTE=As regards marks, youre right no-one gives up their marks easily. You have to put the time into them yourself.
    Walk the areas you want to fish at low water. Watch for gullies, rock reefs, submerged rocks, shelfs etc. These are the areas that bass will hide in waiting to ambush prey. Return at high water noting the areas which you identified at low water. Watch for currents, rips, rocks etc. Bird activity should also be noted.

Time on the water is key. Keep a log, note stage of tide, wind direction, wave height, time, fish caught. Use it to plan your outings.

Catching bass is easy....finding them is the hard part![/QUOTE]

Great advice,couldn't have put it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I think ill just have to get into camouflage clothing and follow the lads around cork Harbour ha ha

With salmon fishing being very hit and miss I definitely need a back up plan and this would suit me perfect

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

One from the weekend.........
    Ferox-trout-1-2.jpg
    photo upload without registration

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Wow where was that lump caught! Great catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Jesus! What a trout. Well done

• Advertisement

IMAG0147.jpg

Not huge fish but an example of the plentiful wild trout locally. 11 of these in two hours was an enjoyable session this morning.

Advertisement