Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wetsuit/surfboard advice

• 13-05-2018 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I am new to surfing and living in Sligo. Done a few lessons and stuff.

I am thinking about getting a Wetsuit and board.
    What thickness wetsuit would be recommended and should I buy new or second hand?

Also what size board is best, I am a 6ft 1" guy, 90kg. I am guessing a second hand board would be best?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Probably better to get a 5:3mm or 5:4mm wetsuit, you won't get much use out of a thinner summer one here in Ireland unfortunately.

As for boards, your best bet is to go for a longboard/minimal so you'll be able to catch the most waves possible and progress that much faster. I went for a smaller board when I started off and it definitely made the learning process a lot harder.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Get a 5mm suit so you can use it in winter (Hood, boots and gloves will be wanted then too).

As for a board, if you're just starting out then something big, bouyant and durable like a Bic 7"9 is a good option or even just get a cheap foamie to learn the basics on. If you're sure you'll stick with it then a 9ft+ longboard might be a good investment, you'll always have use for a longboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭andyd12

Cool thanks for the advice guys.
    On the wetsuit, it probably to best to buy new ??
    It would be better fitting buying in a shop ? They ain't too expensive right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Head in to sunset water sports in sligo they have keen prices. A good fit is very important so buy in a shop not on line.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

New suit and a second hand board is the way to go starting out imo. Can also recommend sunset in sligo, got a suit there about 6 years ago and it's still in good nick (though it's not gotten wet much the last couple of years :().

• Advertisement

Super thanks. I was kind of thinking that would be best but I'm sure you know better. Thanks guys

Hi guys, I got my board and suit recently and have started trying to surf. Really enjoying it!
    Just a question on the wetsuit, should it be washed with water every time after being in the sea? Thanks

andyd12 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I got my board and suit recently and have started trying to surf. Really enjoying it!
    Just a question on the wetsuit, should it be washed with water every time after being in the sea? Thanks

Yeah always give it a good dunk in fresh water afterwards then hang it up to dry. I have a soak basin in the van, always chuck it in there afterwards and fill it with water when i get home.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah always give it a good dunk in fresh water afterwards then hang it up to dry. I have a soak basin in the van, always chuck it in there afterwards and fill it with water when i get home.
    Great thanks I was thinking of picking up one of those. Thanks againðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Get a 5mm suit so you can use it in winter (Hood, boots and gloves will be wanted then too).

As for a board, if you're just starting out then something big, bouyant and durable like a Bic 7"9 is a good option or even just get a cheap foamie to learn the basics on. If you're sure you'll stick with it then a 9ft+ longboard might be a good investment, you'll always have use for a longboard.

Mickeroo what would you think of going for the bic 8'4 Magnum over the 7'9, carrying a dad belly so was thinking the extra buyoancy would be better as I need to loose a few kg. Any disadvantages? thanks.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo what would you think of going for the bic 8'4 Magnum over the 7'9, carrying a dad belly so was thinking the extra buyoancy would be better as I need to loose a few kg. Any disadvantages? thanks.

Yeah it would be grand, I learned on a 7'9 myself but 8'4 will be fine too and should be slightly easier due to the extra volume.

Bics are a good investment anyway as they're easy to sell if you decide to move on to a more advanced board down the line or they're handy to hold on to for messing around on smaller days. They're practically indestructible too.

Advertisement