Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recording spoken voice indoors and outdoors

Options
  • 10-02-2018 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

So a friend asked me for some tips about recording as I used to be a sound engineer many years ago. However I only ever did live sound and don't know much about recording.

What my friend wants to do is record spoken voice with a music track, the idea being to record audio guides for tourist sites with some simple ambient music in the background. Most of the vocal will be recorded indoors but some will be recorded outside at the site, usually given by a tour guide.

So I have a fair idea how to do the recording - for the indoor audio get a decent mic, an audio interface, and probably Ableton and for outdoor I'm guessing I need a decent portable recorder. What I'm wondering is can I combine the two to save money on equipment i.e. instead of buying a separate mic maybe use the portable recorder for both. So some questions:

- Would it make sense to use a potable recorder to record both outdoor and indoor vocal, or should I get a normal mic for indoor?
    - The budget isn't huge so can anyone recommend a good portable recorder that won't break the bank, maybe up to 150 - 175 euro? I've seen Zoom and Tascam on Thomann and from what I've read Tascam seem to be a bit more professional or high end
    - Does a portable recorder generally provide good quality audio?
    - Anything else I should be aware of or that I haven't thought about?

Tia

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hi Tia, 
    Zooms are fine and easy to use. Might as well use a portable for both. You could live off the built-in mics, however, you'll need a 'dead cat' (one of those furry screens that slides over the mics) when recording outdoors to reduce wind noise. If you want a more exceptional vocal/voice sound, then you'll need an extra mic to plug into the Zoom. Once again, a wind screen is necessary if recording outdoors.

Advertisement