Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oscars 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

He announced today he was doing it.

I stopped watching the Oscars about 20 years ago.

Meaningless drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How many jokes that the Oscar is taller the Hart will be made.

To many.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Vice, The Favourite, A Star Is Born and Green Book got most nominations at the Globes

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2019-golden-globes-nominations-full-list-1165090

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I'm hoping it's finally Glenn Close's turn to win this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Am I missing something in relation to the Golden Globes... seems to be nominations for films that haven't been released unless they've been released already in the states???

• Advertisement

I'm hoping it's finally Glenn Close's turn to win this year.

I didn't realise she had never won, I think Lady GaGa is her biggest threat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I didn't realise she had never won, I think Lady GaGa her biggest threat

6 nominations and counting...I'm assuming she'll be nominated again for The Wife.

Ugh, Gaga.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

He announced today he was doing it.

I stopped watching the Oscars about 20 years ago.

Meaningless drivel.

Hes stepped down

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/12/kevin-hart-steps-down-oscars/

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Does Lady GaGa really deserve a nom?

A good performance but it is elevated massively by her incredible singing talent. Her singing is not acting, that's what she does for a living naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

peteeeed wrote: »

Jesus that was quick.

Ah well, jog on....

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »

Bring back Ellen!

Otherwise, Steve Martin & Alec Baldwin together again would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

El Duda wrote:
    Does Lady GaGa really deserve a nom?

El Duda wrote:
    A good performance but it is elevated massively by her incredible singing talent. Her singing is not acting, that's what she does for a living naturally.

Just about to say that,never realized what a good singer she is,with all the sh1te she had released,Cooper is nailed on ,imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was about to suggest Kevin Spacey, who I've been saying for years would make a great Oscars host... and then I remembered. :o

I still think it should be an actor. Someone who really knows Hollywood, not an east coaster. Someone with a sense of humour and a bit of gravitas but who isn't a comedian and who really knows and loves movies. Getting a stand-up comedian to host the Oscars doesn't work anymore. Sensitivities in America are such that even Crystal or Martin would have hard time avoiding controversy.

I was about to suggest Kevin Spacey, who I've been saying for years would make a great Oscars host... and then I remembered. :o

I still think it should be an actor. Someone who really knows Hollywood, not an east coaster. Someone with a sense of humour and a bit of gravitas but who isn't a comedian and who really knows and loves movies. Getting a stand-up comedian to host the Oscars doesn't work anymore. Sensitivities in America are such that even Crystal or Martin would have hard time avoiding controversy.

Robert Downey Jnr seems to be mentioned as a possible host, could just all be online speculation

What about Ricky Gervais and Mel Gibson :p

Kevin Spacey would have been great!

Would it be too much to hope for Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum or Christopher Walken...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I'm on my own maybe but I have no interest in these gimmicky hosts that seems to be the rage these days. I'd happily sit through an Oscars ceremony hosted by someone like Russell Crowe or Emily Blunt if they were interested. Respected in their art and well capable of holding your attention without appealing to the lowest common denominator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A-list actors are pretty much totally out of the question unless the Academy is prepared to pay them. Most hosts get about 15k plus (substantial!) freebies. A comedian or media personalty will benefit from the publicity, but for a big name actor or star it's potentially a lot of work for little reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Give it back to Billy Crystal give him one last Hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That would, literally, be the greatest joke ever for any Oscar night.

Hart is considering returning as host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Oh boy, as if the Academy didn't have enough problems. Bohemian Rhapsody beat A Star is Born at the Golden Globes last night. If there are any more juicy stories about Bryan Singer's poolside escapades out there expect to be reading about them within days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Keatsian

If the Globes are a reliable guide to the Oscars, it looks like it will be a frustrating year. Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book both received mixed reviews, and from the trailers neither looks worth seeing.

Incidentally, why did Rhapsody and A Star Is Born get classed as dramas, but Green Book as a musical/comedy?

Not sure exactly how it works but I think it's mostly down to whichever category the studio submits the film to - based on what they think they have the best chance of winning. However, the HFP can reject them if they wish.

Keatsian wrote: »
    If the Globes are a reliable guide to the Oscars, it looks like it will be a frustrating year. Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book both received mixed reviews, and from the trailers neither looks worth seeing.

Incidentally, why did Rhapsody and A Star Is Born get classed as dramas, but Green Book as a musical/comedy?

Yes I thought both were under the musical category

Also what about Olivia Colman as host, could a nominee host?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Seen Steve Carrell mentioned online as a potential host, I reckon he would be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Keatsian wrote: »

I think "The Martian" was a winner in the musical/comedy class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well The Martian was neither a musical nor a comedy.........but it had great music in it and was funny.

Ultimately its just the studio's putting their properties into races they think they can win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The Oscar winners and the year's actual best films/directors/actors is a venn diagram. Sometimes there is a big overlap, other times they are completely different.

For me, the most satisfying part of the Oscars is seeing some young or up-and-coming actor/filmmaker get recognized for their work when they were pretty much unknowns the year before. It helps kick-start a career when someone deserves it. Much more satisfying than seeing Meryl Streep get her forth win.

• Advertisement

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a25799651/bafta-nominations-2019/

No surprise The Favourite leads with most BAFTA nominations

I hope Sam Elliot is a surprise supporting nomination for A Star is Born at the hostless Academy Awards

Advertisement