Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Irish Ferries ship

• 04-09-2017 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

So Irish Ferries are building up to announcing the arrival of a new ship to their fleet in October. Anyone heard anything in advance as to which route it will operate on ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,072 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So Irish Ferries are building up to announcing the arrival of a new ship to their fleet in October. Anyone heard anything in advance as to which route it will operate on ?

Mid 2018 seems to be the arrival date. Afloat says it will do Dublin Holyhead next summer and do Ireland to France at weekends, not exactly sure how that will work. Nice modern look to it from the 3D pic...

http://afloat.ie/port-news/ferry-news/item/37038-competition-launched-to-name-biggest-new-irish-sea-cruiseferry

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Takes over from the ailing and poorly engineered Epsilon. She's only chartered in, AFAIK.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

They have a website for it here:
    https://www.bigshipbigname.com/

Looks nice, says it will be the biggest ferry on the Irish sea, but at 195m long, is that not slightly shorter than the Ulysses? Maybe "biggest" refers to capacity rather than size.

The Epsilon - which it seems it will replace - looks more like a freight ship with limited passenger facilities, is that right? I guess the new ship will be better able to handle winter weather especially on the Ireland<->France route.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Hopefully, it will also be capable of taking walk on passengers, the 02:00 sailing to Holyhead would be a LOT more attractive than going on the 20:00 sailing and having to sit there at the station for hours until the first train.

I have to wonder if the arrival of a much larger ship will be the precursor of the end of the fast ferry service, given how unreliable it is during the winter months.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have to wonder if the arrival of a much larger ship will be the precursor of the end of the fast ferry service, given how unreliable it is during the winter months.

I think that when you consider that Stena (IF major competition on this route) have no fast ferry service any more, then surely it's the end of the Jonathan Swift? They might get a good price on chartering her out to the Med or Canaries etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think that when you consider that Stena (IF major competition on this route) have no fast ferry service any more, then surely it's the end of the Jonathan Swift? They might get a good price on chartering her out to the Med or Canaries etc.

It's like we've gone full circle from the slow old ships of yesteryear up to the fast ferries of the 1990s > peaking with the massive/fast super High Speed HSS ... and now we're slowly going back down to big slow ferries again.

Am I right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

LordSutch wrote: »
    It's like we've gone full circle from the slow old ships of yesteryear up to the fast ferries of the 1990s > peaking with the massive/fast super High Speed HSS ... and now we're slowly going back down to big slow ferries again.

Am I right?

Fuel costs, reliability and practicality all being issues I guess. Similar story to Concorde - comes to a point as fares are driven down that running certain services just isn't viable anymore.

Stena never openly talked about it, but on some routes, the commercial drivers wouldn't use the fast ferries, as they didn't get a long enough break period, and were having problems with tachograph records as a result. I think Harwich Hook of Holland was the big issue, as the HSS on that route was about 3 hours, compared to 8 hours on the traditional ferries.

Whatever about operating costs, which were significant, I think the other issue was that the HSS family never did achieve the level of certification that the designers promised in terms of wave height, and I know from painful experience that in a 6 Mtr swell, the ride was not comfortable if it was a beam sea, the roll from side to side was not at all comfortable, especially if you were sitting on the outer edges of the vessel, it was comparable to being in a fast lift, and for anyone that was not a good traveller (like my wife) it was a very unpleasant experience. We did eventually discover a few seats at the back of the lower deck beside the main walkway area that were a lot closer to the centre line, so a lot less movement, but even there, on a rough day, which there were plenty of during the winter months, it could still be a challenging trip. That's no fun if you are looking at a 4 or 5 hour road journey on the other side after the crossing.

The modern ships like Ulysses can't even begin to be compared to the old ships that the HSS and the like replaced, the capacity, loading and offloading times, cabins, general passenger services and the ride quality are light years ahead of what was on offer on things like the Hibernia and The Earl WIlliam and similar.

Yes, the faster journey times of the HSS were nice, but the absolute requirement for me is reliability, which the HSS (and the other fast ferries like Lynx and the Jonathan Swift) just could not deliver on the Irish Sea, for whatever reason. Then the combined effect of fuel prices, the loss of duty free sales and the increased competition from low cost flights meant that the ferries lost their appeal for many people.

That said, my (elderly) parents happily come to Ireland from the South West of the UK by rail and ferry on a regular basis, even though it takes close on 12 hours, because the overall experience is a lot less stressful for them than having to cope with airport security and the like, even though it would be a much shorter time to fly over.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Fuel costs, reliability and practicality all being issues I guess. Similar story to Concorde - comes to a point as fares are driven down that running certain services just isn't viable anymore.

The unspoken issue that was a huge blow to Concorde on the London New York route was 9-11, while it was never openly talked about at the time, BA lost over 50% of their regular passengers on the Concorde service as a result of that one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Bring back the St Columba I say!

My memory tells me she was truly great. Spacious, fast-ish (for a big ferry) and she had a cinema too!
    Which at the time was unheard of in these waters. I am of course looking back through rose tinted spectacles, so maybe she wasn't as good ad I remember? but in 79' I was very impressed as s passenger, who had experienced several of those old buckets that had sailed the Dunleary-Holyhead route before her ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stena never openly talked about it, but on some routes, the commercial drivers wouldn't use the fast ferries, as they didn't get a long enough break period, and were having problems with tachograph records as a result. I think Harwich Hook of Holland was the big issue, as the HSS on that route was about 3 hours, compared to 8 hours on the tradition

alot of trucks will go on the seatruck or P&O to Liverpool as the drivers get a full rest in and can then drive to in one day and be in France that night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

The unspoken issue that was a huge blow to Concorde on the London New York route was 9-11, while it was never openly talked about at the time, BA lost over 50% of their regular passengers on the Concorde service as a result of that one day.

Quite regularly spoken about I'd have thought - 911 and not Paris is generally acknowledged as the death blow to Concorde. Aviation market changed overnight yadda yadda...

But I digress...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

LordSutch wrote: »
    Bring back the St Columba I say!

My memory tells me she was truly great. Spacious, fast-ish (for a big ferry) and she had a cinema too!
    Which at the time was unheard of in these waters. I am of course looking back through rose tinted spectacles, so maybe she wasn't as good ad I remember? but in 79' I was very impressed as s passenger, who had experienced several of those old buckets that had sailed the Dunleary-Holyhead route before her ........

I used to be a twice yearly sailor on the Columba in the dying days of the old Sealink. Grand aul tub she was too. Combining a pullman ticket on her with a weekend first to Euston wasn't the worst way to go to London and whenever I deal with the black hole of misery that is Dublin Airport the whole sail-rail experience compares well to that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeardySi wrote: »
    Quite regularly spoken about I'd have thought - 911 and not Paris is generally acknowledged as the death blow to Concorde. Aviation market changed overnight yadda yadda...

But I digress...

The aviation market impacts are spoken about - the unspoken point was that a large amount of the regular, multiple times a week etc, passengers actually died that day.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Noticed ads in the papers saying the new name is WB Yeats

It's a **** name and it already belongs one of the newer INS vessels. They really didn't try very hard on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Maybe they should've called it "Celtic mac Celtic face"

It's got two of these MAN engines

startseite_ems_600.jpg?sfvrsn=0

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

They should have given it a woman's name (ships are female after all) but the only female Irish writer I can think of who's really well known is Maeve Binchy, and she's not dead (and possibly not high brow enough compared to Joyce, Yeats etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

loyatemu wrote: »
    only female Irish writer I can think of who's really well known is Maeve Binchy, and she's not dead.

Newsflash! - Died 5 years ago........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maeve_Binchy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

They had a competition apparently with chance to win free lifetime travel.
    They were looking for a writer alright, female would have suited better I think, but definitely not WB Yeats given its usage already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

They should have given it a woman's name (ships are female after all) but the only female Irish writer I can think of who's really well known is Maeve Binchy, and she's not dead (and possibly not high brow enough compared to Joyce, Yeats etc).
    firstly, yes she isn't high brow and there's enough nobel laureates for Literature from Ireland, including Yeats, who should take precedence over Maeve Binchy.

As for her name, if you want the ship to be called "Me-vee Binky" by continental people then grand, otherwise go for something like yeats which cannot be completely mispronounced by continental types.

This ship will be doing runs directly to the continent, maybe with brexit more than were originally planned, so having a pronouncable name to non irish/ british/ anglophone people familiar with irish names, should also be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

BowWow wrote: »
    Newsflash! - Died 5 years ago........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maeve_Binchy

and there I was waiting for her next novel...
    As for her name, if you want the ship to be called "Me-vee Binky" by continental people then grand, otherwise go for something like yeats which cannot be completely mispronounced by continental types.

meh, Britanny Ferries don't seem too worried about English speakers calling their ships "Bretag-ny" or "Armory-Queue" etc.

How about the "Nora Barnacle" after Joyce's muse, she had a suitably nautical surname.

Can't get more foreign sounding than Countess Markievicz :D

Probably should have just picked a Cypriot name to match her home port...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Takes over from the ailing and poorly engineered Epsilon. She's only chartered in, AFAIK.

Epsilon is neither ailing or poorly engineered, that class of ferry are very well liked for their large freight capacity and low fuel burn. The only issue with them is the lack of bow doors which increases loading times.
    Hopefully, it will also be capable of taking walk on passengers, the 02:00 sailing to Holyhead would be a LOT more attractive than going on the 20:00 sailing and having to sit there at the station for hours until the first train.

The Stena service with similar sailing times (02.15 and 15.10 from Dublin) takes foot passengers and runs 7 days so there is little benefit to IF also taking passengers.

The fast ferry does earn it's keep, particularly in the peak tourist season but there is definitely a question over it's retention as Jonathan Swift is 18 years old now and won't be financially viable forever. IF have bought a slightly younger fast ferry of a similar design which is also a little larger, this is currently on charter to the US navy. I don't know if the cost of converting it back to passenger use would be economical though, even if they wanted to use it to replace JS.

The shipyard building the new IF ship has a webcam in their assembly hall. http://31.209.185.103/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=125901

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Epsilon is neither ailing or poorly engineered, that class of ferry are very well liked for their large freight capacity and low fuel burn. The only issue with them is the lack of bow doors which increases loading times.

They were built on a budget and it really shows. Horrible ships to work on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

and there I was waiting for her next novel...

meh, Britanny Ferries don't seem too worried about English speakers calling their ships "Bretag-ny" or "Armory-Queue" etc.

How about the "Nora Barnacle" after Joyce's muse, she had a suitably nautical surname.

I entered that Comp. with "The Maria Edgeworth" but probably too obscure for them.

Vic_08 wrote: »

The Stena service with similar sailing times (02.15 and 15.10 from Dublin) takes foot passengers and runs 7 days so there is little benefit to IF also taking passengers.

There would be 2 advantages as far as I'm concerned. The first is that it would be a better alternative if the Swift is cancelled in the afternoon, at present, if the 1700 crossing ex Holyhead is cancelled, the next available crossing is the Ulysses at 02 or thereabouts, if so hopefully, the new ship will be able to offer an alternative at around 20:00, which would be a lot more acceptable, especially for foot passengers that have got to Holyhead by rail. While the crossing at 20 is longer, it would also open up later train times into Holyhead that would be more attractive for some of the longer distances.

I am aware that I could use Stena from Dublin, but for preference, mainly on the Southern route, I use Irish Ferries, mainly because the journey time from Pembroke is better than the Fishguard route, and using Stena will complicate frequent traveller bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Here it is.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0102/930644-icg-investing-165-2m-in-new-ferry-for-dublin-holyhead/

Ferry operator Irish Continental Group (ICG) is investing €165.2m in a new cruise ferry that will operate on Irish Ferries' Dublin-Holyhead route.
    The new vessel will be able to accommodate 1,800 passengers and crew, with capacity for 330 freight units per sailing.
    The ferry is expected to be delivered by mid-2020 and, once in operation, will be the largest cruise ferry in the world in terms of vehicle capacity.
    It is expected to replace the schedule of the MV Ulysses, which in turn will replace the currently chartered vessel MV Epsilon in the Irish Ferries fleet.

000db44e-800.jpg

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Here it is.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0102/930644-icg-investing-165-2m-in-new-ferry-for-dublin-holyhead/

Ferry operator Irish Continental Group (ICG) is investing €165.2m in a new cruise ferry that will operate on Irish Ferries' Dublin-Holyhead route.
    The new vessel will be able to accommodate 1,800 passengers and crew, with capacity for 330 freight units per sailing.
    The ferry is expected to be delivered by mid-2020 and, once in operation, will be the largest cruise ferry in the world in terms of vehicle capacity.
    It is expected to replace the schedule of the MV Ulysses, which in turn will replace the currently chartered vessel MV Epsilon in the Irish Ferries fleet.

000db44e-800.jpg
    Ulysses can carry 2,166 passengers and crew, 1,342 cars and 240 trucks. She has 228 passenger berths.

Never accept any "facts" about the marine industry from the Irish Times (or RTE). How hard is it to check Wikipedia...? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There would be 2 advantages as far as I'm concerned. The first is that it would be a better alternative if the Swift is cancelled in the afternoon, at present, if the 1700 crossing ex Holyhead is cancelled, the next available crossing is the Ulysses at 02 or thereabouts, if so hopefully, the new ship will be able to offer an alternative at around 20:00, which would be a lot more acceptable, especially for foot passengers that have got to Holyhead by rail. While the crossing at 20 is longer, it would also open up later train times into Holyhead that would be more attractive for some of the longer distances.

I am aware that I could use Stena from Dublin, but for preference, mainly on the Southern route, I use Irish Ferries, mainly because the journey time from Pembroke is better than the Fishguard route, and using Stena will complicate frequent traveller bonuses.

I once got moved from the main Stena ship as it was cancelled to a small ship a few years ago as a SailRail passenger, can't remember what ship it was but it was not really cut out for anything more than truckers, ended up at Dublin Port in the early hours of the morning in the soaking rain trying to get a cab as they locked the doors as soon as I collected the luggage.

I normally sail on the Ulysses though, occasionally the fast ferry but not very often, depends on timings and capacity, look forward to seeing this new ship, although seems whilst it can take more vehicles it can take less people according to the details released?

Advertisement