Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy (Professional Qualification) MSc

• 21-05-2017 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just curious if there is anybody on here who is currently doing, has completed or is applying for Physiotherapy (Professional Qualification) MSc in UL. I emailed the college with the questions I have and they just sent me the information Brochure for the course. I also went to the open day in October last year and nobody really could tell me anything about the course either.

I'm just wondering is the course good first of all, I'm assuming it is as UL have a good reputation for Physio. As I understand the course has been accredited at this point by ISCP.

I'm also wondering about the intensity of the course, ie could I work as well a few evenings a week to keep me afloat financially. Have a Masters already and its was up to 11 hours a day in college, just wondering if this is the same.

I also asked the college could they be more specific about what they require from the GAMSAT results. Which they didn't answer either, according to the course information as long as you pass GAMSAT ( score +50 ) you are considered. I've sat and passed it ( and all sections ) but I find it hard to accept that is all you would need to get a course that only has 18 places available. As in should you be aiming for a competitive mark in the 70 percentile as you would for medicine.

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated :)
    I'm not coming from a healthcare background so I a little nervous about starting the course. I am in the process of getting some volunteering experience in a hospital and chatting to a few Physio's to see if the career itself is for me, just want to make sure the course is OK too!

** If there is a thread about this already let me know, I couldn't find a recent one.

Many thanks,
    Laura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yorkie123

Hi Laura,
    I also was interested in doing this course. I got +50 in the gamsat and have no idea what score I need to get as the university didn't offer me a place. I'm from a non science background/profession, and am wondering had this a factor to play with my entry to the course! i dont mean to be rude but would you mind saying what score you got, so it gives me an idea if I'm far off!! In terms of the course, it seems very intense and runs longer semester right into the summer. As you're packing it all into two years, I think there are short breaks between semesters, unlike normal college courses! Thanks for your help,

David

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭laura1990

Yorkie123 wrote: »
    Hi Laura,
    I also was interested in doing this course. I got +50 in the gamsat and have no idea what score I need to get as the university didn't offer me a place. I'm from a non science background/profession, and am wondering had this a factor to play with my entry to the course! i dont mean to be rude but would you mind saying what score you got, so it gives me an idea if I'm far off!! In terms of the course, it seems very intense and runs longer semester right into the summer. As you're packing it all into two years, I think there are short breaks between semesters, unlike normal college courses! Thanks for your help,

David

Hi David,

On the GAMSAT website they have a list of cutoff scores for 2016, the course was 55 as far as I can remember. I contacted the college and they were of no help ( the admissions office that is ) in what are the requirements. I have no idea do they need 55+ in each section, or is it OK if you dip below 50 in one section but have an overall high score etc.

I got 52 so will be re-sitting. Also from a non-Science background, although I don't think this makes a difference from what I gathered on the Open day last year and from the course requirements online.

Have not been on Boards for ages, so my apologies to the people who have messaged me wondering about the course etc.
    I re-sat the GAMSAT, got a better score and am now enrolled on the course. So I can now answer the questions I had originally, might be of help to others:

1. Course Good?
    Yes - I love it. Lecturers are sound, Campus is class and I feel the teaching is pretty good considering how much Ive learnt over the past semester. Its now accredited by ISCP and CORU. Class size is small too, and we get to mix in with the undergrads for a few bits.

2. Intensity of the course?
    Pretty intense to be fair. 32 hours contact time mon-fri and I needed to do a couple of hours study everyday to try and somewhat keep on top of the course work. Exams are tough going too as the volume of content is huge.

3. GAMSAT Score?
    My 55 got me 4th on the reserve list for the course, I was offered a place 2-3 weeks after initial offers were made. A 57/58 would have gotten me a first round offer as far as I'm aware. These change year to year but its safe to say you should be aiming for a high 50's score.

4. Non-healthcare / non-science background?
    Hasn't been a problem. Just have to do more study than your classmates that do have science/healthcare related backgrounds. University also don't mind, as the course is open to all backgrounds.

Hope that is of some help.
    I started a website that has info on GAMSAT, Volunteering, different Uni courses etc ( putting the old previous degree to use ha ). I kept track of everything I did over a two year period and have been adding it bit by bit to the site. May be of help to anyone looking at Graduate Entry Physio or GEM in Ireland or UK . (booksnbodyparts.wordpress.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EDDARD STARK

Hi there and thanks for your informative post.

I was just wondering what you thought about the employment prospects for a physiotherapist in Ireland?

Hi there and thanks for your informative post.

I was just wondering what you thought about the employment prospects for a physiotherapist in Ireland?

I'm still in university but as far as I can see they are quite good, unless you want to be a sports physio.

• Advertisement
Advertisement