Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The afterlife

• 12-02-2017 8:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Yurt123

Out of interest do many of ye think that when we die that that's the end of the road for us or that we're sent to heaven for eternity instead?

As much as I like the idea of eternal life I ain't buying it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

When we die we're dead. It's over. Even as a kid when the concept of living forever in heaven was discussed i didn't like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

For me there might be something. Something so fantastical and beyond our comprehension it might not even be considered an afterlife but I do believe there is some continuation after death, even if it's purely in the memory of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

If there is indeed an afterlife, it certainly isn't any afterlife described in any religious text.

Infernum wrote: »
    If there is indeed an afterlife, it certainly isn't any afterlife described in any religious text.

I couldn't agree more

and @The_Valeyard - that idea did indeed come from where you think it probably did seeing it as a child for the first time! It might have evolved a bit over the years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Most of current oldest generation do believe in heaven and lived life as best they could with hopefully they'd be rewarded with a place in heaven when they passed on,great conviction really and most of them lived to die with that aim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I believe that in the circle of life we feed and grow on vegetables, fruits, meat and fish. We take our nutrients from these foods. When we die, if buried we rot and return to the various minerals and nutrients we absorbed and give these back to the earth. The earth uses these nutrients and minerals to enrich other plant and animal life. So we live on in the sense that our constituent molecular structure is reused for new life. Not a new version of me but of life made from me.... And I'm cool with that.

I believe that in the circle of life we feed and grow on vegetables, fruits, meat and fish. We take our nutrients from these foods. When we die, if buried we rot and return to the various minerals and nutrients we absorbed and give these back to the earth. The earth uses these nutrients and minerals to enrich other plant and animal life. So we live on in the sense that our constituent molecular structure is reused for new life. Not a new version of me but of life made from me.... And I'm cool with that.

Even better is you were born in a star, and you'll be a star again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Yurt123

Does it ever scare anyone of ye when you really think about it though that when your dead that your gone for forever and ever and ever no matter what happens… freaky if you actually give it some real thought :(

Yurt123 wrote: »
    Does it ever scare anyone of ye when you really think about it though that when your dead that your gone for forever and ever and ever no matter what happens… freaky if you actually give it some real thought :(

Time is like a companion...

Joking aside, yes and no. But it makes me realise I have to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

On the surface, I don't believe in anything really.
    But I have thought about all this and still do all the time. It's one of the things that motivates me.
    That idea of having only one shot at life, within the confines/freedom of infinity of nothingness each side of it.
    This type of "belief" has utility for me. But that's as far as I need to take it with regards my convictions.

Nietzsche and through him also Jung spoke of the Self with a capital "S", to denote the whole body and mind that is our self.
    Science is catching up slowly.
    We know now that the type of ecology in our gut can dictate our personality and will/intent, to a large degree.
    There are also more bacteria making up our bodies than human cells..
    The gut is known as the second brain now.

When you hear Nietzsche or Jung speak of the "Self" instead of the "self", they are speaking of our biological drives which are superior to our cognitive thoughts and ideas.
    Bacteria or parasites for example will communicate with the body in order to get what they need. The body gets chemical signals and then informs the brain to create a feeling or sensation or emotion which will represent a rational idea towards that end.
    Better to say that the brain and mind are waiting to interpret orders form the body. The creative mind a tool to better create external circumstances that will meet those ends.
    The "person" who eventually gets an idea to eat a certain food or do a certain thing, often think that "they" thought of it themselves.
    Really these decisions are a lot of the time already made by our bodies.
    The mind is just our rational tool for navigation at the core.
    We invent thoughts to rationalise our will or base drives bubbling from the body.
    I think this also ties in with religion and existentialism too.

With that said, I have to ask now in a rhetorical sense, what do you mean when you say-
    when we die that that's the end of the road for us
    We and us, might not be what you at first thought.

I do think that when "we" the "Self" dies, we are no more. We are in our persons biological beings(mostly made up of foreign bacteria, so they are us? We are them and us combined?).

I think most likely the mind is a tool that has developed into something very sophisticated out of necessity in our environment.
    The religious part of the mind and brain is probably another abstract tool to process and rationalise death, evolved due to having the ability to predict the future and facing our own death we needed to rationalise this to cope and not stick on it cognitively.

I prefer to plan for the worst and hope for the best :)
    Let the thought of having only one life put a fire under my ass.
    At the same time, letting the thought of having fun and exploring and laughing at all possible moments lead me to a good experience.
    Knowing that when I worry for too long about things I can't effect or change, I dishonour this idea of existence and waste time.
    Although, I can fall back on blaming the bacteria, they do outnumber me :D

Or believe in heaven and sit back and wait for it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Reading so much mythology as a kid Valhala for me sounded cool but I am no warrior so I'd end up on that damn ship made of fingernails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Yurt123

If you ever think about it we've got a limited time on this planet

We spend 13 years in school where your trapped learning about rubbish that's in no way practical in the real world

When your done school you can either spend another 4 or 5 years studying to get a good job or else you can go straight into working and you'll probably work like a slave for poor pay

Most people whether they admit it or not hate working. They hate the routine of it, the early mornings, dealing with their boss etc. After work you're wrecked tired. Most of your weekend is probably spent watching tv, or else getting drunk or at least planning to get drunk

You get married, have children, realise that's the difficulties and responsibilities of having a family isn't all it's cracked up to be. You do your best to rear your family and probably grow sick of your wife or husband in the process. You've no money coz it's all spent on the family

You work up until around the age of 60 or 70, now you've all this spare time and not enough money to fill your time with worthwhile stuff

We're all like hamsters stuck on a big wheel… life is so short and we only get one shot at it and most people spend their time doing what they think they're suppose to do rather than doing what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

1. 'Life is a spark between two eternal darks.'

2. 'Life is a sigh between two secrets.'

3. 'La vie est brève. Un peu d'amour, un peu d'espoir, et puis, bonsoir.'

All true for me.

tac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭SirBorbey

A teaser:

Every human heart intuitively longs for some kind of answer to 6 deep questions:

1. Is there really a God?
    2. Where’d I come from?
    3. What determines right or wrong?
    4. Why do I sometimes feel badly about my actions?
    5. Where do I fit in the flow of history?
    6. What will happen to me after I die?* (You're not alone op!)

Charles Darwin, early in his life often referred to "a Creator" as the one responsible for the formation of a limited number of original forms of life. However, by 1871, God had virtually disappeared. He wrote, “We could conceive in some warm little pond, with all sorts of ammonia and phosphoric salts, light, heat and electricity, that a protein compound was chemically formed ready to undergo still more complex changes"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

SirBorbey, I would say that faith could be very important.
    It seems that religions a long time ago had a solid purpose for humanity.
    One purpose at least was to guide our existential insecurity, to an answer of some kind that allowed us to keep our nerve and to ground our morals for cultures to stand on and grow.
    A brace for our spirit under the stress of knowledge and the bright light of materialist advancement("lucifer").

Unfortunately that light got a bit too bright and I think science tried to take more than it was owed too quickly; this might or might not be categorized as atheism...Science trying to step into the area of faith with a counter-position of nihilism. Reactive nihilism, I don't know if that is impressively helpful or impressively insane.
    That is one reason I was and still might be a supporter of anarchism.
    Any way to level of this capitalist and technical advancement to allow some groundingvia culture and spirituality.
    The anarchist way has little need for faith or religion I think though(at least at a large organised scale).
    But it is also weakened by the theory that it can not hold up well with organizing a world that is interconnected more and more now.

With all this in mind, I do think that faith is needed once more in some way.
    Not to give people hope of another life. I am not sure that will provide them with the right motivation to fully realise and live this life.
    Instead as a way to create a foundation for new culture. To stabilize the ignorant in society with a moral framework.

Everything may be just fine as it is. It might be we have to learn these things the hard way as a species.
    sometimes I wonder though, if we will make it much further without destroying ourselves. Maybe it has already happened before. Maybe even on other planets "close by".

ps. Just remembered, Jordan Petersons lectures cover this stuff(Free on youtube) using Nietzsche and Jung's philosophies.
    His basic idea is that religion was used a s away to organise large groups and nations who had different cultures, but needed to work together.
    Religions formed as a way to find similarities in the foundational morals of these cultures and bring them all together under those same principles.
    This is what i was trying to say earlier in a very terrible way ...

We need faith founded on common principles, as our species grows and becomes more interconnected.
    However, these principles can no longer just come from an old book or solely from the new.
    They must come from our cultures commonalities, whatever they may be in principle.
    I sometimes think everything is as it should be. Simply because evolutionary wise, organisms seem to adjust in the correct way out of necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My brutal (but also to my families scorn) but my own honest view. We die, we are buried, we rot and we live on in all the organisms we fed. If we are cremated, our ashy molecules are distributed all over the world and we keep feeding other life. And this has happened for mega-millennia. We came from the stars, we return to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

FanadMan wrote: »
    My brutal (but also to my families scorn) but my own honest view. We die, we are buried, we rot and we live on in all the organisms we fed. If we are cremated, our ashy molecules are distributed all over the world and we keep feeding other life. And this has happened for mega-millennia. We came from the stars, we return to them.

It would seem that your post was somewhat analogous to the following?

"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist." And if Greek philosopher Epicurus was correct in claiming this, it agrees with The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám:

"Ah, make the most of what we yet may spend,
    Before we too into the Dust descend;
    Dust into Dust, and under Dust to lie
    Sans Wine, sans Song, sans Singer, and--sans End!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I think you'll find that Epicurus came a good while before Mr Khayyám, who must surely have read those words..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

tac foley wrote: »
    I think you'll find that Epicurus came a good while before Mr Khayyám, who must surely have read those words..

These are quite common expressions shared by many in philosophy, poetry, etc., whereupon they may or may not cite each other. We could run a long list including a more contemporary expression by Jacques Derrida in The Gift of Death.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,943 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does it ever scare anyone of ye when you really think about it though that when your dead that your gone for forever and ever and ever no matter what happens? freaky if you actually give it some real thought :(

I would say most people who do not believe in life after death have given this idea some thought.

I sometimes think, "what if I go to sleep tonight and never wake up". But then, does it matter? I'll be none the wiser!

I often think of being dead as being 'not born' yet. Same thing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Out of interest do many of ye think that when we die that that's the end of the road for us or that we're sent to heaven for eternity instead?

I myself do not tend to think in terms of "I think X is true" so much as I think in terms of "I think the majority of the evidence at this time points towards X".

Quite often the evidence is split between more than 1 conclusions however. You find situations where 60% points one way. 40% another and so on.

But the after life is one where we are on slightly firmer ground. While our knowledge of the workings and machinations of human sentience and consciousness is incomplete........ 100% of the data we DO have on it connects it to the brain while 0% of any data at this time suggests any potential disconnect between the two........... let alone any level of survival of the former following the biological death of the latter.

So I see zero evidence suggesting the existence of an after life and plenty of evidence showing the opposite. And when not some, not most, but ALL the evidence points one way and not the other........... I can do nothing but go with the former.

I can not honestly say myself that I like the idea of an eternal after life at all. Much less the specific after life espoused in religions local to me.

In general I think the idea of an eternal after life cheapens the value of our actual life here in the same way that you would cheapen gold if you flooded the market with 1 million tons of it tomorrow.

Having an eternal after life makes many actions and sacrifices in this life meaningless for example. Take the Christian Fables for example where their "god" character is said to have "given" his only son to us who in turn "sacrificed" himself/itself as a modern day version of a scapegoat for our sins.

Now the immorality of the concept of scapegoating aside......... the Nazarene in question is said to be sitting at the right hand side of his father in a state of eternal bliss and dominion. First and foremost this is hardly the result of a god having "given" us his son....... at best he LENT us his son for an non-existent fraction of eternity. And rather than having "sacrificed" his life for us he can be said at best to have traded up.

In this way the concept of an eternal life makes a mockery of anyone who actually has sacrificed themselves for a person, place or an ideal. And the "given a son" narrative is an outright mockery and insult to any parent who actually has suffered one of humanities greatest emotional turmoils............ that of outliving their own children.

That is just the eternal life in general however. But specific ones like the Christian narrative are even worse. Christopher Hitchens when he knew he was dying but it quite well. He said being told you are about to die is like being at the greatest party in the world, getting a tap on the shoulder, and being told you have to leave and the party will go on without you.

Under the Christian Narrative however he felt it was like being told you can NEVER leave the party, and what is more (in threatening undertones) while you are there the host positively INSISTS you have a good time.

So not only do I see ZERO reason to think there is, or suspect there to be, any after life.......... I see plenty of reasons to be quite glad of the fact too. The transience, rarity and delicacy of life defines its worth and value. And I am happy with the state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

When a reporter asked Clint Eastwood if he believed in an afterlife he said I'm not sure but I'm in no hurry to find out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

I myself do not tend to think in terms of "I think X is true" so much as I think in terms of "I think the majority of the evidence at this time points towards X".

Quite often the evidence is split between more than 1 conclusions however. You find situations where 60% points one way. 40% another and so on.

But the after life is one where we are on slightly firmer ground. While our knowledge of the workings and machinations of human sentience and consciousness is incomplete........ 100% of the data we DO have on it connects it to the brain while 0% of any data at this time suggests any potential disconnect between the two........... let alone any level of survival of the former following the biological death of the latter.

So I see zero evidence suggesting the existence of an after life and plenty of evidence showing the opposite. And when not some, not most, but ALL the evidence points one way and not the other........... I can do nothing but go with the former.

I can not honestly say myself that I like the idea of an eternal after life at all. Much less the specific after life espoused in religions local to me.

In general I think the idea of an eternal after life cheapens the value of our actual life here in the same way that you would cheapen gold if you flooded the market with 1 million tons of it tomorrow.

Having an eternal after life makes many actions and sacrifices in this life meaningless for example. Take the Christian Fables for example where their "god" character is said to have "given" his only son to us who in turn "sacrificed" himself/itself as a modern day version of a scapegoat for our sins.

Now the immorality of the concept of scapegoating aside......... the Nazarene in question is said to be sitting at the right hand side of his father in a state of eternal bliss and dominion. First and foremost this is hardly the result of a god having "given" us his son....... at best he LENT us his son for an non-existent fraction of eternity. And rather than having "sacrificed" his life for us he can be said at best to have traded up.

In this way the concept of an eternal life makes a mockery of anyone who actually has sacrificed themselves for a person, place or an ideal. And the "given a son" narrative is an outright mockery and insult to any parent who actually has suffered one of humanities greatest emotional turmoils............ that of outliving their own children.

That is just the eternal life in general however. But specific ones like the Christian narrative are even worse. Christopher Hitchens when he knew he was dying but it quite well. He said being told you are about to die is like being at the greatest party in the world, getting a tap on the shoulder, and being told you have to leave and the party will go on without you.

Under the Christian Narrative however he felt it was like being told you can NEVER leave the party, and what is more (in threatening undertones) while you are there the host positively INSISTS you have a good time.

So not only do I see ZERO reason to think there is, or suspect there to be, any after life.......... I see plenty of reasons to be quite glad of the fact too. The transience, rarity and delicacy of life defines its worth and value. And I am happy with the state of affairs.

You're in need of a good aul NDE.

:)

You're in need of a good aul NDE. :)

That is something of a non-reply, no idea what you are talking about here. We are talking about the after life on this thread. NDE is the experience of coming NEAR death (the clue is in the name) so it is hardly applicable.

NDE is as much an experience of the after life as me walking up to a plane in Dublin City Airport and then walking away from it is an experience of a sun holiday in morocco.

That said though, the attempts to link NDE to evidence for an after life have been as desperate as they have been flawed. No aspect of NDE supports any claims of the after life. And pretty much every aspect of NDE can be repeated in controlled situations.

For example one of the most oft cited/references aspect of NDE is OBE, the feeling of being outside ones own body.

Firstly this can be evoked in healthy people, let alone people dying on a table. We can do this in many ways, like drugs or physical stimulation (such as rotary force used to train astronauts). In fact most people reading this post can evoke it themselves at home in simple ways. There is a simple table top way to make you feel like your hand is apart from your own body. And with practice this can be extended to the entire body.

Secondly however it has been tested in controlled studies by peoples biased strongly TOWARDS finding evidence for the after life. Such as Dr. Sam Parnia.

What Parnia and others have done is notice the areas that the majority of OBE reports in hospitals claim to occupy. Such as floating above their own body. They then randomly placed unmissable and highly in-congruent objects in positions only observable by people IN those claimed positions.

Not only did they not get significant results of people reporting having noticed such objects, they got ABSOLUTELY NO positive hits of people reporting seeing those objects. Not. One.

Now I am sure one could claim that people finding themselves outside their body might be a bit distracted so we could expect them to miss such objects, even if they were garishly in-congruent with the environment. But to have absolutely ZERO results of any kind? One has to be forgiven for harboring doubts the people actually are occupying the position they claim to have experienced occupying.

So really your one-liner non-comment does not appear to be applicable or relevant in any way, as well as being quite assumptive about what I have or have not actually experienced in my life. But by all means expound upon it if you think there is some relevance there being missed.

You're in need of a good aul NDE. :)

That is something of a non-reply, no idea what you are talking about here. We are talking about the after life on this thread. NDE is the experience of coming NEAR death (the clue is in the name) so it is hardly applicable.

NDE is as much an experience of the after life as me walking up to a plane in Dublin City Airport and then walking away from it is an experience of a sun holiday in morocco.

That said though, the attempts to link NDE to evidence for an after life have been as desperate as they have been flawed. No aspect of NDE supports any claims of the after life. And pretty much every aspect of NDE can be repeated in controlled situations.

For example one of the most oft cited/references aspect of NDE is OBE, the feeling of being outside ones own body.

Firstly this can be evoked in healthy people, let alone people dying on a table. We can do this in many ways, like drugs or physical stimulation (such as rotary force used to train astronauts). In fact most people reading this post can evoke it themselves at home in simple ways. There is a simple table top way to make you feel like your hand is apart from your own body. And with practice this can be extended to the entire body.

Secondly however it has been tested in controlled studies by peoples biased strongly TOWARDS finding evidence for the after life. Such as Dr. Sam Parnia.

What Parnia and others have done is notice the areas that the majority of OBE reports in hospitals claim to occupy. Such as floating above their own body. They then randomly placed unmissable and highly in-congruent objects in positions only observable by people IN those claimed positions.

Not only did they not get significant results of people reporting having noticed such objects, they got ABSOLUTELY NO positive hits of people reporting seeing those objects. Not. One.

Now I am sure one could claim that people finding themselves outside their body might be a bit distracted so we could expect them to miss such objects, even if they were garishly in-congruent with the environment. But to have absolutely ZERO results of any kind? One has to be forgiven for harboring doubts the people actually are occupying the position they claim to have experienced occupying.

So really your one-liner non-comment does not appear to be applicable or relevant in any way, as well as being quite assumptive about what I have or have not actually experienced in my life. But by all means expound upon it if you think there is some relevance there being missed.

Ah sure when you have one, you'll get over yourself.

...you'll get over yourself.
    MOD: Such comments like the above generates Reports. If you wish to avoid being carded or banned in the future, I strongly recommend that you avoid making comments like these in the future.

Black Swan wrote: »
    ...you'll get over yourself.
    MOD: Such comments like the above generates Reports. If you wish to avoid being carded or banned in the future, I strongly recommend that you avoid making comments like these in the future.

Thank you

Ah sure when you have one, you'll get over yourself.

But as I said, "over yourself" is exactly the location it appears people having NDE inspired OBE are not getting. The Parnia Studies have shown that.

I would have been moderately impressed if even ONE report came back of a clinical patient seeing one of the objects during OBE. If even ONE had come back saying "Yes I was floating over the room and did you know there is a large digital read out flashing bright red numbers on that cupboard over there and it reads 54565?" or "I know this sounds mad but while I was floating around the room I kept seeing this large bonsai tree made entirely out of pink dildos hidden over there"

But no, no matter what objects Parnia and his team had left around the rooms........ when they interviewed the people claiming to have had OBE on the clinical table......... not ONE report came back of them having seen the objects in question.

That HAS to be informative at some level. It simply does not appear that when people experience being out of their body and hovering above it in the theater........ that they actually ARE doing so. They just feel they are.

Which coincides with what we already know. We know that we can evoke out of body experiences quite readily using technology, forces and pressures, drugs, or just plain concentration. It is possible for any reader of this post on their own table top to evoke the feeling that someone elses hand, or even a FAKE hand, is actually their own hand. We do this stuff all the time.

But of course I do not mean to talk over you to silence you, so I can but invite you to elaborate on why you think NDE relevant to the thread. Perhaps in a form a little more erudite than you have offered in the previous two posts might be easier for me to parse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

As an atheist. I always imagined that we are no different than the dead fly on the window sill. But it's also very hard to imagine a love one being like that.
    I knew the day would come where I would have to put more thought into it.
    "Matter is neither created or destroyed" we live on, through the molecule level. Turning into flowers, others anaimals etc.
    But the true after life is the same as every other animal on this planet. Through our kids. Procreation. Basic function of all animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

As someone who experienced death of about 2 and half minutes at the age of 17 - and at the same time someone who has its strongest beliefs rooted in science, I cannot give the straight answer to this.
    I certainly was not 'dead' while technically I was, but I am still not convinced that what I experienced was not some form of brain neurons activity.
    But it is the strangest thing I ever experienced.
    Changed my life, that's for sure.

Advertisement