Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2019, 00:51   #1
mod9maple

Giving children to different mothers the same name?

Has anyone ever come across this? I don't mean a child from a father's first marriage dies and then another to a second or third wife is given the same name. I mean a child is christened John for eg in 1845. John's mother later dies and his father remarries. Another John is named born to the second wife for eg in 1860. Twice I've come across it! And I'm beginning to doubt myself.

I have a case of three children to a second wife named Michael, Mary and Patrick; three other children to the first wife have the same name! Is this possible; has anyone else come across this?

I know for sure that a great-great-grandfather of mine married 3 times and he gave a son from both the first and third marriage the name John, so I do have evidence for it. Both lived to adulthood and married.
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 01:19   #2
Bandana boy

George foreman has five sons all named George and a daughter georgetta
(3) thanks from:
10-09-2019, 02:02   #3
mod9maple

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=616324.0

An interesting thread, that I hope Pinky doesn't mind me posting, which answers the question.

Anyone else though come across this in their research?
10-09-2019, 06:31   #4
Vetch

The children might have been known by their middle names.
10-09-2019, 09:01   #5
Hermy

I have at least one example of this in my tree - husband dies after only 7 years of marriage, wife remarries and has two children, the first given the same name as a daughter from the first marriage, and the second given the same name as the son from the first marriage, but as a middle name in his case.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 09:05   #6
Maryanne84

My grandmother called her 4th son Patrick. He died and the next son was also called Patrick. My father (the oldest son) had a vague recollection of a baby dying but couldn’t remember his name. He got talking to a local priest who said he’d have a look. That’s when it came to light.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 09:21   #7
threetrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetch View Post
The children might have been known by their middle names.
This, or they may have been known by another name completely. I think babies were baptised quickly so name choices were made quickly. I have come across "second" family siblings with the same names as the "first" family.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 09:47   #8
Hermy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
My grandmother called her 4th son Patrick. He died and the next son was also called Patrick. My father (the oldest son) had a vague recollection of a baby dying but couldn’t remember his name. He got talking to a local priest who said he’d have a look. That’s when it came to light.
In the case of the opening post the child doesn't die but the name repeats.
Thanks from:
10-09-2019, 09:49   #9
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandana boy View Post
George foreman has five sons all named George and a daughter georgetta
And an appliance in his kitchen
Advertisement
10-09-2019, 09:52   #10
pinkypinky

I'm pretty sure I've come across it once in my family but can't remember where exactly.
Thanks from:
11-09-2019, 16:09   #11
paumurp

My uncle has 2 sons with the same name from 2 different relationships. To add to the confusion they have his name.

So if he is Patrick, there's Patrick Sr, Patrick Jr and Little Patrick. It's only confusing for other people I guess
Thanks from:
12-09-2019, 11:08   #12
KildareFan

How about two sons with the same mother with the same name?

Friend of mine discovered his mother had two sons by two separate relationships before she married his father. The two sons were adopted separately and when my friend went looking for them after his mother died, he discovered his two half brothers had been given the same name.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 14:45   #13
Garlinge

Names were given to endow the protection of the saints or of a deceased family member. I have two Mary's in a family but known by their middle names in later years. Mary was also given to a male child but as a middle name.
Yesterday, 15:26   #14
GerardKeating

Send a message via ICQ to GerardKeating Send a message via AIM to GerardKeating Send a message via MSN to GerardKeating Send a message via Yahoo to GerardKeating Send a message via Skype™ to GerardKeating
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareFan View Post
How about two sons with the same mother with the same name?
Yep, my sister in law did this, two sons with the same first name, both are known by their middle name.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion