Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Demons Souls

• 06-05-2009 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Anyone hear of this? No sign of it reaching this side of the planet yet, anyway hearing great things about it. Just ordered it from e-bay, fecking pricey tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZTFKB5l3Ig

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Yeah, have my eye on this one. It's only realised in Japan so would your version be in japanesse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭IsMiseConor

From what I've heard it was realised all over Asia and you can change the language setting to English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have it. You need to buy the Asian copy and not the japanese one. The Asian copy has chinese and english (manual is chinese but english leaflet).

There is a big review of it on Eurogamer that would put it into better words then me.

Eurogamer review

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've heard nothing but praise about this game. It looks like a western hack and slash but supposedly it's more like a very slow tactical devil may cry were you may be slow but you have to learn enemy attack patterns off to get anywhere. People who have played it are already saying it's their game of the year. I'm really intrigued but I'm broke at the moment and by the time I can buy it it will probably be 150 euro on ebay.

As people were saying the asian/korean version is in full english.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Got the korean\english version well at least thats what the ebay dude said it was. A cool feature i heard about is if you're online you can see ghosts of others players doing the level, so you know here to look out etc in case anyhing jumps out or the ghost give a hint on how to kill something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got the korean\english version well at least thats what the ebay dude said it was. A cool feature i heard about is if you're online you can see ghosts of others players doing the level, so you know here to look out etc in case anyhing jumps out or the ghost give a hint on how to kill something.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Players can leave hints for you like if there's a trap and can help you out. There's also a co-op mode. The other feature is that you can force your way into someone elses game and take them on PvP as a dark ghost. It sounds intrusive but I've heard that it adds an awful lot to the game and loads of tension. There's also a system where dark and light are balanced on whether you play co-op or PvP and this affects lots of things like the types and toughness of enemies and even opens up new areas of the game.

I decided to treat myself and buy this game. There's a huge demand for it at the moment so it's out of stock until the end of May but when I get it I'll give some impressions of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I decided to treat myself and buy this game. There's a huge demand for it at the moment so it's out of stock until the end of May but when I get it I'll give some impressions of it.

Don't know how you feel about ebay and Hong Kong, but here: Demon Souls

EDIT: Sorry, I just noticed it is also end of may...:(

Ebay seems to be the best bet if you want it quick but there's definitely a shipment at the end of may so I've my preordered. I can wait Fallout 3 and Persona are keeping me more than occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

They have it on Playasia for under 50 quid (not sure about delivery) Has anyone ordered from here before? it's out of stock at the mo but should be back soon

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-77-1-49-en-15-demons+solu-70-36pw.html

• Advertisement

The problem with them was that after the shennanigans of Sony effectively closing down lik-sang for selling PSP's abroad to europe, play-asia won't sell any sony products to europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

The problem with them was that after the shennanigans of Sony effectively closing down lik-sang for selling PSP's abroad to europe, play-asia won't sell any sony products to europe.

Balls! oh well...

Yesasia might sell it to EU. It's Sony Europe that caused this **** as US customers have no problems importing. It's a damn shame since PS3 is region free.

Yesasia and everywhere else on the demons souls wiki are back dated until the end of may shipment.

Yesasia and everywhere else on the demons souls wiki are back dated until the end of may shipment.

ouch!

I guess i got lucky and ordered before the cult demand kicked in. Only found out about it from a lad on kotaku

/Strokes Demon's Souls copy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I ordered it from eBay on Monday and it arrived today. It was about €63 including shipping. Can't wait to get home and get stuck in :D

It's frustratingly tough, huge game.

What classes did you guys pick?

What classes did you guys pick?

Started with the barbarian then i stated again with the knight. Too early in the game to figure if that was a good decison.

Its cool watching the ghosts of other dudes running around. When you die you'll leave a blood stain other players will have the option of clicking X on the stain and you see a ghost of your guy dieing, can be handy at times for sussing out traps. You can leave messages too, like beware strong foe ahead or hit this(trigger a trap for enemies ahead).

Very frustating in that when you get killed you start of waaaay back and lose all your souls. There's a few tricky bits where you've to time a run and if you cock it up its an instant death. Theres 1 particular bit thats driving me insane at the moment, it involves a series of 3 of these runs with some fighting inbetween. Whatever you do, do not let more than 2 enemies swarm you, very tough then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭xeni

Started with the barbarian then i stated again with the knight. Too early in the game to figure if that was a good decison.

Afaik the class you pick does not really matter in the long run as you can max out all skills in the end anyway (like 5 playthroughs end :P). Class seems to be more about how you look and what weapons you have at the start and how easy (or hard) it's gonna be for you in the first few hours of gameplay.

And as a bonus http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/demon-s-souls very useful ;)

• Advertisement

The knights armour is handy at the start. got the 1st 3 demons. the last 2 are quite easy to get if you have a shedload of arrows. The winged spear is an absolute must. unless you've a high fire resistance it requires suicide but is worth going for. Its on the bridge that the dragon keeps sweeping across. requires 18 strength tho. same can be said for the flame shield by where the dragon rests.

Guys, my copy of Demons Souls arrived today courtesy of NCSX. They mentioned the slim possibility of a shipment in the middle of may so I'm using my amazing powers of deduction to say that the shipment arrived.

Grr... the PS3 is a ****ing joke. 20 mins install for a new system update, another 10 mins for a tiny update to the game and I'm just waiting for the mandatory install. It's like the C64 all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Never understood what takes the PS3 so bloody long when updating things. Games that take 30 seconds to update on the 360, take 30 minutes to update on the PS3 and god forbid I have to update the firmware. Might as well go out and come back a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Grr... the PS3 is a ****ing joke. 20 mins install for a new system update, another 10 mins for a tiny update to the game and I'm just waiting for the mandatory install. It's like the C64 all over again.
    Well if it annoys you that much, just throw it out and give me your Demon Souls. I promise itll never hurt you again then :pac:

No way am I doing that, just playing it and i can tell already that it's brilliant stuff and the online features are just weird. It's creepy seeing other ghosts of players wandering around and seeing how they died, it really adds something to the game and I've never seen it done before.

Oh and they weren't lying when they said it was hard.

Hmm, I really didn't know what to expect with this game. From the look of it I was expecting some western rpg type hack and slash but it's a pure action game with a western rpg inventory. The combat is really good and grows on you, there's a lot of options from using shields, two weapons, projectiles, using weapons double handed, blocking, dodging or parrying. It's really tough as well in an old school way. You'll die a lot but you'll get a little bit further each time. Opening a gate in the first area to make my progress a little quicker felt like a massive victory. And I really love the online stuff despite not even getting to the co-op elements.

One thing I didn't like was finding a blood stain that showed myself dying in a really stupid way :/ It reminded me that I was a tit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Guys, my copy of Demons Souls arrived today courtesy of NCSX.

I just tried ordering it through NCSX... but their shipping is almost as dear as the game? (about $62) Is there a way to get cheaper shipping through NCSX?

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I just tried ordering it through NCSX... but their shipping is almost as dear as the game? (about $62) Is there a way to get cheaper shipping through NCSX?

That's insane. I paid around $62 for mine off eBay including shipping

• Advertisement

Thats strange, I was only charge 74 dollars which came to about 55 euros for my copy :/ strange. I just rechecked the 3v statement as well.

Advertisement