Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCMATIC v AVG SECURITY.

• 08-09-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Hi, my op. sys. is Vista and for a couple of years I've been using AVG Internet Security and PC Tune-up and have been very happy with it, no spam and no real problems. Now however I need to save some money, AVG is not cheap, and have been looking at PCMatic. It works out at approx. half the cost.

Can anyone who uses PCMatic please let me know how it is for them, any spam or virus probs?.

Any and all comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tony H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Tony H wrote: »

Thanks but wouldn't be happy dealing with a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

never heard of pcmatic so its probably not good

get avast or avira for a free anti-virus

then malwarebytes/superantispyware

a good browser like SRWare Iron, install some security extensions like ghostery/ad-block

all free, easy to use, job done

jsa112 wrote: »
    never heard of pcmatic so its probably not good

get avast or avira for a free anti-virus

then malwarebytes/superantispyware

a good browser like SRWare Iron, install some security extensions like ghostery/ad-block

all free, easy to use, job done

PCMatic have been around for some time, not exactly new!. They have recently started TV advertising as well. I haven't heard of some of the progs that you mention, that doesn't mean they are not good.

I would rather pay money and get a complete package than have to download numerous progs, as you seem to be suggesting, and change my browser:confused:.

But thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I've never used PCMatic but the ads remind me of those Cilit Bang Ads - high pressure with little real meat to support their claims. From what I've read it's a PUP - Potentially Unwanted Program - and may even be considered junk by most. Google it and see for yourself, to get you started have a read of this and this.

I've used AVG Free in the past and found it quite good for a free program, Avast is a well regarded product and features in most if not all reviews in the industry press. There is a paid version if you want to part with money but the suggestions by JSA112 (a well respected and frequent poster in this forum) are all good and sensible ways of protecting yourself online.

Ken

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    I've never used PCMatic but the ads remind me of those Cilit Bang Ads - high pressure with little real meat to support their claims. From what I've read it's a PUP - Potentially Unwanted Program - and may even be considered junk by most. Google it and see for yourself, to get you started have a read of this and this.

I've used AVG Free in the past and found it quite good for a free program, Avast is a well regarded product and features in most if not all reviews in the industry press. There is a paid version if you want to part with money but the suggestions by JSA112 (a well respected and frequent poster in this forum) are all good and sensible ways of protecting yourself online.

Ken

Thanks for this Ken, I agree about the quality of ads!. As you will see from my original post I've been using the paid version of AVG for some time now, having switched from Avast, and have been happy with it, just trying to save some money. I did google PC Matic before posting but I never really trust/believe reviews, and there were as many for as against, prefer to get first hand experience. I was hoping to hear from someone who has used it.
    My AVG hasn't expired yet so I'll let this run for another couple of weeks but it looks as though no boards member uses PC Matic (or is prepared to admit it).
    I haven't had to use this site very often, I'm pleased to say, so the name JSA112 was unknown to me but I thought that "never heard of pcmatic so it's probably not good" a very strange statement, and the other suggestions slightly over the top.

Again, thanks.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

No problem but remember that if you type in PCMatic into Google you will get lots of results which are paid for by PCMatic !! There is even a pcmaticreview.net website which is so obviously written by the makers themselves. Scroll to the bottom of the page ;)

The only real results are those carried out by the industry, many of the IT industry mags regularly feature comparison articles for the top 10 AV suites - PC Magazine for example or PC Advisor

I think it's safe to say you won't find PCMatic in any of their top 10 lists ;)

Ken

Thanks Ken, exactly why I wanted to know if anyone on boards was/had actually using it.

Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Irishgoatman, I would go with what jsa112 says, it will take you about an hour to setup and will cost you nothing, but I wouldn't be too worried about the browser personally, but I'd seldom be in area's of the net where you'd encounter problems. Once you've setup avast and malwarebytes it's just a case of leave them alone and let them do their thing.

21/25

Thanks everybody, it's obvious that no boards members use PC Matic so that, in itself, answers my original question:D.

On the basis that I've had no problems with AVG, and I like everything being in one package, I suspect I'll be staying with them. I'll just have to have a few less Guinness next month to pay for it:(.

Once again, many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 duckflyr

I use avg free, nothing more needed as far as the paid edition goes in my opinion. I have never used PCMatic, I call these 'helper applications'
    that serve no real practical purpose and often end up causing more issues. Firefox, adblock plus, NoScript, CCleaner, avg free, basic windows firewall. I say keep it simple. Browse with a limited account helps.

Advertisement