Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stratosphere watch 2018/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

orthographic=-0.27,86.88,205

Dv1wkMyUwAA4_0w.jpg

Amy H Butler @DrAHButler

😠65 of 65 ensemble members with splits by Jan 3 (wind reversal should occur before then).

So it looks like it will barely hit ireland then? What's the outlook weather wise? Roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

Reggie. wrote: »
    So it looks like it will barely hit ireland then? What's the outlook weather wise? Roughly.

I don't think it works like that Reggie. The more expert will come on and explain. However to my knowledge that's a representation of the displacement in the troposphere. A large chunk of the vortex heading into central Europe. The knock on in the stratosphere takes 2-3 weeks. However with such a displacement of the polar vortex in Europe i feel it greatly enhances our chances of seeing easterlies or north easterlies with Atlantic blocking. That's probably all anyone can say at the moment for Ireland. But the continent will be very cold. So any shift in wind direction and we've a large cold pool near us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The outlook is like what the Met Office are saying
    By the third week of January there is then an increased likelihood of a change to much colder weather generally, bringing an enhanced risk of frost, fog and snow. These conditions may then continue to the end of the month, but some milder, wet and windy interludes also remain possible throughout this period.

That pretty much sums it up, a greater than average chance of cold weather for the second half of the month but milder weather is possible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Artane2002 wrote: »
    The outlook is like what the Met Office are saying

That pretty much sums it up, a greater than average chance of cold weather for the second half of the month but milder weather is possible too.
    That is the UK met office?
    That could mean Scotland and northern England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

That is the UK met office?
    That could mean Scotland and northern England.

Yes it is the UK Met Office. The forecast is for the UK but I think the same can be applied for here... a greater than average chance of cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Look at my post in the FI charts thread from earlier for details.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109008364&postcount=3

This is now an official major SSW, the zonal winds at 60N 10hPa have reversed to easterly.

https://twitter.com/SimonLeeWx/status/1080228273001517056

GEFS today (the operational run differs somewhat though) show the zonal winds failing to recover from this reversion for the next two weeks. The depth of the reversion is not to the extent of February 2018 but it's much longer than those ones. That is an extremely long time for reversed zonal winds.

https://twitter.com/jhomenuk/status/1080233159336345602

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The ECM ENS out to 15 days shows no major effects of the SSW for us, with the NAO trending more positive, if anything.

First chart:
    Top panels: different scenarios and their respective number of members (Fj.) and this as % of total members.
    Lower panels: Climatology. +NAO, -NAO, Blocking, Ridging.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2019010200_360.png

ec-ens_nat_gh500mean_gh500std_thk500mean_2019010200_360.png

The UK Met Office have also changed their long term outlook, it still mentions colder weather but it has been pushed back to the third week of January. So we have to see is it simply a delay in the effects of the SSW affecting our region, or is it the case the daughter vortices arising from the split are not going to end up in favourable places for us to have a cold outbreak- a part of the vortex in the Atlantic is not what we want to end up with.

• Advertisement

The UK Met Office have also changed their long term outlook, it still mentions colder weather but it has been pushed back to the third week of January. So we have to see is it simply a delay in the effect off the SSW affecting our region, or is it the case the daughter vortices arising from the split are not going to end up in favourable places for us to have a cold outbreak- a part of the vortex in the Atlantic is not what we want to end up with.

More the case of the fact there is fine margins and not much signal of the impacts propagating to the troposphere to give the greatest response (though what you mentioned could be part of it as the split is predicted to not be in the best favoured spot like February 2018 was).

This was the GFS for next Monday for instance. You can see some propagation to higher latitudes at 1000hPa but not much to 60N.

WW4SS0V.png

Did not post today as the zonal winds have reversed to easterly and it's a case of wait and see. At the same time, the split is beginning to occur (will really get going by the weekend).

https://twitter.com/MetcastUK/status/1080589084035334144

I would think some reasonable confidence on the outlook would begin to appear by mid-week next week.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    More the case of the fact there is fine margins and not much signal of the impacts propagating to the troposphere to give the greatest response (though what you mentioned could be part of it as the split is predicted to not be in the best favoured spot like February 2018 was).

I would think some reasonable confidence on the outlook would begin to appear by mid-week next week.

Would the QBO changing from easterly to westerly have any impact on the warming possibly not downwelling properly to the troposphere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Would the QBO changing from easterly to westerly have any impact on the warming possibly not downwelling properly to the troposphere?

It would probably shift the cold plunge further east

Further warming at 30hPa in the past day (indication that the warming is still propagating down to the lower stratosphere).

https://twitter.com/SnowbieWx/status/1080798553360998400

For the next 10 days the split doesn't appear like it will propagate much below 50 hPa, so it remains to be seen if there is any real trop effect. A brief 1040-hPa high sets up over the Pole but doesn't seem to want to establish itself long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I have to admit I am a bit cynical about SSW events and their influence on the ground. Not saying that there isn't something 'in it', but I can't help thinking that there is a lot of hype involved.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I have to admit I am a bit cynical about SSW events and their influence on the ground. Not saying that there isn't something 'in it', but I can't help thinking that there is a lot of hype involved.

Well better to be cynical than blindly think it will deliver cold here! However I also think it would be naive to think such changes above won’t have any impact.

The funny thing could be that the charts are now showing some cold possibly arriving just in FI which would be before any SSW impacts!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

A modest split is expected around the 5th jan followed by another significant warning around Russia. CFS is forecasting HP around Greenland around the 17th jan then a proper northern blocking on the 24th

YanSno wrote: »
    A modest split is expected around the 5th jan followed by another significant warning around Russia. CFS is forecasting HP around Greenland around the 17th jan then a proper northern blocking on the 24th

Major pinch of salt.

Major pinch of salt.

For the roads you mean Gaoth ;)

• Advertisement

For the roads you mean Gaoth ;)

At some stage, yes, but I wouldn't be buying it in based on the CFS. I keep harping on about it but the best model when it comes to the stratosphere (and pretty much everything else imo) is the ECM, with its 137 vertical levels versus the 64 of the GFS. Until the ECM starts to show something any way exciting we won't be seeing Kermit.de.frog... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Yeah there's a lot of currency from some sources downplaying the potential impacts of this upcoming downwelling
    2013 had little enough effect in Ireland iirc but notable in east and Se England
    So there's that element too

I've a gut feeling on this though,weather has been doing crazy things lately,it may have more intrigue ahead for us?

At some stage, yes, but I wouldn't be buying it in based on the CFS. I keep harping on about it but the best model when it comes to the stratosphere (and pretty much everything else imo) is the ECM, with its 137 vertical levels versus the 64 of the GFS. Until the ECM starts to show something any way exciting we won't be seeing Kermit.de.frog... ;-)

In my, 16 years model watching, ECM far the best.

I started watching around this date 2003 when, on a Sunday, Met Eireann forecast snow on an easterly for Tuesday. It turned out to be a Phantom. An early lesson not heeded.

The UKMO is good too. Until i see the UK Met Office long range update abandoning the idea of frost, fog and snow later in the month I remain hopeful.
    It seems their in house model still expects a cold outbreak, but it could be a slow burner- perhaps it will be the subsequent warmings after the initial split that turn things in our favour or it could be the downwelling from the initial split takes a full three weeks to influence the weather in the troposhere.

NOAA_1_2003010518_2.png

Just out of curiosity. Here's the synoptics from Sunday 5th Jan when i first started model watching. Ger Fleming warned of snow in Leinster and Munster on the Tuesday. Presume the low was to collide with an easterly.

As GFS archive only goes back to 2007 and the ECM 2010 i can't see what they predicted for that Tuesday.

P.S. Sorry i know i'm in the wrong thread, Winter discussion or Stats more appropriate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note Posters are reminded to stay on topic.

Off topic posts removed.

Refrain from discussing other members.

Please adhere to the forum charter.

Thanks

The zonal mean zonal wind at 60N 10hPa today is -9.2 m/s which is the lowest for 4th January in the ERA interim record back to 1979. Previous record lowest was -7.0 m/s in 1985.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The zonal mean zonal wind at 60N 10hPa today is -9.2 m/s which is the lowest for 4th January in the ERA interim record back to 1979. Previous record lowest was -7.0 m/s in 1985.

1985 had a nice little wintry spell mid month iirc. Snow to all levels.

NOAA_1_1985011618_2.png

• Advertisement

1985 had a nice little wintry spell mid month iirc. Snow to all levels.

I did a historical post on January 1985 last year on this page of the stats thread as the February 2018 SSW had very similar evolution to the one in early 1985.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057714322&page=16

Advertisement