Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Anyone know what is supposed to have happened after the Milltown game yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭spurshero

grbear wrote: »
    Anyone know what is supposed to have happened after the Milltown game yesterday?
    Wasn’t there but what I was told was milltown we’re not happy with the referees decisions over the course of the game and supposedly he was assaulted after game by a supporter . Can’t verify this but it’s what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

spurshero wrote: »
    Wasn’t there but what I was told was milltown we’re not happy with the referees decisions over the course of the game and supposedly he was assaulted after game by a supporter . Can’t verify this but it’s what I was told.

4 minutes injury time announced.

Milltown a point up.

Ref gave Salthill a free in about 3 and a half minutes into injury time. Armstrong kicked it wide.

Everybody expected whistle to be blown after ball to be kicked out. Ref played almost 2 more minutes - Salthill equalised. Full time whistle went bringing it into extra time.

Milltown red card at start of extra time & Salthill went on to win.

Confirmed that McDaid is back from Australia. Could be a big addition to that Galway half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

spurshero wrote: »

Galway footballers homepage said he got a wallop in the tunnel after the match.

• Advertisement

I'd heard there'd been an incident after the match but had no idea beyond that. If it's true that the ref got hit then hopefully the perpetrator can be identified and dealt with appropriately.

Confirmed that McDaid is back from Australia. Could be a big addition to that Galway half back line.
    On a personal level you'd have to disappointed that going to Australia hadn't worked out for him but then the Galway fan part of your brain kicks in and starts going "McDaid, Silke and Mulkerrin could be serious additions to the defence next year".

On a personal level you'd have to disappointed that going to Australia hadn't worked out for him but then the Galway fan part of your brain kicks in and starts going "McDaid, Silke and Mulkerrin could be serious additions to the defence next year".

McDaid and Silke yes. I think Mulkerrin might still be eligible for the U-20's next year so they might leave him with them. Although I'd expect him to be on the panel for the league at least.

Half back line is where the team is weakest probably so having Silke, McDaid and Molloy hopefully kicking on next year would be a big upgrade. If Corofin go on a long run again though it could count against Molloy's chances to make an impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

I'd heard there'd been an incident after the match but had no idea beyond that. If it's true that the ref got hit then hopefully the perpetrator can be identified and dealt with appropriately.

Think it's fairly well known who was perp. Embarrassing for parties and club involved.

It's always at ref's discretion how much added time is allowed, I'd usually be in favour of playing a bit more than is indicated on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

McDaid and Silke yes. I think Mulkerrin might still be eligible for the U-20's next year so they might leave him with them. Although I'd expect him to be on the panel for the league at least.

Half back line is where the team is weakest probably so having Silke, McDaid and Molloy hopefully kicking on next year would be a big upgrade. If Corofin go on a long run again though it could count against Molloy's chances to make an impression.

As much as it's good to see Corofin doing well at a National level, and nothing against them but it might actually be better for Galway if they didn't go all the way to an All-Ireland Final again as it takes their players out of the mix for almost the entire league and you'd like to see Silke back for the league and Molloy given a chance aswell. With McDaid back also that does give some good options in the half back line, which is much needed. Bradshaw can't defend and Cathal Sweeney is a good honest player but limited.

Cortoon 2-9 Kilconly 0-11

If I'm right that means Kilconly are down and Cortoon are in the playoff?

Any know the story with the Tuam match?

• Advertisement

Tuam Stars 1-9 Barna 0-9.

Barna-Cortoon next week I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭threeball

Cortoon 2-9 Kilconly 0-11

If I'm right that means Kilconly are down and Cortoon are in the playoff?

Any know the story with the Tuam match?

Ya Kilconly are down. Cortoon needed to win by 7 or more to leap frog the team above them so they're still likely to go down.

Salthill-Knocknacarra 1-10 Mountbellew-Moylough 1-13

Evan Murphy stretchered off with a serious looking leg injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Evan Murphy stretchered off with a serious looking leg injury.

Didn't get a free for that either. First game was good. Few games in a row didn't help Salthill. Murphy going off and Armie seemed badly hindered by his back probably swung it M/M way. Daly scored some cracking points. Second game was a load of s***e. Annaghdown never tried to lay a hand on Corofin. Had a breeze, Corofin down to 14 and it still took them 18 minutes to get a score in the second half. Dylan Wall looked good. No-one else really stood out. Frankie Burke and Ciaran Duggan very disappointing for Annaghdown. Kerin and Ian Burke had a good battle. M/M stand off Corofin like Annaghdown did there will only be one result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭threeball

Didn't get a free for that either. First game was good. Few games in a row didn't help Salthill. Murphy going off and Armie seemed badly hindered by his back probably swung it M/M way. Daly scored some cracking points. Second game was a load of s***e. Annaghdown never tried to lay a hand on Corofin. Had a breeze, Corofin down to 14 and it still took them 18 minutes to get a score in the second half. Dylan Wall looked good. No-one else really stood out. Frankie Burke and Ciaran Duggan very disappointing for Annaghdown. Kerin and Ian Burke had a good battle. M/M stand off Corofin like Annaghdown did there will only be one result.

Last year they went full on blanket defence. Made for a crap game and did their attacking threat no favours. Corofin are too slick retaining possession for that to work. Hopefully they learned their lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Corofin were nowhere close to their best and played nearly the full 2nd half with 14 and still won pulling up.
    County men for annaghdown were very disappointing. Annaghdown could've been level or a point up at half time if comer realised people came to watch more than just him. He seemed totally unwilling to lay a ball off to anyone else even when he had damn all chance of scoring and hot turned over countless times. I didn't see him lay a ball back to any other forward all game.
    Corofin play lovely football, a great mix of long kick passing and slick hand passing. No egos and very unselfish. Worthy winners and deserved to win by double scores. Only way to beat them is man marking, the marking space only frees them up for the quick handpassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Dylan Wall was outstanding today, I'd love to see a half back line of Kieran Molloy, Wall and Cillian McDaid for Galway next year, a lot of that will depend on how Corofin do in the club series from here in, they'll take care of Mountbellew Moylough with ease going on what I've seen from both sides so far this year. Annaghdown were disappointing today after all the hype about them this year, agree with what's been said about Comer above, seemed to think he was the only one capable of doing anything so tried to do everything himself and ended up doing nothing really. Kerin and Ian Burke had a good battle, neither of them got one over the other really, it was probably 50 50. Steede's tackle was reckless but thought a red was harsh, you'd only see a yellow in an inter county game for the same incident. Kieran Fitzgerald was like a lad reliving his youth, had a great battle with Comer and came out on top. Daithí Burke was also excellent, the catch he made in the second half was brilliant.

Dylan Wall was outstanding today, I'd love to see a half back line of Kieran Molloy, Wall and Cillian McDaid for Galway next year, a lot of that will depend on how Corofin do in the club series from here in, they'll take care of Mountbellew Moylough with ease going on what I've seen from both sides so far this year. Annaghdown were disappointing today after all the hype about them this year, agree with what's been said about Comer above, seemed to think he was the only one capable of doing anything so tried to do everything himself and ended up doing nothing really. Kerin and Ian Burke had a good battle, neither of them got one over the other really, it was probably 50 50. Steede's tackle was reckless but thought a red was harsh, you'd only see a yellow in an inter county game for the same incident. Kieran Fitzgerald was like a lad reliving his youth, had a great battle with Comer and came out on top. Daithí Burke was also excellent, the catch he made in the second half was brilliant.

Hard to see them beat Corofin from what I've seen too. However, Corofin will be caught one day and it'll be a day nobody expects them to be caught so.......

Padraig Joyce has been nominated for the position of Galway U20 football manager. Former senior manager Val Daly is also nominated, as is former minor boss Stephen Joyce.

U20 hurling job will be a head-to-head between incumbent Tony Ward and minor winning manager Jeff Lynskey.

Padraig Joyce has been nominated for the position of Galway U20 football manager. Former senior manager Val Daly is also nominated, as is former minor boss Stephen Joyce.

U20 hurling job will be a head-to-head between incumbent Tony Ward and minor winning manager Jeff Lynskey.

Wonder is Joycey interested. Stephen Joyce has the credentials so he wouldn't be a bad selection. I've issues with Val Dalys temperament. I think his "style" of management is more suitable to adults. I'd imagine Jeff Lynskey is a shoe in given his recent success.

• Advertisement

Wonder is Joycey interested. Stephen Joyce has the credentials so he wouldn't be a bad selection. I've issues with Val Dalys temperament. I think his "style" of management is more suitable to adults. I'd imagine Jeff Lynskey is a shoe in given his recent success.

Are not all the nominations interested? Otherwise they wouldn't have let their name go forward?

I think they are aware that Kevin Walsh may have just 1 or 2 years left at the senior job. Do well with the U-20s in that time will see them in a good position to look for the senior role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭MfMan

Agree with your misgivings about Daly; don't think Stephen Joyce is good enough on the day of a match either though, better at preparing teams. No sign of John Divilly knocking about?

Lynskey night and day better than Tony Ward, but who would take Minors then? Big loss to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ready4liftoff

MfMan wrote: »
    Agree with your misgivings about Daly; don't think Stephen Joyce is good enough on the day of a match either though, better at preparing teams. No sign of John Divilly knocking about?

Lynskey night and day better than Tony Ward, but who would take Minors then? Big loss to them.

Brian Hanley from Athenry is the new minor hurling manager for Galway in 2019, as he is the only nominee for the position. He managed the Galway U16 hurlers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Brian Hanley from Athenry is the new minor hurling manager for Galway in 2019, as he is the only nominee for the position. He managed the Galway U16 hurlers this year.

Managed the Westmeath seniors for a couple of years as well

Ronan Steede's red card has been rescinded so he's free to play for Corofin on Sunday. Thought it was very harsh at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Think Jeff is right man for the job, u21 is critical for us now to blood some players to Senior, seniors more than capable of another all Ireland but new faces will get them over to line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Thomas's Clarinbridge the game of the championship to date - some intensity on show on a lovely fresh day. Some serious score taking too, in front of a massive crowd

The football sounded like an absolute horror show from listening on GBFM. Club football really is atrocious to watch these days. You'd have to think Corofin will push on the next day

jr86 wrote: »
    Thomas's Clarinbridge the game of the championship to date - some intensity on show on a lovely fresh day. Some serious score taking too, in front of a massive crowd

The football sounded like an absolute horror show from listening on GBFM. Club football really is atrocious to watch these days. You'd have to think Corofin will push on the next day

There's been some great skill on show in the football this year, yesterday was just a complete horror show. MM were determined not to let Corofin get going and in fairness after the last couple of beatings they've shipped from them you couldn't blame them for being so defensive even though it was horrific to watch. Even before the throw in their forwards lined up on the Corofin 45 ready to sprint into defence at the throw in. Corofin were uncharacteristicly sloppy and flat, when you see Ian Burke coming off you know things aren't going well! You'd think they'll be a different team the next day, they were extremely lucky to draw. Referee was inconsistent yesterday I thought, spotted a foul on MM man inside and rightly gave the free for it but when the same was done to Sice minutes before that he told him to get up. Wouldn't agree with all the uproar about the time keeping though, at least 3 minutes was announced, Barry
    McHugh took nearly a minute over a free and there was a substitution made in injury time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

jr86 wrote: »

An awful game in Pearse Stadium.

• Advertisement

There's been some great skill on show in the football this year, yesterday was just a complete horror show. MM were determined not to let Corofin get going and in fairness after the last couple of beatings they've shipped from them you couldn't blame them for being so defensive even though it was horrific to watch. Even before the throw in their forwards lined up on the Corofin 45 ready to sprint into defence at the throw in. Corofin were uncharacteristicly sloppy and flat, when you see Ian Burke coming off you know things aren't going well! You'd think they'll be a different team the next day, they were extremely lucky to draw. Referee was inconsistent yesterday I thought, spotted a foul on MM man inside and rightly gave the free for it but when the same was done to Sice minutes before that he told him to get up. Wouldn't agree with all the uproar about the time keeping though, at least 3 minutes was announced, Barry McHugh took nearly a minute over a free and there was a substitution made in injury time.

As a neutral it was difficult to watch. And it turned cold. Not a good combination. But. I still found it somewhat intriguing. M/M executed their game plan very well. Not sure if I agree it was just M/M who made this game very defensive. Plenty of times M/M had possession of the football for minutes on end with a sea of Corofin in front of them. M/M will need to add some sort of attacking dimension the next day to win. Corofin won't play as badly (M/M can play better too) and Corofin know what they are going to do. Surprise attacks only works once. Saw a different side of Dylan Wall in marking Daly and did very well. Shows he's adaptable as a defender. Other than that Sice took some nice scores (missed some frees) Liam Silke was good too. Finnerty for M/M was good but they had more of a team game than individual performances.

Advertisement