Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-10-2018, 20:03   #46
Utopia Parkway

Galway SFC championship quarter-finals

Mountbellew/Moylough 1-13 Moycullen 1-12 AET
Annaghdown 2-15 St James 2-9

Relegation playoffs

St Michael's 0-15 Kilconly 0-12
An Cheathru Rua 1-11 Tuam Stars 0-12
Advertisement
06-10-2018, 22:56   #47
TCDStudent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Parkway View Post
Galway SFC championship quarter-finals

Mountbellew/Moylough 1-13 Moycullen 1-12 AET
Annaghdown 2-15 St James 2-9

Relegation playoffs

St Michael's 0-15 Kilconly 0-12
An Cheathru Rua 1-11 Tuam Stars 0-12
Shockingly bad result for Tuam
07-10-2018, 00:19   #48
CloughCasey1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDStudent1 View Post
Shockingly bad result for Tuam
Heard they had 13 wides in a row in second half
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 00:24   #49
MfMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloughCasey1 View Post
Heard they had 13 wides in a row in second half
It doesn't mean they're relegated yet, just go into final relegation playoffs. Kilconly on thin ice too by the looks of things.

Annaghdown impressed from what I heard; don't know how it took M/M extra-time to beat Moycullen, so much stronger by all recent form prior to the game.
07-10-2018, 11:25   #50
jr86

Wasn't too surprised it went to ET, Mountbellew had a shockingly easy group and are far from world beaters.

Tuam losing to Cheathru Rua was a major shock, 12/13 (heard it was 12 from a neighbour who was at the game) wides in a row tells its own story. Amazing what losing momentum and a loss of confidence can do

That said they'll probably get Caltra in the more familiar environment of Tuam Stadium and they've already beaten Barna.

Kilconly in right bother now.

With the 3 going down it brings huge intrigue but also it's interesting to acknowledge the massive consequences facing some of the clubs. Tuam and Barna would look to bounce straight back up and perhaps Cortoon but for Caltra, and Kilconly I'd expect a raft of retirements if they go down - and sadly if they do, they're more likely to be playing Junior in the next few years than Senior. Massive few weeks for them.
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 11:27   #51
grbear

I wonder how much the Tuam lads have left in the tank. Not sure if things have changed under the current management but there was a lot of talk that they never took a break from training over the winter in 2015 & 2016. Mad carry on.
07-10-2018, 12:02   #52
CloughCasey1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbear View Post
I wonder how much the Tuam lads have left in the tank. Not sure if things have changed under the current management but there was a lot of talk that they never took a break from training over the winter in 2015 & 2016. Mad carry on.
Most lads doing their own bit over winter. If ya dont ya fall behind. Club football has now the same commitment levels as county 15 years ago. That is why the likes of Corofin will get stronger and stronger. Success and power breeds more of the same.
07-10-2018, 12:05   #53
jr86

Do Corofin do that much more training than everyone else?

I just think they have a better panel available to them, quite simply. They'll fall back into the pack eventually when some of their veterans retire/start to decline
07-10-2018, 12:48   #54
grbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloughCasey1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grbear View Post
Most lads doing their own bit over winter. If ya dont ya fall behind. Club football has now the same commitment levels as county 15 years ago. That is why the likes of Corofin will get stronger and stronger. Success and power breeds more of the same.
I get that people need to be always doing a bit but there has to some sort of plan put behind these things. The days of running lads up hills in lashing rain and thinking that'll automatically make them fitter than the next team are long gone. Tuam hit the wall last year against a decent Monivea team and had no life left in them by the end of the match. Mountbellew would have done unspeakable things to them if they had reached the semi-final. Hopefully they learned from that and altered their plans for last winter. They were going to burn players out if they didn't change.
Advertisement
07-10-2018, 18:30   #55
Utopia Parkway

SFC semi final draw

Corofin v Annaghdown
Mountbellew/Moylough v Salthill or Milltown

An Spideal and Micheal Breathnach meet in the intermediate final after both had narrow wins in the semis.
Thanks from:
07-10-2018, 21:10   #56
TCDStudent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Parkway View Post
SFC semi final draw

Corofin v Annaghdown
Mountbellew/Moylough v Salthill or Milltown

An Spideal and Micheal Breathnach meet in the intermediate final after both had narrow wins in the semis.
Wonder what will happen if there are any more draws - could it be a possibility that the Galway champions will not compete in Connacht?
07-10-2018, 21:57   #57
GalwayLurker

Quote:
Wonder what will happen if there are any more draws - could it be a possibility that the Galway champions will not compete in Connacht?
Galway senior champions are playing Roscommon/London champions on 11th November, plenty of time yet. On another note, the treatment Gary Sice was on the receiving end of today was disgraceful, I don't know how he managed to hold his temper.
07-10-2018, 22:55   #58
TCDStudent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalwayLurker View Post
Galway senior champions are playing Roscommon/London champions on 11th November, plenty of time yet. On another note, the treatment Gary Sice was on the receiving end of today was disgraceful, I don't know how he managed to hold his temper.

There was a guy on Galway Bay FM today saying final is fixed for weekend of 27th / 28th. I assume this is to leave room for a replay? Or maybe it is to ensure that the county champions have more time to prepare for Connacht. Lets face it - if somebody beat Corofin, there will be major celebrations for that club during the week! At least one semi final now cannot take place until the weekend of 20/21 which means there is no room for a replay there either. I think the original plan was that the semi finals would be next week but the Milltown - Salthill match has scuppered that plan.
07-10-2018, 23:25   #59
jr86

Quote:
I think the original plan was that the semi finals would be next week but the Milltown - Salthill match has scuppered that plan.
Most certainly I'd say, given ET was played

An extremely embarrassing fixture pile up was avoided in the hurling today with Bridge accounting for Pearses in ET. can anyone tell me the point of those daft senior B play offs? Scrap that, can anyone show me a more farcical format in ireland than one where teams finishing 3rd in senior B groups (17th/18th in overall championship) can actually be in with a chance of making the overall latter stages of the championship?

Was in Pearse today - Spiddal + MB both deserving winners. There'll be plenty of spice to that final!
08-10-2018, 19:28   #60

Any update on football fixtures for the weekend?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion