Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wording of Will Extract

• 10-09-2018 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Could someone explain what this actually means? I'm wondering if 'B' might be related to to 'A', the deceased.

"Letters of Administration of the personal estate of 'A' were granted at the Principal Registry to 'B' having an interest."

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Letter of Admin means the deceased died without a will, so whoever is taking out the grant is likely to be a relative and have an interest in getting the estate resolved. There was no need to be a relative and neighbours or friends would often oblige. In my family, 2 male neighbours took out a grant for the widow of my ancestor, presumably just because (in that era, apparently, insert feminist grumble here) men were seen to be better at these things.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I just came across this extract by accident. I believe 'B' is the man at the top of my tree who I've been looking for about ten years now. I have never come across 'A' before and now I'm chasing information on him as it may lead me somewhere. :rolleyes: However, if as you say they didn't have to be related, then I'm back to square one again! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Administration can be granted where a will exists, either because the will cannot be proved, or where the executor chosen by the deceased is dead or chooses not to be executor, or is deemed unfit to execute the will. The will calendars have numerous cases of " administration with will annexed".

In the case mentioned,the person with an interest, may have a financial interest, such as a creditor. One of my ancestors had a creditor granted administration. It was reasonable enough, he wanted his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sycamore11

My interpretation of the wording is that the deceased died intestate prior to 1959 and a grant of administration issued in his estate from the Probate Office in Dublin.

In similar circumstances I have booked a viewing of the administration documentation at the National Archives. It takes about three days from the date of booking to the date the documentation is available for viewing. Booking can be done by phone. If required you can get copies of the documentation however that is quite expensive, with permission you are allowed photograph it. I'm assuming of course that the documentation still exists and has not been destroyed during historic events.

The documentation should provide details or at least clues of the connection of the administrator to the deceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks Sycamore11, I'll follow that up.

Tabbey: Think you may be near the mark regarding a creditor as I believe my man, 'B', did have a business in Dublin city so it would make sense for him to chase any monies owed to him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I agree with what Tabbey has written above but add that I would not dismiss the ‘non-relationship’ too quickly.

Extracting probate is an onerous task, involving the search for relatives, advertising for creditors (people to whom the deceased owes money), selling assets, collecting debts due, settling with the Revenue Commissioners, etc. While it can be accomplished by a ‘lay’ person, the Probate Office (part of the High Court) usually will require that an Administration bond is posted by a bank or insurer, guaranteeing that the estate will be wound up correctly. Few people without a close relationship (blood or personal) or owed a substantial sum would willingly take on the role.

It is one reason why everyone should have a will.

Advertisement