Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

30-05-2019, 10:38   #3376
slayerking

The coax cable that runs through the house is accessible at the front door. There should be a small access box below the meter box that has coax cable. The engineer should then just be able to connect up there and it will run through the house to the prewired access points. No need to start to rip up floors or walls, that would be madness.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-05-2019, 13:58   #3377
Forumsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerking View Post
The coax cable that runs through the house is accessible at the front door. There should be a small access box below the meter box that has coax cable. The engineer should then just be able to connect up there and it will run through the house to the prewired access points. No need to start to rip up floors or walls, that would be madness.
Thanks Slayerking, that makes more sense. We ended up just installing the main box in the back room as he would have had to throw a cable over the roof and down the front of the house and that seemed a bit extreme too. We'll probably regret it when our future baby pulls down the sky box off the unit and breaks it (there'll be tears all round!) but we'll deal with that when the time comes.

Also for anyone else doing this, I bought a powerline adapter to bring the wifi up to the top bedroom. It works great but was a waste of money as the mini box in the bedroom needs to connect to the same wifi as downstairs. Sky provided a booster in one of the bedrooms on the middle floor and that seems to be working. Guess I'll put the powerline adapter onto the scrap heap of items I've bought in error for this house!

I need to get an electrician or handy man around now to tidy up cables and put in a few more sockets. I thought I was finished spending money on this house!! Now I hear I need to paint the windows too!! If I would only wash them that would be a start!
30-05-2019, 14:10   #3378
theteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumsie View Post

Also for anyone else doing this, I bought a powerline adapter to bring the wifi up to the top bedroom. It works great but was a waste of money as the mini box in the bedroom needs to connect to the same wifi as downstairs. Sky provided a booster in one of the bedrooms on the middle floor and that seems to be working. Guess I'll put the powerline adapter onto the scrap heap of items I've bought in error for this house!
I thought these houses were all CAT5/6 ready? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I wouldn't be using wifi boosters or powerlines. Maybe an AP connected to a port upstairs if there are wifi wireless quality issues - connected to router at central location.

The brother reckons they'll be snagging in the next 2 weeks so I may have a chance to have a geek around soon enough.
30-05-2019, 15:06   #3379
Forumsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteal View Post
I thought these houses were all CAT5/6 ready? Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I wouldn't be using wifi boosters or powerlines. Maybe an AP connected to a port upstairs if there are wifi wireless quality issues - connected to router at central location.

The brother reckons they'll be snagging in the next 2 weeks so I may have a chance to have a geek around soon enough.
If you know what you're at there will be plenty opportunity to geek around. We actually did get a guy in to label and activate all our points (more wasted money!). But then we moved the modem (cablewatch - only option) to the sitting room as the cablewatch guy said putting it in the utility room would shield the signal. And realistically our main use of broadband is wireless (our phones). I'm sure there are better solutions. Please share if you find them
30-05-2019, 15:20   #3380
theteal

Quote:
If you know what you're at there will be plenty opportunity to geek around. We actually did get a guy in to label and activate all our points (more wasted money!). But then we moved the modem (cablewatch - only option) to the sitting room as the cablewatch guy said putting it in the utility room would shield the signal. And realistically our main use of broadband is wireless (our phones). I'm sure there are better solutions. Please share if you find them
That's fair enough if your main priority is the immediate wireless signal from the ISP box.

With a longer term view e.g. high bandwidth video streaming to bedrooms I'd be making use of the cabling. So a very basic setup would most likely be the router in the utility room connecting all the ports (may possibly need an additional switch - not sure of the number of ports?) and then a Wireless AP to cover downstairs and possibly another AP if required on upper floors - these will obviously be connected to ports patched to the router/switch in the utility.

Just out of interest, how many network ports are in the living room (Heron)? I'm just trying to preempt any queries that may come my way.

EDIT - by the way, your setup will still be fine, your router can stay where it is but at some stage you may want to get that broadband signal to the utility room to get the rest of the house cabled up. In this case you just need to connect a switch to all required ports in the utility and then connect the router to a network port close by it's current (possibly forever) location - this will establish connection with the switch and in turn all the connected ports will have internet access.

Last edited by theteal; 30-05-2019 at 15:27.
Advertisement
30-05-2019, 15:24   #3381
RandomAccess

We have a Router/Modem in the Utility room, its signal didn't reach all the way to the top floor (Heron) but I had another WiFi Router already and connected it via Ethernet and gave them the same network name. It's seamless coverage now.
Thanks from:
30-05-2019, 15:29   #3382
theteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAccess View Post
We have a Router/Modem in the Utility room, its signal didn't reach all the way to the top floor (Heron) but I had another WiFi Router already and connected it via Ethernet and gave them the same network name. It's seamless coverage now.
Yeah, once you disable some settings on an old router, it'll do the job of a wireless AP very neatly.
30-05-2019, 19:11   #3383
Forumsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteal View Post
Yeah, once you disable some settings on an old router, it'll do the job of a wireless AP very neatly.
The fact that I had to google what a wireless ap is should tell you all you need to know about my level of skill in this field! I had never heard of a powerline adapter either til the cablewatch guy told me to get one.

Thanks for the tips in your previous post. Yes I expect we will move it into the utility room when/if Eir ever lay cables in the Camden phase. Now I'm starting to think we'll eventually get fibre to the door as Eir don't really lay the old phone lines anymore. Always the optimist!
Thanks from:
31-05-2019, 21:20   #3384
Manion

There is a junction point in the utility room for the Coax Cables. If I recall it's behind a blank panel.

Quote:
The fact that I had to google what a wireless ap is should tell you all you need to know about my level of skill in this field! I had never heard of a powerline adapter either til the cablewatch guy told me to get one.

Thanks for the tips in your previous post. Yes I expect we will move it into the utility room when/if Eir ever lay cables in the Camden phase. Now I'm starting to think we'll eventually get fibre to the door as Eir don't really lay the old phone lines anymore. Always the optimist!
It's Fibre to the curb. You'll see the units dotted around the area, from there it's VDSL copper into the house. So yep, not an old traditional phone line as you phone line is only maybe 100 meters long.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-05-2019, 21:33   #3385
Forumsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manion View Post
There is a junction point in the utility room for the Coax Cables. If I recall it's behind a blank panel.

It's Fibre to the curb. You'll see the units dotted around the area, from there it's VDSL copper into the house. So yep, not an old traditional phone line as you phone line is only maybe 100 meters long.
Is that the one that gives 1GB broadband? That would be great but I won't hold my breath. Meanwhile thank goodness for Cablewatch, just thinking about our 2 months on Eir mobile broadband makes me shudder. Had to buy out the contract too, hands down worst company in Ireland
31-05-2019, 22:16   #3386
Manion

No, just the now standard offering of approximately 100MB. Before FTTC you'd by look at 14Mb I think max.
Thanks from:
17-06-2019, 09:18   #3387
ITT-Pat

Does anyone known when the last houses on Pelletstown Avenue are due to be snagging? Looking forward to that road being fully open for quicker access to Centra/gym etc
17-06-2019, 09:27   #3388
theteal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITT-Pat View Post
Does anyone known when the last houses on Pelletstown Avenue are due to be snagging? Looking forward to that road being fully open for quicker access to Centra/gym etc
The brother is waiting for a phone call. They've been told several different time frames. The last he said to me was he was "expecting to snag before the end of the month" - not exactly concrete.
Thanks from:
27-06-2019, 09:20   #3389
summerplans

Hi.
Has anyone put varnish on their side door?
30-06-2019, 21:46   #3390
Arbie

Does anyone have a recommendation for a garden landscaper please?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion