Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

13-10-2012, 12:40   #16
quickdraw2

I am somewhat dismayed that the advertisement that I placed on Adverts.ie
regarding FREE advice to inform both buyers and sellers of memory cards as
to a way to test them and avoid being scammed, has been taken off Adverts.ie.

The ad is informative and not libelous and will serve to protect both buyer and seller
from counterfeit memory card transactions.
Advertisement
13-10-2012, 12:48   #17
quickdraw2

it is also interesting to note that Adverts.ie having been informed by me
that a seller has sold counterfeit goods has not yet taken any action,
this legally makes Adverts.ie complicit and liable within the terms of the recent European
court ruling.
13-10-2012, 12:51   #18
quickdraw2

Is this the right thing for the wrong reason, or the wrong thing for the right reason ?
13-10-2012, 13:00   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw2 View Post
Is this the right thing for the wrong reason, or the wrong thing for the right reason ?
If you report the advert in question it will be reviewed by adverts.ie staff. Your adverts were not strictly speaking adverts so were removed.
13-10-2012, 13:06   #20
quickdraw2

Strictly speaking, my Ad is advertising a free software programme link that will
help prevent the trading of counterfeit memory cards on Adverts.ie

Advertising goods or services are still advertisements even if the goods or services are free.

Last edited by quickdraw2; 13-10-2012 at 13:10. Reason: more info
Advertisement
13-10-2012, 13:07   #21
Rega

Quote:
Originally Posted by im invisible View Post
Buy or beware
Buyer beware
13-10-2012, 13:07   #22
Lazarus2.0
Adverts.ie Moderator

As dudara said earlier , the recourse available to you depends on whether the seller is acting as a business or an individual . As the seller in this case is or appears to be an individual and not a business your best recourse is through PayPal . Adverts admin may also mediate - you should mail support@adverts.ie to request their involvement . You can also pursue the matter through small claims court and/or report the matter to Gardai .

As far as site liability goes - and I speak as a voluntary mod , not as a member of staff - my understanding of the preliminary ruling linked to in post #2 is that provision is made for copyright/trademark owners to pursue the 'offending' website if they fail to act promptly upon notification of copyright infringement . The costs involved would in the majority of cases make it too burdensome for an individual to take such an action anyway . Just to repeat , this is a personal opinion .

I can state that Adverts takes all reports of copyright infringement seriously , regardless of the asking price on an ad . We spend an inordinate amount of time researching these reports and where any doubt remains we remove the ads and place the onus on the seller to prove authenticity .

Just to add that I removed a number of ads by the seller at 12.21 - 12.25 . The seller was reported at 10.51 . I sincerely doubt that taking ~90 minutes to act on a report would be considered negligent or complicit by any court . That said , further veiled threats against the site won't be entertained

No issue with the content of the OP's 'ad' by the way . Just it's not really an ad and as such has no place on Adverts . It's better displayed here .

Quote:
Having just purchased what looked like 100% genuine 32Gb micro SD cards on Adverts.ie and then discoved that it would only hold 2Gb of data I discovered that there is a really good utility that you can use to check if your SD card is genuine called "H2testw":

H2testw 1.4

I suggest that anyone selling SD cards include test results from H2testw 1.4

----------------------------------------------------------------

May I also suggest that anyone who has purchased an SD card recently tests theirs.

You can download the card tester software
FREE

From the following link:

http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/20...erfeit-drives/
13-10-2012, 13:07   #23
BengaLover

Counterfeit goods are going to be sold on EVERY sales site, from large sites like ebay to smaller sites like adverts, done deal, buy and sell etc.
Its simple - if it sounds too good (or cheap) to be true, then it is.
Do your homework before makeing purchases, review all comments left by others and the seller, look thru the feedback. If in doubt, DONT BUY!
And after all that,if you find you have been done, open a dispute if payment was made with paypal, and report the user/ad in question immediately.
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2012, 13:29   #24
quickdraw2

I have made no threats veiled or otherwise,
The seller in question whom I have not named here has still multiple listings on Adverts.ie
selling memory cards.

I don't know who's Ads you removed, but the seller that sold me the counterfeit cards Ads are still there.
Advertisement
13-10-2012, 13:35   #25
quickdraw2

As this is an open forum could you please point out where you believe that I have made threats
(real or implied),
I have just pointed out that there is complicity if you fail to act.

Also removal of the Ad to the FREE download implies complicity on Adverts part.
13-10-2012, 13:36   #26
Banned

Quote:
Strictly speaking, my Ad is advertising a free software programme link that will
help prevent the trading of counterfeit memory cards on Adverts.ie

Advertising goods or services are still advertisements even if the goods or services are free.
It is also a requirement that the goods or services advertised for sale/swap are yours.
Thanks from:
13-10-2012, 13:37   #27
Banned

Quote:
I have made no threats veiled or otherwise,
The seller in question whom I have not named here has still multiple listings on Adverts.ie
selling memory cards.

I don't know who's Ads you removed, but the seller that sold me the counterfeit cards Ads are still there.
If you reported the advert in question it will be looked at by mods and staff and action taken if deemed necessary by them.
13-10-2012, 13:42   #28
quickdraw2

The link to the software in question is in the public domain,
and should you decide to download and use it, the programmer
has made this public domain.
13-10-2012, 13:55   #29
Lazarus2.0
Adverts.ie Moderator

Quote:
it is also interesting to note that Adverts.ie having been informed by me
that a seller has sold counterfeit goods has not yet taken any action,
this legally makes Adverts.ie complicit and liable within the terms of the recent European
court ruling.
You assert here that the site is complicit and liable . Your assertion is wrong but is unwelcome nonetheless .

Quote:
The link to the software in question is in the public domain,
and should you decide to download and use it, the programmer
has made this public domain.
That's fine but Adverts is not a software-hosting site . Ads providing links to downloads are routinely removed because they dont belong on Adverts .
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2012, 14:04   #30
quickdraw2

Thats a cop out.

I suggest that Adverts.ie makes this a condition of sale that all cards sold on
its site be tested with this software and the result shown with the Ad.

It is in the public interest that this
be on Adverts.

just one more thing,

Acknowledgements

To Herald Bögeholz who wrote the Program H2testw, Thank You!
Forum Closed