Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Absolutely disgraceful. Apologies for the language but fcuk this manager and this team. No heart and absolutely no pride.
    I've seen Meath lose to the likes of Cavan, Fermanagh, Limerick, Wexford but I have never seen any Meath team play so pathetically. I am actually embarrassed to say that I'm a Meath fan. Never thought I'd see the day when Louth played out the last 10 minutes in Navan getting 'Olés' from the away crowd.

And on a related note: piss off Banty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

There's your replay lads! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

What an embarrassment. Not one of those players wanted to out there today. Its quite clear to everyone that all is not well in Meath football, and maybe the players aren't happy with Banty at the helm. But to go out and disgrace the county like that is not something I for one will easily forget about this group of players. Now I've seen many poor performances by Meath teams over the years and as we all know teams have off days when nothing clicks but this was not one of them. This was a team who never had any intention of winning this match.They lacked any sort of fight. The worst part may have been that they didn't even look annoyed by the fact they were getting walked over.

Banty has to go and alot of the panel need to take a good look in the mirror because whatever your personal felings you never bring shame on the county jersey by not trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

We owed yis that, time for for a few beers now to celebrate, some revenge for 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

doncarlos wrote: »
    There's your replay lads! :D

So what was last year's game?

Bad day today but hardly unsurprising. It was in the post. If you keep on playing with fire you're going to get burnt eventually. And boy did we get burnt today.

I still don't blame Banty for all this team's woes. It's not his fault that lads can't handpass a ball into a teammate's chest from 5 yards or that our main free taker is inconsistent at best or that there is nothing even resembling a midfielder in the county.

It's going to be a very short summer and Division Three football next year could kill off Meath football for a very long time.

• Advertisement

macadam wrote: »
    We owed yis that, time for for a few beers now to celebrate, some revenge for 2010.
    Jesus wept!!!!
    Ye need to get over 2010 ffs. There were a load of aul lads talking like that in the stands today. Makes you sound pathetic. Why not just celebrate a good performance by your side today and the fact you beat relegation.

So what was last year's game?

Bad day today but hardly unsurprising. It was in the post. If you keep on playing with fire you're going to get burnt eventually. And boy did we get burnt today.

I still don't blame Banty for all this team's woes. It's not his fault that lads can't handpass a ball into a teammate's chest from 5 yards or that our main free taker is inconsistent at best or that there is nothing even resembling a midfielder in the county.

It's going to be a very short summer and Division Three football next year could kill off Meath football for a very long time.
    I think Banty has "lost the dressing room" as they say.

Fair enough the quality isn't there at the moment but I don't think thats a Div 3 team, they just didn't try today and that's the worst thing a team can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Flancrest wrote: »
    Jesus wept!!!!
    Ye need to get over 2010 ffs. There were a load of aul lads talking like that in the stands today. Makes you sound pathetic. Why not just celebrate a good performance by your side today and the fact you beat relegation.

Completely agree, get over it, 2 years ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Jesus wept!!!!

And today he rose from the dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Jesus wept!!!!
    I intend to celebrate, revenge is sweet no matter when it comes, its not just the winning but the relegation adds to it tenfold.
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

well done Louth for winning today....but to say it was revenge for Meath beating you in 2010 is laughable as we hammered you in the championship last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Why did ye get rid of EOB chaps ? Always thought that was a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

The problems with our football go way deeper than Banty, although as I have said before I dont think we should have an outside manager.
    If Banty walks tonight, who takes over? Geraghty?

Why did Boylan resign his post during the week also?

To be honest we need someone like Boylan to sort out this mess, get a bit of pride back in the jersey. when you hear the experts stating on rte that we have gone soft !!

Its 1983/84 since I last saw a player wear the Meath Jersey and not put in an effort, show a lack of pride or lack balls, its a sad state of affairs that its happened.

As for Louth, well done on staying up, but seriously, the way you reacted to the result today, explains exactly why it will be another 50 years before you contest another Leinster final. That the height of your ambition is to win a relegation playoff says it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Would Harnan take over? Anyone read the piece in the Sunday Indo today?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

At the stage Meath are at present I'd say Wicklow will fancy their chances against them in the Leinster championship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

markie29 wrote: »
    well done Louth for winning today....but to say it was revenge for Meath beating you in 2010 is laughable as we hammered you in the championship last year.
    meath didnt beat louth in 2010 the referee give them the game. remind me how well you done in the championship last year and how much worse you will do this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

meath didnt beat louth in 2010 the referee give them the game. remind me how well you done in the championship last year and how much worse you will do this year

We were terrible last year and are even worse this year. For some teams, winning a couple of championship games and a few league games is considered a good year, whereas unless we are winning Leinster and then All Irelands, that is deemed as a poor year, what we are achieving (or not achieving) at present is completely unacceptable in terms of Meath football.

By the way, the score on the scoreboard declares the winner, not the referee.
    Decisions go against teams in big games every year, that Louth waited 50 years for a big game and that they were unlucky that a bad decision went against them is just hard lines. I would imagine that the odds of winning the Euromillions jackpot are better than that. Bloody hell 50 years!! :rolleyes:

We were terrible last year and are even worse this year. For some teams, winning a couple of championship games and a few league games is considered a good year, whereas unless we are winning Leinster and then All Irelands, that is deemed as a poor year, what we are achieving (or not achieving) at present is completely unacceptable in terms of Meath football.

By the way, the score on the scoreboard declares the winner, not the referee.
    Decisions go against teams in big games every year, that Louth waited 50 years for a big game and that they were unlucky that a bad decision went against them is just hard lines. I would imagine that the odds of winning the Euromillions jackpot are better than that. Bloody hell 50 years!! :rolleyes:
    better get used to a lot of poor years. cant see a leinster championship any time soon. it was a miracle that louth and meath where in one at all. and louth won that

better get used to a lot of poor years. cant see a leinster championship any time soon. it was a miracle that louth and meath where in one at all. and louth won that
    Christ almighty :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Wish Meath all the best in rebuilding, sad to see such a proud county struggling so badly!!

No doubt you will be back in the Frey soon!!

Btw to Louth lads don't kick lads when they are down very bad form IMO

Paddy powers were giving odds on the red being attacked by Louth fans today ;)

• Advertisement

Christ almighty :rolleyes:
    louth won. only people from meath would dispute that.

Jesus Christ let it go it's ancient history now

Wish Meath all the best in rebuilding, sad to see such a proud county struggling so badly!!

No doubt you will be back in the Frey soon!!

Btw to Louth lads don't kick lads when they are down very bad form IMO

Paddy powers were giving odds on the red being attacked by Louth fans today ;)
    if i was a kildare supporter i would just be grateful that my team was probably in the top ten (even if it is at the lower end of it)

if i was a kildare supporter i would just be grateful that my team was probably in the top ten (even if it is at the lower end of it)

LOL OH YOU BITTER LITTLE MAN!!!

Meath are a proud and fine footballing county, how dare you belittle them!!

Louth lost a game and their fans attacked ref what does that say?? No county pride and crowds are like soccer fans!!!

Lower end of top ten in country??? LOL PRAY YOU DON'T PLAY KILDARE ANYTIME SOON I'll be reminding you of that post

The GAA records beg to differ. I'm not disputing that the goal should not have stood. But it did and Meath won no matter how much you cry about it. We've had our fair share of disgraceful refereeing decisions go against us in the past but we certainly don't go on about it nearly two years later :rolleyes:
    Thanks Dark Knight. Well done to yourselves on promotion. It seems like a lifetime ago that we played each other in Navan. Things could have been so so different for us had Shane McAnarney's last minute attempt been an inch or two to the left :(
    The wheels really came off after that game. I honestly cannot remember us playing well for any part of the remaining four games.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

LOL OH YOU BITTER LITTLE MAN!!!

Meath are a proud and fine footballing county, how dare you belittle them!!

Louth lost a game and their fans attacked ref what does that say?? No county pride and crowds are like soccer fans!!!

Lower end of top ten in country??? LOL PRAY YOU DON'T PLAY KILDARE ANYTIME SOON I'll be reminding you of that post

Yee would make bits of them.. In fairness they put in a good display today & fair play to them but they'll win nothing..

Treble20 wrote: »
    At the stage Meath are at present I'd say Wicklow will fancy their chances against them in the Leinster championship!
    Without a doubt. Wicklow on the back of a good league campaign and possible promotion. Meath in absolute disarray, possibly still with a manager in place that has lost the dressing room. I'd be putting money on Wicklow if I was a betting man.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

The GAA records beg to differ. I'm not disputing that the goal should not have stood. But it did and Meath won no matter how much you cry about it. We've had our fair share of disgraceful refereeing decisions go against us in the past but we certainly don't go on about it nearly two years later :rolleyes:
    Thanks Dark Knight. Well done to yourselves on promotion. It seems like a lifetime ago that we played each other in Navan. Things could have been so so different for us had Shane McAnarney's last minute attempt been an inch or two to the left :(
    The wheels really came off after that game. I honestly cannot remember us playing well for any part of the remaining four games.

We could so easily have won that game imo. If only we had been tighter at the back when kildare were unmarked running forward.. We gave away 4 or 5 uncontested points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Lads, 'tis an awful pity how jealousy, ignorance and stubborness gets in the way of having healthy debates and banter between counties. I experience it with my own county. 'Fans' from rival counties delighting when we lose, whinging when we win.

Everybody should keep an objective viewpoint in these matters.

• Advertisement

We could so easily have won that game imo. If only we had been tighter at the back when kildare were unmarked running forward.. We gave away 4 or 5 uncontested points.
    Yep. Kildare's winning point being a great example (from what I remember he was allowed walk straight through and had a handy fisted point).
    Our defending has been absolutely laughable at times. Our attempts at tackling mainly consisted of a Meath player dragging halfheartedly out of the player with the ball which mostly ended up in a free given away or the man with the ball getting away.

Might be optimistic, but we could look back on this and realise it was the best thing to happen to Meath football. We've (hopefully) hit bottom now and maybe this experience will give the county board the kick up the arse that's needed to change things in the county.
    I hope to God that's the case.

Advertisement