Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-07-2010, 14:25   #16
pinkypinky

What about Griffiths valuation to check for him and his father? They might be living on adjacent land or nearby. Addresses might be the same as when children were baptised.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffi...tion/index.xml
Advertisement
22-07-2010, 14:34   #17
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
What about Griffiths valuation to check for him and his father? They might be living on adjacent land or nearby. Addresses might be the same as when children were baptised.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffi...tion/index.xml
Yes see here: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffi...=20&Submit.y=2

They are mostly in magilligan, there is a samuel, henry and david there i have a funny feeling that they are his brothers and the john is his father as i remember going into coleraine library and seeing a john somewhere and a ann.. that is why i am trying to work out the father to see if i can attach him to a john cummins who married in derry in 1769 in a coi of ireland church and then go the whole way back to 1650 and find out were the family came from!? Any other ideas as griffiths evaluation has no ages..
24-07-2010, 11:39   #18
owenc
Banned

Right i'm going to go with this and try and find out the father of david cummins, i found a document in familysearch showing his death, how do i go about getting this and what will be in it, will it show parents and were they are born?
24-07-2010, 11:52   #19
Ponster

Send a message via Skype™ to Ponster
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Right i'm going to go with this and try and find out the father of david cummins, i found a document in familysearch showing his death, how do i go about getting this and what will be in it, will it show parents and were they are born?

I'm afraid that out of all the certs, the death cert will have the least amount of information on it. The best you can hope for is "next of kin". It certainly won't mention his parents.
24-07-2010, 12:01   #20
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponster View Post
I'm afraid that out of all the certs, the death cert will have the least amount of information on it. The best you can hope for is "next of kin". It certainly won't mention his parents.
ok what will it mention.
Advertisement
24-07-2010, 12:27   #21
shanew

county, registration district etc
date and place of death (sometimes home address is mentioned if death took place in a hospital )
name and age
cause of death and duration of illness
informant and qualification - can be a doctor or family member
name of the registrar

Shane
24-07-2010, 12:43   #22
owenc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew View Post
county, registration district etc
date and place of death (sometimes home address is mentioned if death took place in a hospital )
name and age
cause of death and duration of illness
informant and qualification - can be a doctor or family member
name of the registrar

Shane
Ok that would not be usefull, have you any idea what i can do to get back to 1700s? I really need back there as once i get that far i could hopefully attach myself to those ones from 1600s.
24-07-2010, 12:47   #23
shanew

Quote:
Ok that would not be usefull, have you any idea what i can do to get back to 1700s? I really need back there as once i get that far i could hopefully attach myself to those ones from 1600s.
not many parishes have records for the 1700s.. if you have already managed to find details back to the early 1800s then you could be at a dead end

Shane
24-07-2010, 12:49   #24
owenc
Banned

Quote:
not many parishes have records for the 1700s.. if you have already managed to find details back to the early 1800s then you could be at a dead end

Shane
Thats why i'm trying to get them back to 1700 as this church has really old records... are there any really good censuses or anything?
Advertisement
24-07-2010, 12:53   #25
shanew

Quote:
Thats why i'm trying to get them back to 1700 as this church has really old records... are there any really good censuses or anything?
I thought you mentioned that your ancestors were presbyterian and the parish with the old records was CofI ?

I believe There are some fragments of early census returns for Co. Derry - not sure if these are online anywhere.

Shane
24-07-2010, 12:54   #26
owenc
Banned

Quote:
I thought you mentioned that your ancestors were presbyterian and the parish with the old records was CofI ?

I believe There are some fragments of early census returns for Co. Derry - not sure if these are online anywhere.

Shane
Yes and i'm thinking maybe there were no presbyterian churches back then... or maybe they were presbyterian and the records weren't there. Thanks for your help i'll have to try and find census in the late 1700s.
24-07-2010, 12:58   #27
shanew

the census extracts are for the early 1800s

Many of the settlers in Northern Ireland from Scotland were Presbyterian, so they would have have set up churches when they arrived (I think they called them congregations) - whether there are surviving records I dont know...

Shane
24-07-2010, 13:14   #28
owenc
Banned

Quote:
the census extracts are for the early 1800s

Many of the settlers in Northern Ireland from Scotland were Presbyterian, so they would have have set up churches when they arrived (I think they called them congregations) - whether there are surviving records I dont know...

Shane
Yes which makes me wonder why i found ones in the church of ireland in 1600 which brings me to the conclusion that there were no presbyterian churches about, for example there are 10 presbyterian churches near me within 15 miles and they were all built in the 1800s!! I did find someone in the 1740 protestant census who was in magilligan what info would be in that?? The one thing i could use would be the 1766 census but sadly they aren't in that and i have no idea why!
24-07-2010, 13:34   #29
shanew

There's details of the various census extracts available for the county at http://www.nireland.com/genealogy/lo...ry_census.html

I think the 1766 census you mentioned only includes certain parishes.

I would be pretty sure there were at least some Presbyterian churches in the county in the 1700s

Shane
24-07-2010, 13:40   #30
owenc
Banned

Quote:
There's details of the various census extracts available for the county at http://www.nireland.com/genealogy/lo...ry_census.html

I think the 1766 census you mentioned only includes certain parishes.

I would be pretty sure there were at least some Presbyterian churches in the county in the 1700s

Shane
Yes the one that james cummins attended was built in 1650 it was probably the oldest in the county but it only started records in 1805!! Thats why i'm hoping they were church of ireland!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion