Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do DNA ancestry tests show?

• 21-07-2010 7:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm of European ancestry and from the U.S. I was wondering about my ancestry groups. Also, could a DNA test show if you are like around 000.3% or so Cherokee?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you search back in this forum, you'll find some other threads about this topic. The people here are divided: some think it's really worthwhile, others think it's a waste of time and money. I'm in latter camp, mainly because I see it as useless for Irish genealogy help. If you were, eg, black, and wanting to know what part of Africa your ancestors came from, then it appears to be quite successful on that front, so you might well be able to find out about Native American ancestry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

I think it shows what haplogroup you fall under.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup
    https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/lan/en/atlas.html

It also depends on whether you are male or female, if you are male you can test your mother and fathers lineage. If you are female just your mothers side.
    It will show genetic markers going back tousands of years so native american ancestry would show up but the idea of putting a percentage on it is meaningless.
    Further to what pinkypinky said it's only good for very recent ancestry work if you have alot of people who have taken part in the test or a large existing pool of data to compare to.

Advertisement