Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2019, 20:45   #121
citykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by castletownman View Post
I'm here!

What a great day. We really shot the lights out up front. James Holmes, all 38 years of him, destroyed their wing-back and scored six from play. Johnno Bealin scored a cracking second goal and that no.20 you refer to is Robbie Brooks- tore in from the far sideline and buried the ball when given half a sniff. Scored 3-14 from play and won by nine even though our top scorer Ben Brosnan was carrying an injury.

So, so proud. We have very good young lads coming through together, midfielders Rory Heffernan and Liam Coleman have all the tools to play county already despite being 20 and 19 respectively, Frank Roche is perhaps our best marker in defence and Brooks is a powerful runner when he gets the chance.

Funny story. Half-time in our quarter final vs. Horeswood in what is considered a cracking game, an ould lad who is regarded as a bit of a GAA buff cornered me. Programme in hand, he pointed out Masterson, Morris, O'Shaughnessy and Holmes saying you can't win championships with that number of old lads. I will make sure to mention that the next time I see him

Eleven heaven
Ye can’t beat breeding!
Advertisement
16-10-2019, 00:26   #122
castletownman

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykat View Post
Ye can’t beat breeding!
I'd say we are one of few clubs anywhere to have two direct descendents of All Ireland winners from outside of the county they play in (Johnno Bealin son of Paul and Rory Heffernan nephew of Christy). You'd see the next generation of the 96 panel pop up on the hurling scene, but the only other external AI winner I can think of is Shane McGuckin's lad Charlie who is a right bit of stuff for Naomh Eanna.

Actually, it keeps up a proud record in my own family. I had my father and uncles involved in all bar the first two of our nine county titles between 1965 and 1981, while my own brother and a few cousins have been part of 2010 and last Sunday. In fact, two of my cousins were the match-winners in each of the last two triumphs. Ye can't beat breeding alright
(5) thanks from:
16-10-2019, 12:51   #123
Grueller

Quote:
Originally Posted by castletownman View Post
I'd say we are one of few clubs anywhere to have two direct descendents of All Ireland winners from outside of the county they play in (Johnno Bealin son of Paul and Rory Heffernan nephew of Christy). You'd see the next generation of the 96 panel pop up on the hurling scene, but the only other external AI winner I can think of is Shane McGuckin's lad Charlie who is a right bit of stuff for Naomh Eanna.

Actually, it keeps up a proud record in my own family. I had my father and uncles involved in all bar the first two of our nine county titles between 1965 and 1981, while my own brother and a few cousins have been part of 2010 and last Sunday. In fact, two of my cousins were the match-winners in each of the last two triumphs. Ye can't beat breeding alright
I think Rory Heffernans dad, Des, has an All Ireland club hurling title with Glenmore if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks from:
17-10-2019, 22:25   #124
patmac

Well we finally did it, 57 years of trying and after 7 previous final defeats Padraig Pearses claimed the Roscommon Senior Football crown at long last. Despite dominating the game and being 7 points up against 13 men with 6 minutes to go we still needed a last gasp block to save the day.
We had nearly 1000 people at the club house to welcome home the team and the celebrations went on long into the night and onto Monday.
I read somewhere that there was 17 County Finals on last weekend that’s some amount of hangovers.
18-10-2019, 19:38   #125
LoughNeagh2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkey_monkey View Post
What happened there - that must go down as a big shock.
So Slaughtneil are all in now for the hurling. What type of squad have they there now - will they be fit for Dunloy again assuming they beat Middleton and Ballycran respectively.
Asking a Derry person about hurling is like asking an accountant about farming.
Advertisement
18-10-2019, 21:05   #126
conor05

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoughNeagh2017 View Post
Asking a Derry person about hurling is like asking an accountant about farming.
You do know Slaughtneil were in 3 Ulster senior hurling finals in a row doing a double 2016 & 2017?
In 2016 they bet the 2012 All Ireland Senior club champs Loughgiel. And losing to Super clubs Na Pairsaigh(only 7pts) and Cuala in both semi finals.

What you thought would be a funny comment ended up making you look completely silly.
(2) thanks from:
21-10-2019, 09:06   #127
Hammer Archer

Mod: GAA, ZTest
Kiltale's reign as Meath Senior Hurling Champions is over as their 6-in-a-row bid was ended by Kildalkey in a comprehensive defeat in the final replay.
Kildalkey were ferocious from the start and never let Kiltale settle for the entire game, making a mockery of their odds as rank outsiders. It was a tight first half which Kildalkey shaded 10 points to 8. But you felt that Kiltale would come out stronger in the second half. But they were even worse after the break, scoring only 3 points as Kildalkey racked up 1-7 to win 1-17 to 0-11.

Well deserved win by Kildalkey. I genuinely thought they had left it behind them in the last game as they let a 5 point lead slip late on against 14 men. But they somehow managed to up their performance to win their first title since 2011 and their 5th overall. They now play the Offaly Senior B champions Seir Kieran in the Leinster Intermediate championship.
21-10-2019, 10:01   #128
Frozen Veg

Another outrageous studs showing tackle by goalkeeper Alan Nolan v Cuala. Somebody is going to get very seriously hurt if he's not stopped.
21-10-2019, 10:06   #129
Pogue eile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Veg View Post
Another outrageous studs showing tackle by goalkeeper Alan Nolan v Cuala. Somebody is going to get very seriously hurt if he's not stopped.
Haven't seen it, was he put off? Not exactly an isolated incident with this lad either.
Advertisement
21-10-2019, 10:11   #130
Frozen Veg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue eile View Post
Haven't seen it, was he put off? Not exactly an isolated incident with this lad either.
No card as far as I know.
21-10-2019, 10:15   #131
Bonniedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Veg View Post
Look. We're sorry we beat you. Saved you from being beaten by Laois
22-10-2019, 10:44   #132
Kerrydude1981

Ballysaggart V Causeway should be a good game in the Munster Intermediate
22-10-2019, 14:42   #133
Hawkeye9212

Connacht SFC

QFs

Tourlestrane (Sligo) v Pádraig Pearses (Roscommon)

Glencar-Manorhamilton (Leitrim) v Ballintubber (Mayo)

SFs

Tir Chonaill Gaels (London) v Tourlestrane / Pádraig Pearses

Glencar-Manorhamilton / Ballintubber v Corofin / Tuam Stars (Galway)

My prediction for the final is Tir Chonaill Gaels / Pádraig Pearses v Corofin.

Last edited by Hawkeye9212; 22-10-2019 at 15:11.
(2) thanks from:
26-10-2019, 19:13   #134
Hammer Archer

Mod: GAA, ZTest
Must be only 300 or so at the second Dublin semi final (in the stand at least).

Nobber won the Meath Intermediate Championship today, easily beating Trim by 4-16 to 0-13. Meath U20 player Jordan Morris got 2-5 while ex Meath senior player Brian Farrell got 1-7. Amazingly, only 4 Nobber players scored in the game. Bitterly disappointing performance by Trim who were in their first final since 2012 and went into today's game as favourites.
26-10-2019, 19:54   #135
Stacksofwacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrydude1981 View Post
Ballysaggart V Causeway should be a good game in the Munster Intermediate

That's a game worth seeing. Causeway have had a long lay off since their co. final win but I expect them to give it a good rattle, Kerry teams usually give a good account of themselves in this competition.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion