Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-03-2019, 17:35   #1
EuKaryMe

Name of jazz song I heard?

Whatever the name of this song was, it had quite a bit lyrics. It was a female sung jazz song. All I really remember was that it had the lyric "yellow" in it somewhere. I think I heard "cliches" in there too somewhere.

I heard it on RTE Gold at about 2:40 am this morning
Advertisement
29-06-2019, 21:54   #2
Fogmatic

Could it be a blues song called Young Woman's Blues, that Bessie Smith and Billie Holliday sang (I ain't no high yellow, I'm a deep yellow brown…)?

Last edited by Fogmatic; 29-06-2019 at 22:01.
30-06-2019, 13:01   #3
Fogmatic

Correction (sorry - bit distracted last night!). As far as I know Billie Holliday didn't record Young Woman's Blues (and it is more Bessie Smith's bag, though she was a big inspiration for Holliday).

I got confused between two of my favourite numbers, both mentioning yellow. The other one, written and sung by Billie Holliday, is called Brown and Mellow (bit of a clue there!); 'He wears high-draped pants, Stripes are really yellow'. Seems a more likely one, as she's usually classified as a jazz singer (Bessie Smith was more hardcore blues, though usually accompanied by Louis Armstrong). The singing's also more or continuous (the Bessie Smith number has a fairly lengthy instrumental intro).
30-06-2019, 13:13   #4
is_that_so

Found a selection of songs with "yellow" in it, all jazz. Maybe this list will help?

https://www.lyrics.com/serp.php?st=yellow&genre=Jazz

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion