Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shackleton Park, Lucan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paulclancy

<snip>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

paulclancy, this is not the appropriate platform for you to use to make accusations against any individuals or organisations.

No more posts of that type please.

Apologies if i caused any offence in my recent post - it was borne out of frustration over the lack of planning/greed that has come from thi sdevelopment and the lies that the residents have been told.

MSV - if you type into google 'adamstown masterplan' and then click on image you will see what the landscape will look like from Shakelton to Adamstown. Only about 1/8 has been completed to date.

My point about vetting is this - NO construction company has any say on who moves into the social housing. If they claim that they do then its a lie. The county council will usually put in the next in line regardless of their background/or where they are from.

Also, the construction company CANNOT decide to put in affordable housing either - the units are sold to the county council at cost and it is then their property and they decide who goes in them - if you are told that a lot of the units will be held for affordable housing this is also a lie.

The ONLY good outcome that can come out of Shakelton at this late stage is that the construction company spread the social housing out fairly throughout the rest of the development and not segregate everyone into the high rise flats at the entrance and in the middle of the estate. This just might keep a lid on the potential anti social havoc that is coming down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

paulclancy wrote: »
    Apologies if i caused any offence in my recent post - it was borne out of frustration over the lack of planning/greed that has come from thi sdevelopment and the lies that the residents have been told.

MSV - if you type into google 'adamstown masterplan' and then click on image you will see what the landscape will look like from Shakelton to Adamstown. Only about 1/8 has been completed to date.

My point about vetting is this - NO construction company has any say on who moves into the social housing. If they claim that they do then its a lie. The county council will usually put in the next in line regardless of their background/or where they are from.

Also, the construction company CANNOT decide to put in affordable housing either - the units are sold to the county council at cost and it is then their property and they decide who goes in them - if you are told that a lot of the units will be held for affordable housing this is also a lie.

The ONLY good outcome that can come out of Shakelton at this late stage is that the construction company spread the social housing out fairly throughout the rest of the development and not segregate everyone into the high rise flats at the entrance and in the middle of the estate. This just might keep a lid on the potential anti social havoc that is coming down the line.

Thanks paulclancy.
    I doubt that all the units / estates will be built as per the masterplan.

Unfortunately most of those developers and their estate agents are lying through their teeth. I have never heard so much bs in my life..... I'm glad once we get the keys to our new home and never have to deal with them again.... The majority of our new neighbours feel the same.

Apart from this I'm concerned about the lack of infrastructure in Adamstown.
    There is only one londis shop and a mediocre takeaway. No surgeries, dentists and pharmacies etc.
    Furthermore there is only one crèche and both primary schools are already heavily oversubscribed..... when will they start building additional schools and shopping facilities across the train station.....?

MSVforever wrote: »
    Thanks paulclancy.
    I doubt that all the units / estates will be built as per the masterplan.

Unfortunately most of those developers and their estate agents are lying through their teeth. I have never heard so much bs in my life..... I'm glad once we get the keys to our new home and never have to deal with them again.... The majority of our new neighbours feel the same.

Apart from this I'm concerned about the lack of infrastructure in Adamstown.
    There is only one londis shop and a mediocre takeaway. No surgeries, dentists and pharmacies etc.
    Furthermore there is only one crèche and both primary schools are already heavily oversubscribed..... when will they start building additional schools and shopping facilities across the train station.....?

The developers hire good sales people to sell the houses and they will promise you the moon and the stars if it means you sign on the dotted line, once the house is sold then you are no longer their problem and whatever they have been allowed get away with will stay in the estate permanently.

If you go into sdcc planning applications and search the interactive map you will see that most of the land from shakelton to adamstown has been granted planning permission for houses and apartments.
    There is a site below the paddocks which has no planning permission that would be perfect for a large sports centre or astro park etc which is much needed in the area, especially given that there will be another few thousand houses built and it wud give the youth something to do...but ive no doubt it will go for more houses instead. The local councillors need to be pushed on this issue.

In the masterplan there are schools but in reality they are unlikely to be built as the construction companies arent going to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Why do you keep spelling Shackleton as shakelton? Eleven times on the last page alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

5uspect wrote: »
    Why do you keep spelling Shackleton as shakelton? Eleven times on the last page alone.

Very strange for a supposed resident of the estate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 supernova12

Hi Guys,

I am new to the thread. I gave a full read and right now a bit confused whether to go ahead with one of the houses in Shackleton Park. This is because of the social housing concerns. The property should still be relevant few years down the line.

Do you guys have any suggestions regarding this.

Regards.

Hi Guys,

I am new to the thread. I gave a full read and right now a bit confused whether to go ahead with one of the houses in Shackleton Park. This is because of the social housing concerns. The property should still be relevant few years down the line.

Do you guys have any suggestions regarding this.

Regards.

Supernova 12....it is a personal choice and comes down funds and whether you want a new house etc.

If you buy a new build then you get the advantages that a new sttucture brings but there will be 10% of that estate that will be council housing. Most of estates being built now are kept to houses only and every 10th house is sold to the council and its well spread out as this was FG's plan when they brought in the new rule.

As you would have read from the previous threads the real problem isint the 10% rule its the fact that the builders built 60 council flats slap bang in the middle and a further 8 at the entrance to the estate and hasnt integrated the social recipients into the estate. Make up your own mind how that will play out down the line.

Best advice is to go up and visit the area, take a walk around and see if its for you. Its not all bad the majority of people who moved in our young professionals and all are hard working people who dont cause an ounce of problems.

Regardless of where you buy just remember that the estate agent and developer are there to make money so they will tell you what you want to hear if it means getting you to part with your cash so best to take what they say with a pinch of salt and take your time when deciding.

Id be happy to answer any further questions you have and you are welcome to call into me for a proper chat if you decide to visit. Just send me a PM.

Hope this helps but at the end of the day the decision is yours to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭09_09_09

Any useful update on social housing issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 flachi

The price of a 4 bed semi d is now from 395000. In October they were 380.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yakoub

This social housing is really worrying, my wife and I were going to buy a property in Shackleton until we heard about these 60 apartments in the middle of the compound. I have read before that the owners were going to reach out to Cairn about this, did anybody manage to get any response from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LauraMarieA

Hi,

I am wondering does anyone know if cairn are willing to give you an allowance for tiles rather than getting the standard ones?

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hi,

I am wondering does anyone know if cairn are willing to give you an allowance for tiles rather than getting the standard ones?

Thanks

We were told that it comes as is, they weren’t keen on changing things. We asked in particular about the silly power sockets up high in the bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Hi all. I’ve been reading this thread with interest the last while. I’m fully aware of part v and that the apartments there are going to be used for social housing, but I’ve accepted it as it will be in every new build. I’ve recently put down a deposit for house in phase II in Shackleton. I have been told it will be ready for snagging in March. I’m actually hoping it will be delayed as I’m in no rush and every month it’s delayed I’ve more money saved! For anyone who has moved in am I right in saying that bathrooms are only tiled & residents will need to tile the kitchen and put floorings down in the hallway and all bedrooms, stairs etc? I’m just seeing how much money I need to put aside for this.

Can you ask Cairns to put down tiles in the kitchen if you pay extra for this? (I expect not). I’ve been told the kitchen is in so unfortunately I don’t get the opportunity to make any tweaks there. I think they tiled the kitchens in phase I. If anyone has any other tips in relation to Shackleton I’d very much appreciate them. Does anyone know if there are any plans for a decent centra or anything like that in Shackleton as there would be demand for such a shop? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Congrats on your house purchase. All the houses have finished on time, or early so I wouldn't plan on delays.

Apparently a shopping centre has gone out to tender, the plans are on the south dublin county council website. It'll be just past the apartment block in the phase 2 section. Plans for the new park look fantastic too.

There's a very active facebook page for Shackleton keyholders, you should look it up.

xalot wrote: »
    Congrats on your house purchase. All the houses have finished on time, or early so I wouldn't plan on delays.

Apparently a shopping centre has gone out to tender, the plans are on the south dublin county council website. It'll be just past the apartment block in the phase 2 section. Plans for the new park look fantastic too.

There's a very active facebook page for Shackleton keyholders, you should look it up.

Many thanks. I better reactivate my Facebook account so which I deleted a few months ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Liamo1978

Like Wingman2010 I have read through all the threads on the forum but am a bit more concerned with what might become of the social housing situation and how it will affect the area in years to come as children become teenagers.

We have been savings for years and FINALLY have our deposit. Lucan has always appealed to us as a nice area to bring up our kids. I went up to Shackleton a few times and it seems really quiet which is great.

However, I have done my research and last week I received a letter from Cairn saying that there will be 71 apartments for social housing. Seems to be way more than the required 10% as the plans are for less than 600 houses.

Does anyone on here know when the apartments will be finished and when people will start moving in to them? I would like to check the area out then before parting with all my hard earned cash or is Cairn planning on selling all the houses first before making the apartments available to social tenants?

There seems to be no plans for a shopping center either, it looks to be for an off-licence and a shop according to SDCC online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 resident_1

Liamo1978 wrote: »
    Like Wingman2010 I have read through all the threads on the forum but am a bit more concerned with what might become of the social housing situation and how it will affect the area in years to come as children become teenagers.

We have been savings for years and FINALLY have our deposit. Lucan has always appealed to us as a nice area to bring up our kids. I went up to Shackleton a few times and it seems really quiet which is great.

However, I have done my research and last week I received a letter from Cairn saying that there will be 71 apartments for social housing. Seems to be way more than the required 10% as the plans are for less than 600 houses.

Does anyone on here know when the apartments will be finished and when people will start moving in to them? I would like to check the area out then before parting with all my hard earned cash or is Cairn planning on selling all the houses first before making the apartments available to social tenants?

There seems to be no plans for a shopping center either, it looks to be for an off-licence and a shop according to SDCC online.

You are correct. Shackleton is a nice quiet place to live. A mix of young families and young couples. Less than 5 rental properties. Alot of first time buyers. Shackleton Park has a very proactive residents committee, who have been excellent to date at sorting out small issues in the estate through the developer and management company.

If you reference the Adamstown SDZ plans for Tobermaclugg Village Area (Shackleton Park), there is a provision for 15% Part V allocation. Part V will be in all new developments. You have to look at previously owned properties to avoid it. The duplexs at the entrance are almost complete on the phase 1 side and the apartments in the centre are probably 2 months away from completion at a guess.

Yes there is planning for a supermarket, coffee shop and off licence. 98 parking spaces under ground.

Overall it's a great location. Good links to city centre with the Heuston and Grand Canal Dock trains and buses to city centre. Tesco and Supervalu are very close by. It's a busy area with traffic but there is no residential suburb in Dublin that is immune from peak time traffic. When the Celbridge link road and Adamstown Drive are complete it will be even closer to Adamstown Train station. Also planning for 2 public parks.

The build quality of the houses is excellent and the follow up support from Cairn is quite good regarding any issues. How the part V will integrate is anyone's guess but you will have the same concerns in any new development whether it be 35 houses or 71 apartments.

barry1988 wrote: »
    Liamo, unfortunately it lools like Cairn are doing exactly that, not finishing the apartments and moving in social welfare tenants until they have sold all of their houses. A 4 bed house is now going for €400k so they will want to maximise their profits before the area could potentially go downhill and therefore affect the house prices.

Also, it is worth noting that cairn who are building the houses and hooke and macdonald who are the estate agents are well aware of this forum on Shackelton and have been replying to posts and talking up the estate and the area (potentially above).
    There is only 1 bus that services the estate, that is the 25 which comes once an hour, there is a 25x in the morning which leaves around at 7.30 and 8am. Adamstown train station is a joke, very few trains pass through it and its deserted most of the time, not all of them go as far as the grand canal and if u do get on one in the morning its packed. These parks that have been talked about in the above post but havent even been started yet so ill believe it when i see it.

The local primary school is now full and shackelton is outside that catchment area so residents will have to look towards adamstown educate together which doesnt have great reviews.

The estate is quiet for the moment but time will tell. At the moment there is zero facilities in the area for teenagers.

Sorry to post negative posts but I cant stand reading lies or picking up a brochure about all the great things in the area when its not true. There should have been no more than 10% of social houses in the area and it should be spread out, instead 15% was built and all put into high rise apartments which as history has proved will cause a mini ghetto

I can assure you I'm not an agent of HMD or Cairn. I haven't posted any lies. I have stated facts which may not suit your negative view on things. In your previous posts you compared the apartment block to a mini Ballymun, nonsense. Time will tell how the part V plays out.

• Advertisement

paulclancy wrote: »
    To be fair Resident_1 you can see why Barry1988 has suggested that. Your details about the amount of rental properties, the new parks in the area, the way you speak about the great transport systems so close by is very similar to to the emails/brochures we have all received from cairn and hooke and macdonald. All that info is not really how it is in reality. He is only making an observation which he is entitled to do.

barry1988 you are correct re the transport, one bus every hr unless u walk 10 mins into the village and there is no train system in place, its so wrong that they are allowed to advertise it as such. Hopefully that changes but for now its not an option that anyone I know uses.

I persume you are talking about schoil mhuire primary school. Thats very dissapointing to hear if its true, i must investigate myself. Its so unlike developers to build loads of houses with proper facilities like enough schools for the area.

One thing missed in the above post is the complete lack of parking options. No overflow parking exists, people are already forced to park on footpaths and it will only get worse when the apartments are in use and they all have 2 cars and no where to park. Its a crime in this day and age that developers are able to build houses with no parking and roads where 2 cars cant pass. We have 2 cars and i invited two friends over who both drove, they had nowhere to park. The paddocks (down the road) has a visitors car park and that seems to work well but our developers are more concerened about putting flats in place that car parks

I agree the parking arrangements are poor, but all developments within SDCC are the same. I've spoke about planning in place for 2 parks and I have not seen more than 5 houses for rent on daft since Jan 2017. My experiences with trains and buses are off peak. The portlaois and hazelhatch trains serve the adamstown station.

On a point of order I stated great location with good links.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Social housing will be in all new developments. Hopefully either decent hardworking people on low wages, disabled folks or elderly people will be housed there. Loads of these people suffer from anti-social elements in run down council estates and deserve to live in peace and quiet.

My concern would be more about traffic and the lack of infrastructure. Looking at the planning permission on the SDCC website it indicates that there should be 2 new primary schools in the area between Shackleton, Somerton and St. Helen's. When will they start building these schools?

All the local primary schools including St. John the Evangelist and Adamstown Castle ETNS are heavily oversubscribed. We are very lucky that we got a place secured for our child.

In addition to what has already been built they need spaces for kids from the upcoming new estates as well (e.g. Gandon Park beside Shackleton and Newpark beside St. Helen's ). Nevermind Toberrmaclugg and Tandy's Lane village which will have hundreds of housing units.

I have to say the recent posts above are very worrying! I’m honest I also thought that Resident_1 sounded like a cairns brouchure...

Does the 25a bus go from Lucan village? Seems shocking that there is no regular bus service from the new estate yet. Once an hour is not regular enough.

I myself was hoping to get public transport into town for work. My plan was to get a train into Pearse station.. Be interested to hear how people are managing to get into town via public transport on a daily basis.

Anyways as of now I’ve only paid a deposit! Plenty of thinking to do...

86 underground car spaces for Shackleton Hall. More on street parking along the Crescent, including more visitor spots.

Visitor spots across the estate - yes there needs to be more. An over flow car park would be ideal. Paul/Barry do something proactive and approach the management company or residents committee?

Roughly a 12 - 15 minute walk to the 25a bus stop (Merrion Square) on the new road through the Paddocks. Probably closer than going to the village.

Hopefully as demand increases within the SDZ public transport will. Paul/Barry have you approached any local councillors or TD's with your concerns? At least the foundations are in place with the train and bus. Regarding the train, I know 3 neighbours that use it daily. It is a busy line at peak time. It was full leaving Heuston around 1640 last week.

The mentality to try drag your own estate down on a public forum based on some concerns is beyond me. Barry stated every tenant relying on part V will be on social welfare. More nonsense talk. Paul/Barry have you spoken to a credible source regarding how the Part V apartments will affect the value of your home?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

I'm a nearby resident of another estate. Serious amount of fake news on this thread. As regards transport, you have trains mon-fri, from 6:30am thru to 9:30 am and more, from Adamstown train station (<4 min drive away), my wife gets to work near grand canal dock for 9am every week day without fail. Not many new estates anywhere have direct bus connection to CC from the off. 25d goes along Newcastle road direct to town if you can make it that far.

quote="Wingman2010;109384812"]I have to say the recent posts above are very worrying! I’m honest I also thought that Resident_1 sounded like a cairns brouchure...

Does the 25a bus go from Lucan village? Seems shocking that there is no regular bus service from the new estate yet. Once an hour is not regular enough.

I myself was hoping to get public transport into town for work. My plan was to get a train into Pearse station.. Be interested to hear how people are managing to get into town via public transport on a daily basis.

Anyways as of now I’ve only paid a deposit! Plenty of thinking to do...[/quote]

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

resident_1 wrote: »
    The mentality to try drag your own estate down on a public forum based on trivial concerns is beyond me.

They're not trivial concerns though.
    I'm one of the residents of Lucan Village who made obs on the proposed SDZ to SDCC btw- so I'm not a random stranger either.

Lack of parking.
    Lack of public transport options.
    Appalling traffic congestion twice a day- for hours in the morning and evening.
    Antisocial behaviour (including ongoing issues rounding up horses in other parts of the SDZ).
    Full local schools (its across the board- its not limited to Shackleton Park- I'm in the village, my kids couldn't get a place locally either).

Essentially- its a massive development- a-la Tallaght in the early 80s- without a lot of thought given to the provision of services, facilities and amenities- on the basis- if you build it they will come.........

Yes- the old Superquinn shopping centre and library are reasonably nearby- but even they are over-crowded and a chore to visit (and good luck to you if you're trying to park in there).

People really need to do proper due dilligence on where they intend to buy. I've a copy of the Cairn brochure here- we take it out and laugh at it at our own Management Company meetings.

Lucan was massively over developed- before the SDZ and any of its associated thousands of properties come on stream- the manner in which this 'development' is being flogged as some sort of a luxury development- is a kick in the teeth for people who actually live in Lucan and whose standard of living is being throd into the ground- because it quite simply doesn't have the means to assimilate all these gigantic new developments that are coming on stream.

If it was done the other way around- and transport issues resolved first of all- it would be easier to look more kindly on the developments in the SDZ and be a little less worried about how long its going to add to our daily commutes, the difficulty getting into local schools, visiting the local shopping centre to buy more than we can carry 2km home etc etc.

We don't have the services, the facilities and the amenities to integrate the SDZ into the area- full stop. We also don't believe the platitudes about new parks and other services coming on stream down the road- we've lived with Adamstown for the last 15 years- we don't believe a word we hear.

People deserve better.

Have to come back on what a couple of other posters have said.

Firstly, the 25 is very infrequent (though apparently that will change in the coming months) and if you drive by you will see there is a bus stop area marked at the very entrance of the estate. I often walk down to the Mcdonalds or the Tesco flyover to get the express buses from Maynooth which fly in. The walk is 13 mins from well into the estate to the bus stop at a reasonable rate, which is fine by me as the buses are far more frequent. I'd rather walk the extra half an hour a day for a direct route then spend that time and more meandering through estates on a bus stopping every 2 minutes (25a/b for example).

Traffic in the immediate area is fine but once you get to Newcastle Road it's a disaster.

My son is in Adamstown Educate Together and it's fantastic, he's absolutely thriving there. I have no complaints at all nor have I heard anything negative from other parents in the area.

The estate is very quiet, newly part of a neighbourhood watch with very active residents. I'm very happy with our decision to move to the estate.

The social housing is a concern for me, of course it is but any new estate in this climate is going to have social housing. The best way to counteract any issues is to be very active and try nip them in the bud.

Who knows how long the park will take to happen, if it ever will but they're working on the external area to the front of the apartments now and I'm surprised at how big the green area will be is (half of which will be a playground according to the plans).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tryingtobuy

Hi I was looking to buy a 4 bed in Shackleton last year for 380k. Saw at the weekend 4 bed now 395k. There aren’t any properties on the price registers for 380k. Anyone know what’s happening. How are they asking for more if not getting the price ? Do people haggle the price for new builds I assumed you took the price the developer is asking. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Hi I was looking to buy a 4 bed in Shackleton last year for 380k. Saw at the weekend 4 bed now 395k. There aren’t any properties on the price registers for 380k. Anyone know what’s happening. How are they asking for more if not getting the price ? Do people haggle the price for new builds I assumed you took the price the developer is asking. Thanks

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/pprweb.nsf/page/ppr-home-en
    If the property is a new property, the price shown should be exclusive of VAT at 13.5%.

• Advertisement

There are 33 properties listed as sold for over 380k there (some as 379,999 but we wont argue over that). Not sure if they're inclusive or exclusive of VAT. They're getting the asking price.

Advertisement