Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baselworld 2019 news and rumours

• 16-03-2019 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭

Baselworld 2019 news and rumours
    Sneak peek from Rolex

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvBsGpGHWAX/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ch5igs8uh610

)Not sure how to embed the video)

With the Swatch Group’s surprising announcement that it will not participate in Baselworld 2019, this year will be markedly different from past shows and see the halls absent of significant brands like Omega, Breguet, Blancpain, Hamilton, Longines and Tissot.

The internet isn’t for everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

This is like the E3 of watches half the industry isnt going?

Do the Swatch Group also manufacture watches outside of Switzerland? Seen a hamilton on Creation Watches that didnt have the swiss made on the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

I predict at least one Rolex that no one will be able to buy from an AD with out naming their first born child after them.

Will trade at 250% of RRP and then drop back to 150-200% or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

The watch in the Rolex teaser is a non GMT (unless someone can see a 4th hand somewhere I can’t) with date. The hour markers and 12 marker show that it’s a professional model which would limit it to SD, Sub or YM. Dial is black too, so I’m guessing it’s a Sub with the new updated movement from the DJ 2

Personally I’m more interested in what Tudor are going to do, if they reveal a new sub I’ll order one on Tuesday

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Baselworld starts Thursday 21st btw

:o So it does! I have my days mixed up.

This guy has a few leaked pics from Rolex -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjPnzo-xcTI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

funkyouup wrote: »
    This guy has a few leaked pics from Rolex -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjPnzo-xcTI

Taken from Rolex Pasion Report, which (with one or two notable exceptions) has a terrible accuracy record. Also, not known for holding up his hand when wrong.

That's probably for the best, that meteorite dial version looked horrible!

What about the SKX Tudor at the end:D

funkyouup wrote: »
    That's probably for the best, that meteorite dial version looked horrible!

Also didn't have a GMT hand, which is a bit of an issue. He's taken it down... and blocked anyone who's pointed this out to him. Now onto the Batman, where the dial is missing the crown.

He changed the title and left the video up to harvest more views.

• Advertisement

Watches are live on Rolex. Credit to RPR, he's called these, with 24 hrs out but still, well done.

Good to see that they've updated the 36mm DJ and DD. Was interested in the bi-metal DJ36, so really want to see how the SS compares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

Blnr on jubilee is not a good match IMO.

Very underwhelmed by Rolex and dissapointed with Tudor. The new YM is just dull looking, they could have at least matched the styling of the dial from the RG version. BLNR is not as nice as the Pepsi on a jubilee. The DJ getting the updated movement is welcome but they no longer have the super jubilee, so personally i'd stick with the old DJ in order to get that rather than have the new movement.

Tudor, where to even start with them that P01 is disgusting, the chrono on leather strap is equally as hideous. Bronze black bays are nothing new, and the bracelet on the new 41 is far too busy, the centre links should be uniform IMO.

893bet wrote: »

Funnily enough, I actually prefer it. Never cared for PCLs on oysters

Time wrote: »
    Very underwhelmed by Rolex and dissapointed with Tudor. The new YM is just dull looking, they could have at least matched the styling of the dial from the RG version. BLNR is not as nice as the Pepsi on a jubilee. The DJ getting the updated movement is welcome but they no longer have the super jubilee, so personally i'd stick with the old DJ in order to get that rather than have the new movement.

Tudor, where to even start with them that P01 is disgusting, the chrono on leather strap is equally as hideous. Bronze black bays are nothing new, and the bracelet on the new 41 is far too bust the centre links should be uniform IMO.

Tried on both the old and new bi-metal DJ 36 recently and while I agree that the super jubilee is lovely and preferred, the new case is much, much nicer.

Between the Rolex brands I was more excited about Tudor this year. Oh dear. You have to give them points for daring to make a distinctive, yet aggressively ugly, watch with the P01.

Tried on both the old and new bi-metal DJ 36 recently and while I agree that the super jubilee is lovely and preferred, the new case is much, much nicer.

Between the Rolex brands I was more excited about Tudor this year. Oh dear. You have to give them points for daring to make a distinctive, yet aggressively ugly, watch with the P01.

What are the differences in the DJ cases? I hadn't noticed any! I was more excited about Tudor too... maybe next year will be a better year for them.

What are the differences in the DJ cases? I hadn't noticed any! I was more excited about Tudor too... maybe next year will be a better year for them.

Sleeker with better proportions while having a cleaner more contemporary dial that seems much larger. I think it’s their nicest watch case.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

For sure! It looks pretty awful.

Tudor, where to even start with them that P01 is disgusting, the chrono on leather strap is equally as hideous. Bronze black bays are nothing new, and the bracelet on the new 41 is far too busy, the centre links should be uniform IMO.

100% agree. Everything from Tudor this year is just awful. That P01 monstrosity looks looks like some sort of bad Seiko rip off And Rolex didn't even bother! I didn't get my 36mm Explorer at this rate I don't think it will ever happen.

I'm not expecting much from Omega either.

Maybe Seiko and Grand Seiko will surprise us?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭A+-Guru

That p01 is one ugly watch jaysus, but I bet that is the one that becomes collectable. No one wants the thing. That willl be discontinued rather fast. Ugliest watch I ever seen

• Advertisement

A+-Guru wrote: »
    That p01 is one ugly watch jaysus, but I bet that is the one that becomes collectable. No one wants the thing. That willl be discontinued rather fast. Ugliest watch I ever seen

Can't ever see that being desirable!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Strangely I agree with this. The Pepsi is fine on a Jubilee, just not the BLNR.

Go figure :cool:

oxocube wrote: »
    Strangely I agree with this. The Pepsi is fine on a Jubilee, just not the BLNR.

Go figure :cool:

Now that I've seen the live pictures I agree. I'm not sure why the different colour makes a difference, but it does. Odd.

Love the new SS DJ36. It's a classically good looking Rolex. Also, looks great with the domed bezel, unlike the two-tone and especially the 41mm which looks bloated the more I see it.
    47433210211_5de98db713.jpg

36 vs 41
    40467410193_32b1d6ed62.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think the P01 looks good. Something a bit different

New Seiko Monsters dont look as monstrous.

Dont like magnyfying glass on watches at the best of times but i dont think it works on a Monster -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5cYdVT3rsA

Also, looks great with the domed bezel, unlike the two-tone and especially the 41mm which looks bloated the more I see it.

When you see them side by side i think it’s the proportion of the bezel to the dial on the 41mm that makes it look wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Excited to see a new Sinn Arktis which looks great. Big price though, and watch would be way too big for me 43mm and 17mm thick.
    I guess it won't help bring down price of originals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭theheavyhitter

Personally I was disappointed with Rolex and Tudor this year. I was hoping for a Coke on jubilee rather than the Batman. Also I was looking forward to a reissue of the Tudor Submariner. Like many I was thrown by Tudor's teaser of the lumed triangle on the matte dial. The P01 looks like a poor copy of the SKX007.
    My favourite of the show was the SLA033. Its just a shame Seiko have limited it to only 2500 pieces, with a high price. I think mass producing it with a 4R36 at say the 500 Euro price tier; similar to the SRP777 series of Turtle would have made it a big hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

The production version of the Zenith Defy Lab prototype of a couple of years ago was due to launch at BaselWorld this year and is now appearing on their website as the Zenith Defy Inventor - https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/defy-inventor.html.

They've gone with titanium for the case and just retained aeronith for the bezel, probably cost saving but the list price is still €17.6K. Must be the biggest innovation in mechanical movements for a long time though - 129,600 bph mono-crystalline silicon oscillator replacing the spring balance and accuracy within 0.5s/day for over 95% of the power reserve.

• Advertisement

Anjobe wrote: »
    The production version of the Zenith Defy Lab prototype of a couple of years ago was due to launch at BaselWorld this year and is now appearing on their website as the Zenith Defy Inventor - https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_en/defy-inventor.html.

They've gone with titanium for the case and just retained aeronith for the bezel, probably cost saving but the list price is still €17.6K. Must be the biggest innovation in mechanical movements for a long time though - 129,600 bph mono-crystalline silicon oscillator replacing the spring balance and accuracy within 0.5s/day for over 95% of the power reserve.

Technically thats extremely impressive for an automatic, I'd love to see that in a non skeletonised El Primo grand date

Advertisement