Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting New Zealand Mosque - MOD NOTE POST #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

ricero wrote: »
    I always thought of new Zealand as being very simillar to ireland as in a safe place. Terrible thing to wake up to. Humans can be beyond cruel.

Sadly I don’t think there’s any truly safe place left in the world nowadays. It’s just that some are safer than others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Wow, I never expected to see Christian terrorists in NZ. It will be interesting to see where and how they got radicalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

NZ is the last place I think of something like this happening, it can't just be fobbed off as the result of mental illness.

Maybe but western society is so unprepared for any kind of terrorist act

I was just recently in India (Delhi, Mumbai, Agra) and every hotel, major store/supermarkets/place of worship, railway station has metal detectors and baggage checks before you enter. At the airport you won't get in the door without first showing your ticket and passport and then metal detector/baggage check and then you are allowed in the departures hall. After you are in you cannot leave.

With Islamic and right wing terrorism on the rise here in the west might soon see similar security procedures put in place here. I mean that chap in Vegas brought how many bags of guns to his room and was never stopped once. You can walk into us airports where baggage claim is and nobody will stop you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Anybody watching or distributioning the disgusting video should be be tracked down and face criminal charges.

Distributing it? Yes.

Watching it? No.

I have no interest in watching it myself, but I'm sure thousands have sadly already seen it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

F*cking hell, what horrific news to wake up to, in New Zealand of all places. RIP to all those poor people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what are the gun laws in NZ? he seemed to have quite the arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sickening Awful attack. Cowardly in the extreme.

RIP to all the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

NZ is the last place I think of something like this happening, it can't just be fobbed off as the result of mental illness.

4 people have been arrested.

God how can people be consumed by such hatred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I wonder how many people will be changing their Facebook profile picture in support of these people that have died?.
    You know since they are not white Parisians.

RIP.
    Pity they couldn't have taken the scum bag alive.

I wonder how many people will be changing their Facebook profile picture in support of these people that have died?.
    You know since they are not white Parisians.

RIP.
    Pity they couldn't have taken the scum bag alive.

Taking him alive only gives him more of a platform for his sick views. Remember Anders Brevik and the bile he was allowed to come out wit at his trial?

• Advertisement

Are you crazy???? Nobody tried to justify it.

That poster suggested that this act was committed out of anger at the many horrific attacks by Muslim extremists - to me that smacks of trying to justify it or least make it something understandable.
    Spot the difference between explaining what may have been a motive is not justification for same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Lowest of the low attacking people in their place of worship

Totally agree. Utter cowards. I wonder did the name of the city contribute to the Christian terrorist plan and motivation. NZ just seems a strange place to attack. Do we know where the terrorists come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The Moleman

Just because they had guns does not mean it has anything to do with gun control laws.

Plenty of ways to get hands on a gun without going to a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Jesus. He started the Live stream by saying the "Subscribe to Pewdiepie" meme.. (There is no link to him, it's a meme that is everywhere.) And then his manifesto has the Navy Seal meme. Guy is whack.

Sad sad story.

It's crazy the internet is currently trying to take down PewDiePie again because apparently he is complicit .

Totally agree. Utter cowards. I wonder did the name of the city contribute to the Christian terrorist plan and motivation. NZ just seems a strange place to attack. Do we know where the terrorists come from?

The shooter was called "Australian-born".

NZ and Ozzie Prime Ministers have both said the same I think but the police comissioner would not confirm it.

Another example of scapegoating. The blame here lies solely with the shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Wow, I never expected to see Christian terrorists in NZ. It will be interesting to see where and how they got radicalised.

Any evidence this scumbag even claims to be Christian or claims to be acting in the name of Christianity?
    Or are you just trying to use this atrocity to make some cheap point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

i wonder how Tim Berners-Lee feels this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

mfceiling wrote: »
    I said it before...It was only a matter of time before some lunatic massacred people of Muslim/Islamic faith in retaliation to the horrific attacks we have witnessed the past few years.
    Unfortunately again it's always the innocent who suffer.
    RIP to the victims.

There will likely be a response from Islamic terrorists. This is just awful. Things have been relatively quiet lately.

I think a journalist asked the Police Commissioner if the shooter at both mosques was the same guy but he said he couldn't answer that now because they had charged him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭francois

This is the end result of the relentless demonizing of Muslims.

That poster suggested that this act was committed out of anger at the many horrific attacks by Muslim extremists - to me that smacks of trying to justify it or least make it something understandable.

Why are people surprised that extremist acts rile up extremists??? There are countless examples throughout history, go no further than this island. This is foolishness and can blind to the danger of where this can lead to.
    It is exactly what the extremists, on both sides, want.

Lets just hope there isnt an inevitability to this kind of a path.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Just because they had guns does not mean it has anything to do with gun control laws.

Plenty of ways to get hands on a gun without going to a shop.
    Another example of scapegoating. The blame here lies solely with the shooters.

untwist your knickers there lads. it was a genuine question about the availability of guns in NZ, not a political remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Any evidence this scumbag even claims to be Christian or claims to be acting in the name of Christianity?
    Or are you just trying to use this atrocity to make some cheap point?

It's clear he's an etno nationalist terrorist that hates non white people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The title of that manifesto alludes to "The Kalergi Plan". A far right conspiracy about population replacement. Fair few users in this site subscribe to it and the likes of Gemma O'Doherty have pushed it. So it was very much a person with extreme racist political views so no question of it being a terror attack.

i wonder how Tim Berners-Lee feels this morning?

He probably feels the same as the rest of us right minded people, but why do you about him specifically?

• Anybody watching or distributioning the disgusting video should be be tracked down and face criminal charges.

No they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I've been switching between radio and TV stations. It seems to me that the BBC has barely mentioned it and RTE Radio One spent half an hour droning on about ridiculous Brexit ****e. They are only getting to it now.

RTÉ covered it for about 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Shocked at this atrocity. New Zealand is one of the last places I would expect such a wanton act of evil barbarism to occur.

Thoughts with the victims and their families.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Absolutely horrific.

RIP to the victims.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement