Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How can you keep a cat out of the garden?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant to rephrase that. Use an electric fence like on farms to keep in stock. Not straight off the mains. A quick shock off that and that’s it problem solved

If it has gotten that bad I’d go with David’s suggestion. This type of electric fence won’t kill them, but will ensure they will never go near electric fence tape again.
    Get a loan or buy a battery powered one and try it. Once they ha e had a shock off they will never come back and you can remove the fenced but leave the tape as a reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Insidious

Sheepdish1 wrote:
    Cats naturally roam, they are “semi domesticated†in the sense they roam, hunt, mark territory and can be quite independent to an extent compared to other pets.

Sheepdish1 wrote:
    If it wasn’t this cat it would be another cat using the garden imo. Due to people not being responsible with neutering their animals there are so many feral cats that live in urban areas, we just don’t see them because they usually come out at night when it is quiet.

As much as I agree with your comments.. people wouldn't put up with a neighbour's dog crapping in their back garden or trashing their children's stuff. It should be treated the same. The owner of the cat should pay for the replacement... Especially when they have it in a video. I do think things need to change here and cats should be kept within their own property.. cat poop is dangerous when on little fingers.. too many people just think cats should be allowed roam freely to use anyone's garden as a toilet. It really isn't on. How do you think the cat owners would react if every morning they got up to find you left their cats droppings on their doorstep? 💩

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Insidious wrote: »
    As much as I agree with your comments.. people wouldn't put up with a neighbour's dog crapping in their back garden or trashing their children's stuff. It should be treated the same. The owner of the cat should pay for the replacement... Especially when they have it in a video. I do think things need to change here and cats should be kept within their own property.. cat poop is dangerous when on little fingers.. too many people just think cats should be allowed roam freely to use anyone's garden as a toilet. It really isn't on. How do you think the cat owners would react if every morning they got up to find you left their cats droppings on their doorstep? 💩

I agree the cat owner should pay for the damage but they probably don’t care and will say they shouldn’t have left the pool out overnight.

I also agree with all the above points you’ve made however feral cats will use soil and sandboxes too so you need to be mindful of hygeine with young children regardless of whether this cat stops using their garden or not.

There are a lot of irresponsible pet owners. Rescues are bursting with kittens because people don’t bother to get basic veterinary care to stop their own animals from breeding. Some owners do let their cats outside but encourage them to use a litter tray or their own garden but this would be a minority I would guess.

Many dog owners where I live just let their dogs out and let them out to go to the tiolet. It is disgusting. There are plenty of dog owners won’t pick dog dirt if they can get away with not being seen. Of course there are good dog owners but the paths and many parks are covered in dog dirt.

I don’t think the mindset of cats being let out like they to use the toilet is going to change any time soon as people simply don’t care as it’s the easiest option for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I think a town in france did something similar- they started leaving feaces back on the owners doorsteps but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Water pistol.
    Not too powerful but a few shots if water is enough to deter them.

Anyone advocating violence against cats, dogs etc. message me so we can meet and I'll show you violence.

Lol violence is bad if you disagree ill beat you up.
    Seems infractions are only warranted for animal violence.

Op i wouldn't get involved with nets etc... that's going to a lot of expense on behalf of someone else...i.e. the owner.

I'd second the electric tape idea and continue with the water pistols... but you have to cover the sand either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Nody wrote: »
    I'll assume there is fences all around the property; if not they would need to go up for obvious reasons. What you need is to set up a net about 40cm high angled at 45 degree pointing OUT from their fence. This is assuming you've not left any holes in the fence for them to use obviously; if so they need to be fully covered up as well.

f255f393f587376768543a5c79809077.jpg

The angle and the length of it makes the cats not jumping up in the first place due to the way the net blocks them; that way you ensure they stay out. Second option but no were near as effective would be a motion activated sprinkler but they may need more than one to ensure their garden is covered.

Auschwitz-Birkenau19-1024.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    What are the netting part made from? Is it metal or netting?
    Metal or plastic depending on how you wish to put it into place (if you use plastic you want to run a thread through the top as well to ensure it stays in place where as metal you don't need to in all instances). For example you could use normal chicken net or plastic like this but make sure it's made to be outside and last to avoid it having to be replaced after a year or two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This thread is going downhill fast. Ill ask all posters to reign in the advocating of violence and the concentration camp pictures. The next person messing about will be infracted. If you've nothing sensible to add to this thread don't bother posting in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I don't know whats more pathetic, the hovel of after hours where sub-society species inhabit in their droves getting little sleep waiting to laugh at each others pathetic jokes, or over-sensitive animal lovers (especially ones with thousand's of post's) congregating defending their little sh*t machines who are annoying people who don't have the time or patience to look after such creatures.

Good luck OP, I hope you sort out your issue but you won't find any help here I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Jeyes fluid in lunchbox. Put the cover on but drill a few holes in the side. The smell will last a few weeks as the rain won’t wash it away. Very effective :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

DubInTheWest infracted, do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,478 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I find that black pepper mixed with Vick’s and smeared on the wall keeps cats away. You could try smearing it on the lid and walls of the sandpit too OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    I had a missing cat a few months ago and I called a cat behaviourist who offered me by far the best advice in finding my cat as she knew more about how cats behave and why than anyone else. I was given fantastic advice on how to look for her and what places they are more likely to go to or not depending on type of flowers or sheds with access to underneath etc.

Certain things make gardens more or less appealing for cats that aren't necessarily obvious to most people.

She was very nice and the most helpful person when I was searching and she didn't charge me . The reason I suggested it is because a person who knows about how cats behave would be able to tell the OP's friend ways that actually work and deter cats more than the average person would know. She would also be able to tell the OP's friend devices that actually work to deter cats instead of OP's friend trying different things that people suggest as they haven't worked to date :)
    Cat behaviourist, fools and their money and all that. :rolleyes: there are no amount of quacks that will give out advice and charge your handsomely for it.

There are several solutions to this. Trapping and taking this stray to a rescue could be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I find that black pepper mixed with Vick’s and smeared on the wall keeps cats away. You could try smearing it on the lid and walls of the sandpit too OP.

Where the kids playing in the sandbox are going to get up close and personal to it? The cure could be worse than the disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

I've put a load of 3 inch screws up through light wood and left it surrounding my plants that someones cat has been ****ting on, lightly covered of course, front garden. Light sprinkling of Cayenne pepper on the soil too, impaled intruder running home with scorching burns might take care of minding the cat.

Have the fat ****in Tomcat on neighbours cam before, hoping I get him on my one again trying to get the screws out of his feet as he's crying for his parents.

Watch your cats or others will, they're not everyones pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

We had this in the UK. Neighbour's we extremely ignorant even when our sons garden toys got destroyed. We owned the dividing fence and got plastic strips with spikes on them from amazon. They didn't actually work. The cat also ignored our dog. Dog did get a chunk of fluff off its tail once

They kicked up big time over it when they saw us installing them but I threatened to sue them in small claims for cost of deterrents and damaged property. Neighbour's on other side also threatened the same. They got rid of the cat

I think we're done here.

Thread closed.

avalidusername, in light of your pms regarding the poisoning of 'un house trained little bs' i've upgraded your infraction to a permaban from this forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement