Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Montessori and cleaning

• 14-02-2019 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    My wife recently took a job as a Montessori teacher in a local Montessori school. She loves working with the children but dislikes having to clean toilets in the Montessori and having the clean the classroom at the end of the day. My wife is originally from Spain has a level 8 degree in early childhood education, worked for 6 years in Spain as a teacher. This job she has taken in the Montessori school as a Montessori teacher (as distinct from the classroom assistants) because it's near where we live but she is considering moving to another role.
    I have no experience with how Montessori schools work in Ireland and have told my wife that cleaning could be part of the teaching job in all Montessori schools? Any advice would be appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Kathnora

Hi,
    My wife recently took a job as a Montessori teacher in a local Montessori school. She loves working with the children but dislikes having to clean toilets in the Montessori and having the clean the classroom at the end of the day. My wife is originally from Spain has a level 8 degree in early childhood education, worked for 6 years in Spain as a teacher. This job she has taken in the Montessori school as a Montessori teacher (as distinct from the classroom assistants) because it's near where we live but she is considering moving to another role.
    I have no experience with how Montessori schools work in Ireland and have told my wife that cleaning could be part of the teaching job in all Montessori schools? Any advice would be appreciated?

The only cleaning a teacher should have to do is to wipe messy tables after an art lesson, clean down a sink after Art and maybe sweep up paper etc off the floor following a lesson. Toilets and the "big" clean of the floor etc are the role of the school cleaner. As Montessori schools are privately run my guess is that their budget doesn't stretch to employing a cleaner ....or if they have a cleaner perhaps they can only afford to employ him/her for a limited time. Bottom line is .....teachers should not have to clean toilets or anything other than general tidying up duties.

Advertisement