Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 234 WHITTAKER VS GASTELUM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Also $50Aus is probably €30 at current exchange rate, but everything costs more in general over here, even after taking the exchange rate into account. That's where i got €20 from.

That is a weak PPV card :D There is still some fun fights on it though, I'll watch it for sure but I wouldn't pay for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Another loss for ishihara coming right up imo

Doesn't belong here at all

Great fun while it lasted

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ERG89 wrote: »
    Would it not make sense to have a fighter as backup.
    Both of the main fights were in the middleweight division so the odds of one going down weren't exactly low.
    Even Gastelum having a staph infection and ringworm is ridiculous.
    Feel bad for Whittaker as he's had enough health issues before.
    It's makes sense to have a back up in hindsight. But it's not feasible for every card. It means having a fighter in camp, taking a 24h flight, cutting weight. It would interfere with upcoming fights a lot. As the standby can't book another fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Didn't they originally ask Stylebender to be backup and he said no?

derfderf wrote: »
    Also $50Aus is probably €30 at current exchange rate, but everything costs more in general over here, even after taking the exchange rate into account. That's where i got €20 from.
    The problem with using the exchange rate to compare is that it changes. Having it seem more or less expensive in euro. But the cost isn't changing.
    Cost of living differences are a big factor, as you said. So I think look at it in terms if min-wage makes most sense. Which works out st about €25. Hardly scandalous

Marcos Rosa Mariano has zero ground game. I reckon an blue belt hobbiest taps him.

I give that second round to Silva
    19-19 going into the last round.
    Israel needs to fight smart

UFC most likely knew in advance Whitaker would not be fighting tonight. They didn't announce it because people would start demanding refunds and perhaps it would have an effect on PPV numbers. There were probably people who turned up at the arena only to find out Whitaker would not be fighting. A ****ty way to treat people but don't expect better from a promoter.

Or you can believe the UFC version of events.

I wouldn't put it past the UFC. But your scenario has a lot of holes it in.
    The story broke from Whitakers camp. Not an official UFC statement. So any shenanigans would require Whitaker to be in on screwing over the largely hometown crowd. Which I'd find unlikely, personally. Also there's zero chance his team or doctors let him go through with a weight cut a few hours before scheduled surgery.
    Plus there's the fact Kelvin still gets paid show money because he weighed in. That's probably a bigger cost than refunding a small % of tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

whats the story with kelvin holding a belt after the main fight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

tommyboy26 wrote: »

And what's the story with the rumours he has staph, or ringworm or herpes apparently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    That was Henry Cejudo's belt, he was carrying it all night, in interviews before & after the event too. He was saying because Whittaker didn't turn up for work that it the middleweight belt was his now and if he Robert wants to win his belt back he can if they get to fight. Cringey stuff but thta's how it is these days.

And what's the story with the rumours he has staph, or ringworm or herpes apparently?
    He said after the event that he had staph and he had stuff all over his body. How he would have been allowed to fight I don't know as he was making no effort to hide it like Kevin Lee did but it never mattered in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Haha! He is correct too except it's one of Cejudo's belts Kelvin was holding.

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1094470024297922560

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That Sam Alvey stoppage was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I thought the Silva vs Adesandya fight was great fun.

Hope Kelvin is still next in line for a title shot although it wouldn't surprise me if the Ufc screwed him over and now put Israel ahead of him.

most surprised i've been by a card in a while, expected nothing from this, main event included
    what a fun fight the main event was, would love to have seen that when silva was in his prime but even at his age his performance was pretty good, almost vintage silva at times and I desperately wanted adesanya to get clipped at times

devonte smith is a gas man, loved his interview and how his only loss came to john gunther is beyond me :eek:

ricky simon the name to take from this card for me, don't see anyone subbing that guy for a long time, could be a contender very soon
    also very happy vannata got a win and an easy one against an opponent who clearly won't be in the ufc for long

ricero wrote: »

Hope Kelvin is still next in line for a title shot although it wouldn't surprise me if the Ufc screwed him over and now put Israel ahead of him.

quite possible if he wanted it but I reckon adesanya will want one more fight

surely has to get one of weidman, rock or romero next surely, hoping it's romero myself

such a shame mousasi isn't there, what a dream match up that would be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Paulo Costa giving it the large one to Israel calling him scrawny, someone should tell him not everyone is flat out on the juice. Bizarre tweet. The idiot also tagged Style Blender & not Israel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtsRJpXhjy6

Totally forgot that he was fighting Yoel next in Miami.

What a fight that should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

ricero wrote: »
    Totally forgot that he was fighting Yoel next in Miami.

What a fight that should be.

Battle of the roids. Class fight to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

mailburner wrote:
    surely has to get one of weidman, rock or romero next surely, hoping it's romero myself

Rockhold has moved up to LHW. Style Bender vs winner of Romero and Costa with winner getting a title shot seems the most logical but then again UFC rankings and logic don't go together much lately

Style Bender vs Romero winner getting a title shot seems the most logical but then again UFC rankings and logic don't go together much lately

fyp :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I really enjoyed the main event. Surprised to see so many people giving out about it to be honest.

Agreed with those saying Stylebender vs Romero/Costa winner. Either is an amazing match up.

I thought for a minute Herman was gonna deck Goddard. In real time I didn't think it was too bad of a stoppage but the replays are damning.

mailburner wrote:
    fyp

Haha probably fair. Costa coming off 2 good wins and Yoel isn't getting any younger and has had 2 wars with Whittaker so I wouldn't count Costa out. Maybe a better post fix would have been winner of Costa/Romero versus USADA?

Haha probably fair. Costa coming off 2 good wins and Yoel isn't getting any younger and has had 2 wars with Whittaker so I wouldn't count Costa out. Maybe a better post fix would have been winner of Costa/Romero versus USADA?

haha

I'm not convinced by costa myself is all, he's a beast who can punch hard and has looked good beating nobody...now comes his first real test, think romero will beat him myself.
    You would think it might be romeros last throw of the dice for title contention but he has looked so good in every fight that he might still have it in him to get another shot

Gotta love heel Gastelums Interview with Megan Oliva holding the belt

mailburner wrote:
    I'm not convinced by costa myself is all, he's a beast who can punch hard and has looked good beating nobody...now comes his first real test, think romero will beat him myself. You would think it might be romeros last throw of the dice for title contention but he has looked so good in every fight that he might still have it in him to get another shot

I agree Romero likely will beat him and that Costa hasn't been truly tested but he has potential imo. Style Bender fits that description too really (Silva certainly isn't nobody but you know what I mean) and I can see Yoel beating him too. Which then sets up the Yoel / Whittaker trilogy where Romero will miss weight or Rob gets injured and we are back to square one! That's not even mentioning Gastelum! Interesting division at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

if kelvin had a staph infection why were they willing to let him fight or can someone be pulled from a fight for something like that?

silvia called out nick diaz in post fight interview. i would love to see that fight. no interest in seen him and conor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Adesanya V MVP could be a great cross over fight. Granted they would have to meet in the middle regarding weight

Advertisement