Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 234 WHITTAKER VS GASTELUM

• 09-02-2019 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭

Prelims and main card bt sports 2 1-3 and 3-7

11r4yft.jpg

Sucks for all here especially the aussies having this on at a time to suit the yanks :(

It's hard to get excited about any fight outside the main two, fancy a pts win for adesanya but I fear this will be more of a dancing contest with lots of booing.

whittaker but I'm not sure how he gets it done, will no doubt be relieved not to be staring over at romero though.

Sam alvey on the main card...meh

yahya likes subs, has 20 sub wins

ishihara is the worst fighter on the ufc roster but he has a few fans I guess.

I can't see where the excitement is going to come from outside of the main event so for me staying up might feel like a bit of a slog but a slog I'll do if I'm wrong about the card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Will watch as far as Lando and catch the rest tomorrow.

Hard to ignore all the talk of Gastelums ringworm/staph this week so it's put a bit of a dampener on the main event for me.

Adesanya vs Silva simply shouldn't be happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gastelum and Adasenya by ko/tko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Think I'll be recording this and watching it with a bowl of porridge tomorrow morning not long after it ends rather than staying up all night.

The main event will be a great fight, the co main is a farce in an attempt to justify Izzy jumping the title contention queue and although some of the under card fights look decent I just don't fancy being sleep deprived tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Robert Whittaker is out.

New Main Event Isreal vs Silva

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

d00mk1n wrote: »
    Robert Whittaker is out.

New Main Event Isreal vs Silva

****!!!
    Man Whittaker has awful luck with injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not staying up now anyway **** sake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Ah Jesus Christ.

Second time he's pulled out of a main event in Australia. There's a few of my mates going to this event and will be waking up to this news any minute. Sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Oh dear the main intrigue gone that's a very sad looking numbered event.

Isreal v Silva for an interim id say

Hernia, ouchies.

• Advertisement

Have to laugh everyone thought it would be Gastelum pulling out and then this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I can picture dana's head about to explode with rage, what a sickner. He's having surgery today according to DW.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1094330216116187136?s=19

In fairness, this isn't anyone's fault, it's just bad luck, can't blame bobby for it.

Silva and Style Bender for Interm Title :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Wow, must now be the worst ever PPV card. Seriously who da fup are most of the fighters on the card

Beersmith wrote: »
    Wow, must now be the worst ever PPV card. Seriously who da fup are most of the fighters on the card

Yea it really is the drizzling ****s of a ppv

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Sh1te :(

Imagine paying for this

If ever a card needed this fight it's this card, rip 234
    The poor fans in oz though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Vannata v Rosa is the new co-main? That fight was originally on the Fight Pass prelims!! It will probably be entertaining as Lando's fights usually are because he gets hit so much but having a guy who's UFC record is 1-3-2 fight an unknown guy making his UFC debut in the co-main of a ppv just shows what a lousy card it was already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

4 out of the 10 fighters on what's the main card now have no Wikipedia page :o

Saw during week Dana was asked by a journo that some people would suggest this is a top heavy card, his response was no we got Jim Crute/Sam Alvey on there that should be a fun one wasn't pressed but that was always on the main card and it was obvious Dana couldn't actually name a single fight on the prelims :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,460 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Oh and it's been confirmed that Silva v Adesanya will be a 3 round main event. I assume it was too late notice for Silva given his age and he trained for 3 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

How exactly has he only been diagnosed with a hernia so severe it needs an operation, this close to the event??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Well I'm not paying $50 for Silva vs Stylebender.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Beersmith wrote:

Would it not make sense to have a fighter as backup.
    Both of the main fights were in the middleweight division so the odds of one going down weren't exactly low.
    Even Gastelum having a staph infection and ringworm is ridiculous.
    Feel bad for Whittaker as he's had enough health issues before.

derfderf wrote: »
    Well I'm not paying $50 for Silva vs Stylebender.

Madness to pay that for any card anyway.

How do those ppv's work anyway?

Do they still charge full price for the likes of this even at this stage with no real main event?

I'll assume they do when so many have paid the full price already before this news broke.

mailburner wrote: »
    How do those ppv's work anyway?

Do they still charge full price for the likes of this even at this stage with no real main event?

I'll assume they do when so many have paid the full price already before this news broke.

I'm in Australia. Same price regardless. It's on at 2pm here, so it's a good time to watch
    I get some people say it's madness to pay, but if nobody pays there's no UFC.

ASOT wrote: »
    Madness to pay that for any card anyway.

If you take everything in to account (average wages, cost of living etc) it's like paying €20 to watch in the middle of the day in Ireland. It's not that bad, and, as i said below, someone has to pay.

derfderf wrote: »
    If you take everything in to account (average wages, cost of living etc) it's like paying €20 to watch in the middle of the day in Ireland. It's not that bad, and, as i said below, someone has to pay.

:confused:
    well it's showing up as 65 bucks digital ppv in the states which is staggering considering outside of the two main fights the rest of the card was as weak as I've seen in a very long time for a ppv.

Nothing short of daylight robbery right now regardless of time but hey it's worth more to be able to watch these at a normal hour it's fair to say.

• Advertisement

mailburner wrote: »
    :confused:
    well it's showing up as 65 bucks digital ppv in the states which is staggering considering outside of the two main fights the rest of the card was as weak as I've seen in a very long time for a ppv.

Nothing short of daylight robbery right now regardless of time but hey it's worth more to be able to watch these at a normal hour it's fair to say.

$65US. Probably $85AUS. I'd be pissed paying that.They pay more in the US as it's on at primetime. I prefer 2pm Sunday to be honest.

Advertisement