Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Truth or bitterness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

roadmaster wrote: »
    I was listening to off the ball last night and Colin fennelly was being interviewed. He revealed he had left the army and it was nothing but boredom as all he did was sit in the barracks and the same over seas. I have attached the indo article or can you listen back to on newstalk. Is this a case of home truths of the army or is he just bitter over something?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/life-in-the-army-was-absolute-boredom-says-kilkenny-hurler-colin-fennelly-37771668.html

he made a few valid points but in general twas a load of BS. he was very well looking after in order to ensure he was always around to go to training and matches. as a result he was qualified to do sweet fcuk all. even when he was taking about his trip overseas (well half a trip, because he whinged off after coming home on leave) he didn't seem to understand the basics, like the purpose of patrols etc. maybe that's down to his ncos,s or maybe he really is just that dim. intercounty hurler or not I doubt he would have had much of a career in the DF had he remained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Jeffery Elegant Twerp

A pampered GAA superstar and DF poster boy, his service wouldn't be typical of a soldier in any unit.

Look we've all seen wasters and people simply not cut out for military life, I think Fennelly was one of them. They typically want everything handed to them, can't be bothered chasing career courses. Going sick off duties, exercises and even in this case going sick at home from a UN mission (did he do his 90 days in the mission area to get the medal?, I've seen crafty bastards do this before crying off a trip).

Typically these people (I won't call them soldiers) leave bitter and disgruntled and all the ill's they feel towards the DF is vented as they being the victims of something.

Awww I'm bored'.. Well put the fvcking hurley stick down, pick up a rifle and do some fvcking soldiering then asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This is not a straight forward answer, I doubt there is one.

He joined the Defence Forces in 2012 which coincided with a reorganisation of the structure, funding and operation of the DF.

It was a bad time to join...it still is.

Its important to realise that each Unit, Corps and Branch of the DF is different. They have different duties, responsibilities, training and day to day activities. Some are busier and more complex than others for a multitude of reasons.

Its also important to realise that your Rank can (at a base level) determin how busy you are. His (Fennelly) Rank was Private 3 Star (Lowest fully trained Enlisted Rank in the Army).

Generally speaking, his responsibilities would be minimal. Now, there are plenty of Private soldiers who are very busy and have jobs which carry great responsibility and without them nothing would get done, so its not an unimportant Rank.

In 6 years as a serving soldier he did not complete an N.C.O course, this is a tough enough course that trains and prepares you for a command and leadership role within the organisation. It's the first step on the command ladder and would see him be in charge of up to 10 Privates in a conventional setting.

In the 2000's, it used to be frowned upon if during your initial 5yr contract you had not applied or completed this course. It was usually an indication of the persons motivation and mentality...good or bad.

Taking that into account.

Are there days where you have nothing to do? Yes there are.

Is it simply that there is nothing to do? No its not. There are a myriad of reasons why there may nit be anything to do.

I noted his motivation to join the DF was simply to get a job in Ireland that could facilitate his GAA career. He did not join the DF to soldier, to represent or serve his country. This tells us that he used the DF for what he wanted, got what he wanted, then got out. He didnt want to do military courses, he did not want promotion or the responsibility that goes with it, he did not want to serve overseas.

He blames "the higher ups" but cant really say why. He does not seem to understand the Defence Forces. He's also from Kilkenny and was lucky enough to be based in Kilkenny...he did not face awful commutes.

By all accounts he was "looked after" as a GAA golden child. There have been quite a few. This means that the DF will prioritise GAA over military duties. He did more with a hurl than he did with a rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If he was smart he should have just said it was grand but not for me and left it at that. I taught it was piss poor of him to bring up nurses pay and try compare it to the army. The way some people are in this country against the military they would love to hear that

If he was smart he should have just said it was grand but not for me and left it at that. I taught it was piss poor of him to bring up nurses pay and try compare it to the army. The way some people are in this country against the military they would love to hear that

I think he was ill-prepared. I dont think he was expecting to be asked certain questions. He didnt seem intelligent enough to know he was "digging up" with each answer. It was meant to be about GAA not d'army.

Then he ranted with combinations of half sentences and BS about nurses.

You dont mind lads telling it like it is...but he was talking shyte.

I have great sympathy for nurses but I dont care how hard they work or under what conditions but a bad day in the Defence Forces is a damn sight harder than a bad day as a nurse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,353 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m from Kilkenny where there is a proud local army tradition and I cringed the whole through that. Also a big employer locally? 100s of jobs dependent on it. Absolutely awful stuff and what a kick in the face to his former colleagues and “friends”. I honestly wouldn’t like to be him coming in contact with them.
    Populist clap trap about nurses too- there’s plenty of ones like him too that couldn’t give a rats arse and are going through the motions.
    Often jobs are what you make them and it’s clear he thought the whole thing was beneath him. Probably brushed aside for promotion due to his obviously awful attitude and arrogance, hence his pathetic axe to grind.

I think he was ill-prepared. I dont think he was expecting to be asked certain questions. He didnt seem intelligent enough to know he was "digging up" with each answer. It was meant to be about GAA not d'army..

I don’t think you need to be prepared to not diss former colleagues and say they do nothing all day every day.
    In another line he then says they’re understaffed!!!
    Overall I’d say a not very bright individual with notions far beyond his ability. It happens with the odd hurling star, you never hear about them again

This is not a straight forward answer, I doubt there is one.

He joined the Defence Forces in 2012 which coincided with a reorganisation of the structure, funding and operation of the DF.

It was a bad time to join...it still is.

Its important to realise that each Unit, Corps and Branch of the DF is different. They have different duties, responsibilities, training and day to day activities. Some are busier and more complex than others for a multitude of reasons.

Its also important to realise that your Rank can (at a base level) determin how busy you are. His (Fennelly) Rank was Private 3 Star (Lowest fully trained Enlisted Rank in the Army).

Generally speaking, his responsibilities would be minimal. Now, there are plenty of Private soldiers who are very busy and have jobs which carry great responsibility and without them nothing would get done, so its not an unimportant Rank.

In 6 years as a serving soldier he did not complete an N.C.O course, this is a tough enough course that trains and prepares you for a command and leadership role within the organisation. It's the first step on the command ladder and would see him be in charge of up to 10 Privates in a conventional setting.

In the 2000's, it used to be frowned upon if during your initial 5yr contract you had not applied or completed this course. It was usually an indication of the persons motivation and mentality...good or bad.

Taking that into account.

Are there days where you have nothing to do? Yes there are.

Is it simply that there is nothing to do? No its not. There are a myriad of reasons why there may nit be anything to do.

I noted his motivation to join the DF was simply to get a job in Ireland that could facilitate his GAA career. He did not join the DF to soldier, to represent or serve his country. This tells us that he used the DF for what he wanted, got what he wanted, then got out. He didnt want to do military courses, he did not want promotion or the responsibility that goes with it, he did not want to serve overseas.

He blames "the higher ups" but cant really say why. He does not seem to understand the Defence Forces. He's also from Kilkenny and was lucky enough to be based in Kilkenny...he did not face awful commutes.

By all accounts he was "looked after" as a GAA golden child. There have been quite a few. This means that the DF will prioritise GAA over military duties. He did more with a hurl than he did with a rifle

The army being what it is supposed to be about- should have no special dispensations for anyone, including GAA players. If that doesn’t suit, then off you go and do something else.
    I think this princess doesn’t know it care how privileged he’s been in terms of opportunity and employment.
    The line about wanting to meet the locals in Lebanon was another gem he cane out- I doubt it bothered him too much now somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have great sympathy for nurses but I dont care how hard they work or under what conditions but a bad day in the Defence Forces is a damn sight harder than a bad day as a nurse.

The Irish army? Are you sure?

Simona1986 wrote: »

Well I’d imagine thr poor ones killed in the Congo might agree. Don’t recall any nurses dying in the line of duty but with their incessant whining you’d almost think otherwise

• Advertisement

Am I sure that a bad day in the army is worse than a bad day as a nurse?

Yes, I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Am I sure that a bad day in the army is worse than a bad day as a nurse?

Yes, I'm sure.

Why are you sure?

Lets not make it a them and us argument, that just suits the people who are against both nurses pay and the DF.

I've been oversea's when comrades/friends have been killed. We've fairly cushy trips now compared to the earlier Leb missions. Losing a soldier oversea's is horrible, sheltering with frightened civilians from SLA/IDF bombardments is horrible.

Is that comparable or worse than an A&E nurses life?. Its different. Personally I wouldn't swap roles, I think they're the bravest of the brave and the most compassionate people in our society.

But there can never be a them and us. Divide and conquer won't suit either of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

He kept saying "nothing to do" which has annoyed a lot of my friends in the Defence Forces.

He was getting time off to go training and from what I heard he wasnt doing too many duties.

I think his comments were very immature especially when his comrades were picking up the slack for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Negative_G

The man could barely construct a sentence, let alone support his opinion with any type of fact.

A gombeen.

The officers/SNCOs who facilitated his special treatment should be ashamed of themselves.

Be under no illusion, this special treatment continues today for many in the DF, particularly in army units where you could literally be thick as two ****es but if you are a good runner you will get a big slap on the back.

It is wholesale in the Gardai aswell. It's not a coincidence that many "big shot" GAA players end up back in their home continues so they can play for the local/county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Negative_G wrote: »
    The man could barely construct a sentence, let alone support his opinion with any type of fact.

A gombeen.

The officers/SNCOs who facilitated his special treatment should be ashamed of themselves.

Be under no illusion, this special treatment continues today for many in the DF, particularly in army units where you could literally be thick as two ****es but if you are a good runner you will get a big slap on the back.

It is wholesale in the Gardai aswell. It's not a coincidence that many "big shot" GAA players end up back in their home continues so they can play for the local/county team.

There is a few guards and pdf playing on the same team as me and they could only dream of getting time of that county players get off but then again they are only junior b players and no good for the PR dept of the defense forces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Negative_G

There is a few guards and pdf playing on the same team as me and they could only dream of getting time of that county players get off but then again they are only junior b players and no good for the PR dept of the defense forces

You need to be performing at the highest level to be treated like a professional athlete in the DF. I know using "GAA" and "Professional Athlete" in the same sentene is a bit of an oxymoron but there you go.

If there is even the smallest chance of getting a bit of positive PR the DF will fall over themselves to give time off, and lets face it, most of those will train during working hours anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Ho hum....a bored private in the Army....shock, horror!!! Next we'll have the privates complaining about the food, the barracks, the cold, the long runs, the heavy rucks....oh, wait :-) He comes across as a whiner, nothing more. He had a decent tour overseas, no one got hurt or killed and got to train while being paid. STFU!!! We have them over here too, the "Army Athletics Program" where these people essentially get paid to train and do PR for the Army. The Olympic level ones as essentially govt. funded professional athletes. In a small military like Ireland, he was lucky to have gotten to join, train and deploy. The whiner should have just done his time, as posted above, said "Enjoyed it, thanks and now I'm pursuing something else" Twat

irishrgr wrote: »
    Ho hum....a bored private in the Army....shock, horror!!! Next we'll have the privates complaining about the food, the barracks, the cold, the long runs, the heavy rucks....oh, wait :-) He comes across as a whiner, nothing more. He had a decent tour overseas, no one got hurt or killed and got to train while being paid. STFU!!! We have them over here too, the "Army Athletics Program" where these people essentially get paid to train and do PR for the Army. The Olympic level ones as essentially govt. funded professional athletes. In a small military like Ireland, he was lucky to have gotten to join, train and deploy. The whiner should have just done his time, as posted above, said "Enjoyed it, thanks and now I'm pursuing something else" Twat

He didn't even do an oversea's mission. He done a bit of one then came home on leave, went sick and never returned to the mission area. A cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

road_high wrote: »
    I think this princess doesn’t know it care how privileged he’s been in terms of opportunity and employment.
    With a bit of luck, karma will put him in a dead end job where no-one likes ga.

• Advertisement

I don’t give a sheite about GAA. Amateur sports matches don’t involve situations where your life depends on your team, no matter what a Kilkenny GAA fan might think.

He sounds like a good hurler, Marengo, and a disgrace of a man to be wearing a uniform in the first place. Better he shut his trap and leave the real men and women to get on with their important roles without his nonsense while he pucks a ball and packs shelves in newsagents, or whatever a thick sheite with bad character does to feed themselves pints on holidays.

I’d wipe my arse with the article if I had a copy in print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

JayZeus wrote: »
    I don’t give a sheite about GAA. Amateur sports matches don’t involve situations where your life depends on your team, not matter what a GAA fan might think.

He sounds like a good hurler, Marengo, and a disgrace of a man to be wearing a uniform in the first place. Better he shut his trap and leave the real men and women who respect their roles in the defence forces to get on with their important roles while he pucks a ball and packs shelves in newsagents, or whatever a thick sheite with bad character does to feed themselves pints on holidays.

I’d wipe my arse with the article if I had a copy in print.

Just read his article. Nothing as thick in it as some of your incoherent rant.

He's a hurling man and a Kilkenny hurler at that. If he put it into the army he has the stuff. Why wouldn't he use the army for his hurling career. At the end of the day despite the thinking here the Irish Defence Force are a non entity.

They contain brave, disciplined, men. I'd never deny that, but bar Jadotville/Congo, early Lebanon we're not exactly a super power.

Real men and women! Fennelly's family have pedigree and would do his talking anywhere if he choose.

Brian Cody never picked a man with bad character. You'd swear some of the Irish forces actually fought a real war.

You have to go back 100 years when 8 or 9 a day were dying fighting the Brits. Haven't heard of too many deaths in years among your 'real' men and women. Sounds like ye greatly over estimate yourselves. Not exactly Stalingrad is it.

You can wipe your ar*e with doc leaves.

Marengo wrote: »

He's a hurling man and a Kilkenny hurler at that. If he put it into the army he has the stuff. Why wouldn't he use the army for his hurling career. At the end of the day despite the thinking here the Irish Defence Force are a non entity.

They contain brave, disciplined, men. I'd never deny that, but bar Jadotville/Congo, early Lebanon we're not exactly a super power.

Real men and women! Fennelly's family have pedigree and would do his talking anywhere if he choose.

Brian Cody never picked a man with bad character. You'd swear some of the Irish forces actually fought a real war.

You have to go back 100 years when 8 or 9 a day were dying fighting the Brits. Haven't heard of too many deaths in years among your 'real' men and women. Sounds like ye greatly over estimate yourselves. Not exactly Stalingrad is it.

You can wipe your ar*e with doc leaves.

Go play with your balls there, like a good lass.

JayZeus wrote: »
    Go play with your balls there, like a good lad.

Now who's the thick shi*e?

You see you have nothing to offer, no knowledge of history.. nothing. Going on about bravery when there hasn't been a casualty in donkeys years. Your hardness is all in your head. If Fennelly put his mind to it he'd go through you like castor oil through sh*t!

And you know it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Jeez Marengo, your post and the earlier post seem to suggest that nobody should criticise because him and his whole family are GAA royalty.

He started this with his media comments.

Complaining of being bored overseas..... the army had forty-seven fellas killed over the years in UNIFIL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I will be honest I'm biased , the Army trains during inaction. I lost 2 members of my extended family in UN service this gob****e is talking bollix but nothing less than I would expect considering his length of 'service'.

Negative_G wrote:

My son is a Guard, I'm form a military family and your comment is bs.

Jeez Marengo, your post and the earlier post seem to suggest that nobody should criticise because him and his whole family are GAA royalty.

He started this with his media comments.

Complaining of being bored overseas..... the army had forty-seven fellas killed over the years in UNIFIL!

Over the years.. 1960s and 1970s.

No he's been slated for nothing (Fennelly). Our men were proven 100 years ago. You had over 40 a week killed often in the Tan War.

Ye're all up yourselves about the armed forces. They're not in serious combat. The man is right to put hurling first.

Marengo wrote:

Wow, I won't quote all your comment but well done on condensing so much stupid in such short and concise few paragraphs.

• Advertisement

Marengo wrote: »
    Now who's the thick shi*e?

You see you have nothing to offer, no knowledge of history.. nothing. Going on about bravery when there hasn't been a casualty in donkeys years. Your hardness is all in your head. If Fennelly put his mind to it he'd go through you like castor oil through sh*t!

And you know it too.

You reckon? WGAF?

Fennelly is a moany hole without the respect for his former colleagues any man of character would have. He must be trying to stick his mickey in a nurse too, looking for favour with his waffle.

The army don’t need semi-literate amateur sportsmen who prefer to play with a stick and a ball than get on with becoming better soldiers. I’m glad he’s gone now as maybe it’ll remind a few people that a good sportsman doesn’t necessarily have the wit, decency and character I expect most soldiers should, and help other people who have a bit of intelligence to recognise him as a bit of an entitled arsehole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement