Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Coral Cup - ITV4's Trilogy of Events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭Inviere

Big fine coming for Allen you’d think, not sure what his problem is today.

Certainly doesn't help dissuade the "angry man" persona he's often tagged with. Crazy stuff altogether. I have to say, the standard all through the masters and now this is shocking, from the very best the game has to offer. What the hell is going on??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dunno, seemed more just pure frustration than anything else but only Allen can explain what went wrong and he’s going to have to. Not good to see that happen.

Agree re the standard. It was poor last week too and this week no better, wilson has played poorly here, apart from last break, and he’s 3-0 ahead. I do personally think there are too many tournaments on the calendar but is that a reason for mediocrity? I’m not sure tbh.

I do personally think there are too many tournaments on the calendar but is that a reason for mediocrity? I’m not sure tbh.

Was thinking that myself, maybe they're all a bit burned out? Hard to say for sure, but some of the standard of late has been embarrassingly bad from the top 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I wonder if Allen has caught a cold/flu, looked very tired at times.

Table is playing very difficult than what they're used to. I don't necessarily think there's too many tournaments, but at times the structure of the season isn't the best, with this month having back-to-back-to-back tournaments, other months the players have half the month off.

Inviere wrote: »
    Was thinking that myself, maybe they're all a bit burned out? Hard to say for sure, but some of the standard of late has been embarrassingly bad from the top 16.

I’ve thought it for a few years. The counter argument usually is that there were only 6 tournaments 10 years ago so the more the merrier, but I just don’t go along with that. As suggested above, a few structural changes certainly wouldn’t go amiss.

It is hard to say - is Shaun Murphy’s problem burn out or something else for example? - but one thing I’m certain is not helping is the 128 draws and best of 7 matches. Drags the standard down imo, rather than improving it due to the rising tide lifting all boats theory advanced by those who favour it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I wonder if Allen has caught a cold/flu, looked very tired at times.

Take a wild guess Frank

Take a wild guess Frank

Still, it doesn't really excuse the behavior today. This guy is the top ranked seed this season, and just walked out on a match that wasn't going his way. He seen red, fine, we all do, but he let himself down today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Sure isn't an excuse, he has had a good season too, and is a likeable character

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Just getting up to date with all the drama I missed today.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/47162102
    Asked if regretted his actions, Allen replied: "Not at all. I don't regret much that I've done over the years."

I found his explanation for this rash decision to be a bit on the weak side but given we're all human one might be minded to forgive him for it. However as quoted above I can't believe he said he doesn't regret it. Stupid remark to make in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I wonder is the packed schedule contributing to the decrease in standard. Maybe some players, Kyren Wilson who won last week for example, would like to take a break and miss the odd tournament, but feel they can't afford to take one because they will lose out on potential ranking points, which are crucial for making top 16 / 32, and qualification for certain tournaments.

Perhaps O'Sullivan's idea, which he mentioned earlier this season, is a sensible one. A player's ranking is determined by their best X number of tournaments? So if there are 25 ranking tournaments a season, a player's top 15-20 performances would contribute to their ranking, giving players a chance to miss the odd tournament if needed.

• Advertisement

I’m a fan of marks but can’t support him on this one. To react like that because the table conditions are not to your liking is poor form I think. What’s wrong with a heavy table anyway? They’ve made break building too easy with modern conditions if you ask me, a view ronnie expressed during one of the pre-xmas tournaments and I was happy he said it.

I wonder is the packed schedule contributing to the decrease in standard. Maybe some players, Kyren Wilson who won last week for example, would like to take a break and miss the odd tournament, but feel they can't afford to take one because they will lose out on potential ranking points, which are crucial for making top 16 / 32, and qualification for certain tournaments.

Perhaps O'Sullivan's idea, which he mentioned earlier this season, is a sensible one. A player's ranking is determined by their best X number of tournaments? So if there are 25 ranking tournaments a season, a player's top 15-20 performances would contribute to their ranking, giving players a chance to miss the odd tournament if needed.

I agree with this. I don’t think players have quite figured out how to structure their seasons to maximize freshness. Some of them, Shaun Murphy for one, just play in everything. It’s easy to pick and choose if your ronnie or selby, not so much if your lower down and afraid you’ll be looking back in January wondering if that week you took off in October/November is the reason you missed out on masters or Grand Prix.

I’m a fan of marks but can’t support him on this one. To react like that because the table conditions are not to your liking is poor form I think.

I'd say if Mark was on the receiving end of treatment like that, he'd not be too impressed about it. It's bad form, and to be non apologetic about it even when he's cooled down, makes him look like a spoiled child. "I'm taking my cue home because I can't win". Wasn't too keen on the guy for years, was warming to him this season, but he's after resetting my opinion of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Today's matches:

1pm, Quarter-Finals
    Judd Trump v Mark Selby
    Kyren Wilson v Barry Hawkins

7pm, Semi-Final (Best-of-11)
    Ali Carter v Xiao Guodong

You'd imagine the winner of the Grand Prix would come from the bottom half of the draw, and not Carter/Guodong. With Gilbert out, I'll be rooting for Guodong/Wilson.

Ali Carter has not reached a final in two years, and has not won a tournament in nearly three years.

Xiao Guodong has also not reached a final in two years (which was a Shoot-Out event), and has never won a tournament.

One of these two players will at least get £40,000 from the final, which will make a big difference for either man's season.

Yes I’d be surprised if one out of the bottom 4 didn’t win it, maybe the Hawk though Selby might feel he is due a tournament win and could be grimly determined to do it this week.

I recall a fair amount of hype about Xaio 4-5 years ago, going to make the breakthrough, become the next Ding etc Just seemed to fall off a cliff sometime after that but he’s still a good player and maybe he’s finally ready to put it all together.

I recall a fair amount of hype about Xaio 4-5 years ago, going to make the breakthrough, become the next Ding etc Just seemed to fall off a cliff sometime after that but he’s still a good player and maybe he’s finally ready to put it all together.

The final stages of his match last night were shocking to watch as a viewer. The pair of them couldn't hit a ball. A lot of it was nerves I'd say

So Trump absolutely mauls Selby for the second time in as many months. Hawk looking good against Kyren now too.

I know Trump has been tipped as the next big thing for literally years now, but he’s gone up a few gears over the last season or two. I think he’s finally starting to hit his potential. Out of everyone, he’s the only one that even remotely looks like an old fashioned killer on the table.

So Trump absolutely mauls Selby for the second time in as many months. Hawk looking good against Kyren now too.

I know Trump has been tipped as the next big thing for literally years now, but he’s gone up a few gears over the last season or two. I think he’s finally starting to hit his potential. Out of everyone, he’s the only one that even remotely looks like an old fashioned killer on the table.

Was good to watch today, even if selby offered pathetically little resistance. Talent is unquestionable and comes across well in his interviews too, like he’s really maturing as a person too I think. Only concern for me is his habit of slipping on banana skins against lower ranked guys, no problem bossing selby or even ronnie from time to time.

Was good to watch today, even if selby offered pathetically little resistance. Talent is unquestionable and comes across well in his interviews too, like he’s really maturing as a person too I think. Only concern for me is his habit of slipping on banana skins against lower ranked guys, no problem bossing selby or even ronnie from time to time.

Yeah I’ve noticed his maturing both on and off the table too. I’d be a fan of Kyren but I don’t think he can match Trump for raw talent. The class of 92 look set to be on the way down, Kyren isn’t there yet, there’s still no Chinese hotshots that look capable of dominating just yet, Robertson hasn’t been on fire in a good while, Selby seems to be finally wilting...I think only Mark Allen can give Trump trouble for the foreseeable future

The Hawk is such a gent, bags of talent too. Seems to wilt a bit near the finish line at times though.

• Advertisement

Yeah I’ve noticed his maturing both on and off the table too. I’d be a fan of Kyren but I don’t think he can match Trump for raw talent. The class of 92 look set to be on the way down, Kyren isn’t there yet, there’s still no Chinese hotshots that look capable of dominating just yet, Robertson hasn’t been on fire in a good while, Selby seems to be finally wilting...I think only Mark Allen can give Trump trouble for the foreseeable future

Kyren says he is working on technical changes at the moment, seems strange to be making changes this part of season but guess he feels it will pay dividends. I get feeling with him, while he certainly doesn’t lack bottle, he tends to doubt himself a bit against the very top players. If he can overcome that, then he’s a big contender, no question about it. Some signs of a resurgence from robbo...but in truth not a lot there. I’ve higgins written off for worlds and don’t fancy MJW for repeat. Trump probably should be fsvourite now, for all the bookies love in for ronnie.

Would be very surprised if Ronnie gets to the business end of any more worlds tbh

Would be very surprised if Ronnie gets to the business end of any more worlds tbh

Though he’s still the paper favourite, I’d have to agree it requires a leap of faith to see him surviving the 15 day marathon these days. I did like how pumped he was for the uk, you could see how much it meant to him to break the record and if he could bring that to sheffield, then I’d give him a great chance. It is a big if though. As soon as I hear him moaning about the conditions or whatever else, it’ll be all bets instantly off. You’ll know his focus isn’t fully there but I’d like to see him give it 110%. A trump-ronnie final is something to dream about anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Not for a Ronnie fan! I'd make him an underdog to Trump, Selby, and Higgins (even on current form) in a long match. 50/50 against Allen and could easy lose to Williams if he turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Trump dominant against Selby. He’s given the best in the game some brutal beatings recently. Very disciplined performances also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

There are rumours of there being a fix between Xiao and Yuan last night and that they were playing for a deciding frame. And tonight, Xiao looked like he was playing for a whitewash. I lumped on under 7.5 frames at 4-0 down.
    Regardless of whether the fix was in, there is always a question mark with the Chinese players. They have a completely different culture and don't necessarily see it as being wrong.

Are there day sessions today, can’t see anything listed on itv4 until the evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bit surprised they wouldn't use the prime saturday afternoon session, but used friday afternoon instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Something to do with racing on ITV in the afternoon I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

zuutroy wrote: »
    Something to do with racing on ITV in the afternoon I think.

Well that worked a treat with the ban on racing now.

Advertisement