Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Championship 2019

• 13-12-2018 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

The 2019 Irish Championship will take place in the Talbot Hotel, Stillorgan from August 3-11. The prize fund for the main event is 4,000 euro and the confirmed entries are as follows:

IM Alex Lopez
    FM Conor O'Donnell
    FM Colm Daly
    FM Joe Ryan
    Jonathan O'Connor
    Killian Delaney
    John McMorrow

As I did last year, I'll be updating the list of entries on here sporadically. All boards will be played on live-boards.

The weekday event will be back again as well as a rapid event (10+5) on the first Sunday and a blitz event (3+2) on the second Sunday.

Details can be seen here: https://www.icu.ie/events/1114, https://www.icu.ie/events/1123, https://www.icu.ie/events/1124, https://www.icu.ie/events/1125

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Great that it is in the Talbot again, it's a brilliant venue!!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

One IM to go (for IM norm chances) after IM Fitzsimons confirmed:

2496 IM Alex Lopez

2341 FM Conor O'Donnell

2281 FM Joe Ryan

2273 IM David Fitzsimons

2243 FM Colm Daly

2203 Killian Delaney

2129 Jonathan O'Connor

1998 John McMorrow

We have our 3 IMs with Quinn in - hopefully Mr O'Donnell can make his third norm in a year soon and become number 4. Wall also likely to play. To be seen if Masters Baburin and Collins are up to the challenge: :P

IM Alex Lopez
    FM Conor O'Donnell
    IM Mark Quinn
    FM Joe Ryan
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Colm Daly
    Killian Delaney
    Jonathan O'Connor
    John McMorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Can somebody please tell Alex for next year, no need to try and win every single game. Easy goes :)

IM Sam Collins - new entry
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn
    FM Conor Murphy - new entry
    FM Conor O'Donnell
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Colm Daly
    FM Joe Ryan
    Killian Delaney
    Jonathan O'Connor
    John McMorrow

• Advertisement

Entries creeping up in the last month.

GM Alex Baburin - new entry
    IM Sam Collins
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn
    FM Conor Murphy
    FM Conor O'Donnell
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Henry Li - new entry
    FM Colm Daly
    FM Joe Ryan
    Killian Delaney
    Jonathan O'Connor
    Peter Carroll - new entry
    John McMorrow
    Anthony Fox - new entry

With the Irish Open finished, the ICU's focus switches to the Glorney in July and the Irish Championships in August. The list has been building nicely for the Irish with current entries below:

IM Sam Collins
    GM Alex Baburin
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn

FM Conor O'Donnell
    FM Conor Murphy
    FM Henry Li
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Colm Daly
    FM Joe Ryan
    Killian Delaney
    Jonathan O'Connor
    FM Daire McMahon - new entry
    Gerard O'Connell - new entry

John McMorrow
    Peter Carroll
    Anthony Fox

Two weeks until the early discount rates expire - we now have 20 entries and our preview has started here with the top five seeds: https://www.icu.ie/articles/827

IM Sam Collins
    GM Alex Baburin
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn

FM Conor O'Donnell
    FM Conor Murphy
    FM Henry Li
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Colm Daly
    FM Joe Ryan
    Killian Delaney
    Jonathan O'Connor
    FM Daire McMahon
    Gerard O'Connell
    Anthony Fox
    John McMorrow
    Peter Carroll
    Peter Cafolla - new entry
    Alex Byrne - new entry
    Darragh Moran - new entry

2 days until the early discount rates expire - we now have 32 entries and our preview now includes the top ten seeds: https://www.icu.ie/articles/827

IM Sam Collins
    GM Alex Baburin
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn

FM Conor O'Donnell
    FM Conor Murphy
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Colm Daly
    FM Joe Ryan
    FM Henry Li
    Killian Delaney
    Tarun Kanyamarala - new entry
    FM Tom O'Gorman - new entry
    Trisha Kanyamarala - new entry

Jonathan O'Connor
    Paul Wallace - new entry
    Stephen Moran - new entry

FM Daire McMahon
    Gerard O'Connell
    Anthony Fox
    Muhtarim-Ul Haque - new entry
    John McMorrow
    Tim Harding - new entry
    Peter Carroll
    Tim McCarthy - new entry
    Peter Cafolla
    Diana Mirza - new entry
    Alex Byrne
    Mustakim-Ul Haque - new entry
    Jacob Flynn - new entry
    Eamon Keogh - new entry

Darragh Moran

Last update for a while - today is the last day to avail of the early rate for the Irish Championship. There are 37 entries so far:

IM Sam Collins
    GM Alex Baburin
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn

FM Conor Murphy
    FM Conor O'Donnell
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Stephen Brady - new entry
    FM Joe Ryan
    FM Henry Li
    Tarun Kanyamarala
    Killian Delaney
    FM Tom O'Gorman
    FM Colm Daly
    Trisha Kanyamarala
    Stephen Moran
    Paul Wallace
    Jonathan O'Connor
    Gavin Melaugh - new entry
    Shane Melaugh - new entry
    FM Daire McMahon
    Gerard O'Connell
    Muhtarim-Ul Haque
    John McMorrow
    Peter Carroll
    CM Tim Harding
    Anthony Fox
    Tim McCarthy
    Jacob Flynn
    Peter Cafolla
    Diana Mirza
    Brendan Lyons - new entry
    Alex Byrne
    Mustakim-Ul Haque
    Eamon Keogh
    Sean J Murphy - new entry
    Darragh Moran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Now 37: Stephen Brady and Brendan Lyons signed up too.

Will the room used last year be big enough?

Now 37: Stephen Brady and Brendan Lyons signed up too.

Will the room used last year be big enough?
    Stephen and Brendan don't take up that much room.

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Stephen and Brendan don't take up that much room.

Nor do we, and there will be lots of slim teenagers. Seriously, though, last year there were 36 players. I reckon the room could have accommodated one or two boards more (at most) with comfort, especially allowing for the electronic gizmos.

Nor do we, and there will be lots of slim teenagers. Seriously, though, last year there were 36 players. I reckon the room could have accommodated one or two boards more (at most) with comfort, especially allowing for the electronic gizmos.

I think we'll be fine and I don't think the electronics will take up any more room this year than they did last year; although we will be aiming to put all games online. If I remember correctly, we had capacity for 40 last year with that placement of tables (5 tables one side, 5 in the other), with 2 tables just having the one board on them as we only needed 18 boards. I think the layout could be changed to 5 in one row and 6 in the other with comfort which would give us a capacity of 44 if needed.

Looking at the list of un-entered potential players - I think we could get to 44 but more likely we get maybe 7 more entries and have 1-4 pullouts and end up around 40. This time last year we had 29 entries for reference.

I don't think that there will be any problem with space. Great field so far,those Kanyamarala youngsters look like they could claim a few high rated scalps. I will be running my usual tipster competition when the time comes.

38 entries now. Also, have just announced that WIM Fiona Steil-Antoni will commentate for the crucial latter rounds of the event (rounds 5-9):

IM Sam Collins
    GM Alex Baburin
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn

FM Conor Murphy
    FM Conor O'Donnell
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Stephen Brady
    FM Joe Ryan
    FM Henry Li
    Tarun Kanyamarala
    Killian Delaney
    FM Tom O'Gorman
    FM Colm Daly
    Trisha Kanyamarala
    Stephen Moran
    Paul Wallace
    Jonathan O'Connor
    Gavin Melaugh
    Shane Melaugh
    FM Daire McMahon
    Gerard O'Connell
    Kevin Butler - new entry
    Muhtarim-Ul Haque
    John McMorrow
    Peter Carroll
    CM Tim Harding
    Anthony Fox
    Tim McCarthy
    Jacob Flynn
    Peter Cafolla
    Diana Mirza
    Brendan Lyons
    Alex Byrne
    Mustakim-Ul Haque
    Eamon Keogh
    Sean J Murphy
    Darragh Moran

40 entries following the second payment deadline including 14 of the top 20 - entries will close in 3 weeks:

IM Sam Collins
    GM Alex Baburin
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn

FM Conor Murphy
    FM Conor O'Donnell
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Stephen Brady
    FM Joe Ryan
    FM Henry Li
    Tarun Kanyamarala
    Killian Delaney
    FM Tom O'Gorman
    FM Colm Daly
    Trisha Kanyamarala
    Stephen Moran
    Paul Wallace
    Jonathan O'Connor
    Gavin Melaugh
    Shane Melaugh
    David Murray - new entry
    FM Daire McMahon
    Gerard O'Connell
    Kevin McHugh - new entry
    Kevin Butler
    Muhtarim-Ul Haque
    John McMorrow
    Peter Carroll
    CM Tim Harding
    Anthony Fox
    Tim McCarthy
    Jacob Flynn
    Peter Cafolla
    Diana Mirza
    Brendan Lyons
    Alex Byrne
    Mustakim-Ul Haque
    Eamon Keogh
    Sean J Murphy
    Darragh Moran

Entry deadline is Wednesday 24th July which is just 5 days away. We now have 42 entries:

IM Sam Collins
    GM Alex Baburin
    IM Alex Lopez
    IM Mark Quinn

FM Conor Murphy
    FM Conor O'Donnell
    IM David Fitzsimons
    FM Stephen Brady
    FM Joe Ryan
    FM Henry Li
    Tarun Kanyamarala
    Killian Delaney
    FM Tom O'Gorman
    FM Colm Daly
    Trisha Kanyamarala
    Stephen Moran
    Paul Wallace
    Jonathan O'Connor
    Gavin Melaugh
    Shane Melaugh
    David Murray
    FM Daire McMahon
    Gerard O'Connell
    John Kennedy - New Entry
    Kevin McHugh
    Kevin Butler
    Muhtarim-Ul Haque
    John McMorrow
    Peter Carroll
    CM Tim Harding
    Anthony Fox
    Tim McCarthy
    Jacob Flynn
    Peter Cafolla
    Diana Mirza
    Brendan Lyons
    Alex Byrne
    Alice O'Gorman - New entry
    Mustakim-Ul Haque
    Eamon Keogh
    Sean J Murphy
    Darragh Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

God, I'm sick of late entry fees. It's hard enough to take a week off work to play a tournament, but to be charged punative rates because you don't have the freedom to block out a week and a half ages ahead penalises people with jobs, families and lives.

I'm not interested in subsidising the FMs beer money anyway, so nuts to that. I think I'll just go on holiday.

mikhail wrote: »
    God, I'm sick of late entry fees. It's hard enough to take a week off work to play a tournament, but to be charged punative rates because you don't have the freedom to block out a week and a half ages ahead penalises people with jobs, families and lives.

I'm not interested in subsidising the FMs beer money anyway, so nuts to that. I think I'll just go on holiday.

An excellent idea!! Anywhere very remote and with no internet access would be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Please refrain from the personal insults

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

A reduction for early entry is a great idea. The organisers can forecast and budget based on entries well in advance and by getting our strongest players signed up early it makes the tournament more attractive for everyone.

Looks set to be another great tournament with more of our top players playing compared to last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I'd agree with that.

When we ran the Irish Juniors a few years back, 40-50% on entries were in the final week, including 5 or so on the day itself. It makes it really hard for tournament organisers to plan room setup, boards, clocks, etc, if they don't know how many people are playing.

Yes, it's unfortunate if you are by necessity a late entrant, but it's the lesser of two evils I think.

Can we take it that the 42 players listed are all confirmed entrants for the Irish Championship or have there been any withdrawals?

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Can we take it that the 42 players listed are all confirmed entrants for the Irish Championship or have there been any withdrawals?

NO. If you had looked at the ICU website you would have seen that a couple of days ago numbers reduced to 40, McMahon and McMorrow have dropped out.

NO. If you had looked at the ICU website you would have seen that a couple of days ago numbers reduced to 40, McMahon and McMorrow have dropped out.

40 is the number at the moment, pending more dropouts. I've left a few days in case there are - draw will be up in the next day or two. Daire pulled out so I pulled out to even things up. Can focus on retaining my prediction title - the real irish title...

40 is the number at the moment, pending more dropouts. I've left a few days in case there are - draw will be up in the next day or two. Daire pulled out so I pulled out to even things up. Can focus on retaining my prediction title - the real irish title...

How can the draw be done before the August FIDE list is available next Thursday?

Lots of ratings (especially the Glorney players and the participants in the Norm tournament) won't be known until then and consequently the seedings on which your draw is based would be wrong.

Unless the plan is to hold back submitting those tournaments to FIDE until after the deadline? Surely that cannot be right.

As one of the players, I think the July events must be rated before the draw is done.

https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_list.phtml?moder=ev_code&country=IRL

With only a few hours to go to the deadline, none of the Glorney Gilbert tournaments played last week (four international junior team events and an IM norm round-robin) have yet been submitted to FIDE rating.

Is this going to be done in time?
    Or will all the Irish Championship events be seeded according to the July list, i.e., not including significant recent results by many participants in all the various events?

(I see on https://ratings.icu.ie/ that the norm event, but not the others, has been rated by ICU.)

I am glad to see this morning (0940 on 31 July) that all the Glorney Gilbert events have been submitted just in time. (The ones listed but not submitted were cancelled due to lack of interest.)

• Advertisement

The August FIDE ratings (which should be the basis for Championship seedings) are up now with some significant changes due to the tournaments in July; some of the competitors also had results abroad.

http://ratings.fide.com/

I see substantial rating gains by Henry Li, Trisha Kanyamarala and Peter Carroll.

Big falls by Trisha's brother Tarun and Gavin Melaugh (who now should now fall into the lower half along with his brother).

Quite substantial falls by Conor Murphy and Conor O'Donnell should see David Fitzsimons move up to seventh seed from provisional fifth (based on July FIDE ratings).

David Murray and Gerry O'Connell should now be at the foot of the first half instead of the top of the lower half, so the rating changes impact them and the Melaughs most, so far as their first round pairings are concerned.

Advertisement