Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Garden Bird Survey 2018/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I would see buzzards a couple of times a week, and sparrowhawk and kestrel nearly daily, but yesterday I had a peregrine around for most of the day! Certainly a first for my GB survey.

I live beside a mix of bog and Scots Pine plantation so my garden isn't the primary reason it was around., but it was certainly eyeing up the feeders while on the wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm not sure fly overs are to be counted. Most surveys only want birds actually in the garden. I only count Buzzards etc if they alight in the garden itself.
    baaba maal wrote: »
    I would see buzzards a couple of times a week, and sparrowhawk and kestrel nearly daily, but yesterday I had a peregrine around for most of the day! Certainly a first for my GB survey.

I live beside a mix of bog and Scots Pine plantation so my garden isn't the primary reason it was around., but it was certainly eyeing up the feeders while on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Blackbirds singing this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Bsal wrote: »
    Blackbirds singing this evening!

I have the song thrush back in the same spot as last year, singing away in the morning - it's really springlike!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I'm not sure fly overs are to be counted. Most surveys only want birds actually in the garden. I only count Buzzards etc if they alight in the garden itself.

Flyovers do count for raptors.

• Advertisement

Was that stated for this survey, as BTO garden surveys I do don't include them?
    whyulittle wrote: »
    Flyovers do count for raptors.

The last time I did one, it was said raptor's flyovers count as they are considered to be actively out hunting.

https://www.birdwatchireland.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=e7%2foWHiLQJw%3d&tabid=121
    Birds of prey seen hunting in or over your garden should
    be counted (for example, a hovering Kestrel)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Just for clarification - the term used for the Irish Garden Bird Survey is birds "using the garden" - which is obviously taken to include finches and thrushes etc feeding and in the trees in a garden etc, but worded to exclude stuff like a flock of Whooper Swans that might fly over the garden but have no intention of landing in it.

Raptors obviously present a bit of a grey area, so its up to the observer to some extent - if you feel the raptor was eyeing up your garden in search of a meal then include it, but if you feel it was just a genuine fly over as the bird intentionally flies elsewhere then don't include it.

For what its worth, when it comes to raptors over my own garden, if they're over the garden for a minute or so then I tend to include them.

Was that stated for this survey, as BTO garden surveys I do don't include them?

From the form:

"Birds of prey seen hunting in or over your garden should be counted (for example, a hovering Kestrel)."

• Advertisement

How do roasts count in the survey - just have greater than 50 pied wagtails gather on the telephone wire which stretches across the front garden. Saw this in autumn too, are they migrating birds? Lovely to see.

Pretzill wrote: »
    How do roasts count in the survey - just have greater than 50 pied wagtails gather on the telephone wire which stretches across the front garden. Saw this in autumn too, are they migrating birds? Lovely to see.

Are they across the garden and using the garden? It's a record of birds using the garden, so I'd judge it based on their activity. I've had 60+ Long tailed Tits that were counted because they were using the planting in the garden but I don't count the dozens of swallows that perch on the phone line running along the road at the front of the garden. I'd say it's subjective and depends on interpretation of 'using the garden.
    Others may feel otherwise.

Are they across the garden and using the garden? It's a record of birds using the garden, so I'd judge it based on their activity. I've had 60+ Long tailed Tits that were counted because they were using the planting in the garden but I don't count the dozens of swallows that perch on the phone line running along the road at the front of the garden. I'd say it's subjective and depends on interpretation of 'using the garden.
    Others may feel otherwise.

Thanks

According to what I've read about them they congregate together for food in the winter - I get about 4 pied and sometimes up to 4 grey hanging around beneath the feeders normally - but these flocks seem to come in to roost in the evening across the wires and then over to the trees also on the property. So I guess in theory they are using the garden (it's a big garden).

It's funny how I can see the shifts now coming further along the survey - we get lots of wagtail in the late summer but we had very few up until now - I also had fieldfare last week - and I'm still hopeful on seeing a few greenfinch before the count is over.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sorry for being off topic - is a crowd of birds on a phone or electricity wire called a roast?

sorry for being off topic - is a crowd of birds on a phone or electricity wire called a roast?

A roost is where birds rest at night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

This is a tricky one! They are obviously very much using your garden, but given the type of analyses done on the GBS dataset each year, and the plans ahead for further analysis, a count of 50 Pied Wagtails will look very strange.

The best thing to do is to record the 50 birds, but ideally include a note or email explaining that these were 50 roosting birds, and that you normally get X amount feeding etc during the day!

:o roost - not roast (my autocorrect ;) phone wires should be safe but yeah I see the irony :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

A roost is where birds rest at night.

...and a roast is when you eat a bird on sunday ;)

The redpoll have returned up here - that's 25 different types of bird so far this count. Still hoping for the Greenfinch to make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Just saw my first blackbird this year ( f) collecting nesting material in my back garden- spring is on the way

• Advertisement

Due entirely to the fact that I live beside a bit of bog I was lucky enough to raise a snipe from my garden on Tuesday night! I am in the habit of taking a walk at night around the garden (on an acre and I leave a big part of the lawn to it's own devices)- so one was roosting in the tussocks of grass. Delighted- a very poor year for me in terms of numbers (just too mild for most birds to use the feeders?), but seeing both a snipe and previously a peregrine has made it an interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

I recorded 27 different species over the survey period, standout visitor for me was a male Blackcap this year.

Bsal wrote: »
    I recorded 27 different species over the survey period, standout visitor for me was a male Blackcap this year.

I got one less at 26 - sadly haven't seen a Greenfinch yet (was hoping they'd arrive last week :( - no blackcaps but got a flurry of excitement at the brambling, redpoll and bullfinch because they don't come often.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lo_La

What do you you recommend to put on the ground for Robins? I have seen two in the garden but they always feed off the ground, i put out some of the seed and peanuts, the peanuts were eaten but the seed was left and i think it was other birds eating the peanuts. Put out an apple cut in half and it wasn't touched...

Lo_La wrote: »
    What do you you recommend to put on the ground for Robins? I have seen two in the garden but they always feed off the ground, i put out some of the seed and peanuts, the peanuts were eaten but the seed was left and i think it was other birds eating the peanuts. Put out an apple cut in half and it wasn't touched...

Mealworms should work!

I have them taking loose seed on the bird table and on the ground throughout the day.

They like loose seed mix - I also put out some oat flakes (with a little fat) in the morning which the robins and chaffinches love but also I notice the robins really like the fat balls - and they do go to those feeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

A bramling today! And some long tailed tits last couple of weeks. 23 species in total.

Very enjoyable filling in the survey. Got a few birds mixed up at the start redwing and linnet but think I'm up to speed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nearly certain i saw a sisken today...how rare are they?

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    nearly certain i saw a sisken today...how rare are they?

They are actually in the top 20 of our garden birds. Common and widespread throughout the country year round, with an influx on the east coast in Winter.

Advertisement