Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female only professorships

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Steve456

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    Regarding second level teaching, I seem to recall reading in Freakonomics (can't remember of first or second book) that the average IQ of female teachers has been falling over several decades. The reason being is that in the past that most intelligent women went into teaching because there were few other opportunities. Today, however, as there are more opportunities for those comparably intelligent women, the IQ naturally declines.

I expect Freakonomics was referring to:

'Do Alternative Opportunities Matter? The Role of Female Labor Markets in the Decline of Teacher Quality' by Marigee P Bacolod, The Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol. 89, No. 4 (Nov, 2007), pp. 737-751

Abstract: This paper explores the impact of the expansion in professional opportunities that American women faced on teacher supply and teacher quality. Using standardized test scores, undergraduate institution selectivity, and positive assortative mating characteristics as measures of quality, evidence of a marked decline in the quality of young women going into teaching is documented. In contrast, the quality of young women becoming professionals increased. The more teachers are paid relative to professionals, the more likely educated women and blacks are to choose to teach. When wage opportunities in teaching become relatively less attractive, the quality of teachers and prospective teachers declines. These effects of relative earnings are economically significant.

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    Regarding this initiative, it is clearly unlawful, and I don't believe there is a glass ceiling in academia.

The Attorney-General has a different opinion as to legality, it seems. I expect that some tribunal somewhere will be asked to decide between your view and his relatively soon.

Advertisement