Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Devil May Cry 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So glad this is getting great reviews and such a positive reception. I was all-in anyway, but it really seems like they've done it justice. Seeing and learning more about V's gameplay has me really hyped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

This game has the same recommended PC specs as Resident Evil 2? That can't be right. Watched 2mins of game play and there was tonnes of particle effects and other stuff flashing about on screen.

This game has the same recommended PC specs as Resident Evil 2? That can't be right. Watched 2mins of game play and there was tonnes of particle effects and other stuff flashing about on screen.

It's the same RE engine I believe. It's incredibly stable and looks amazing.

RE7, RE2 Remake all look fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Capcom engines are made of magic.

See also MT Framework 2.x which was originally used in 2010 on Lost Planet 2, and iterated up until 2018 for Monster Hunter World.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Capcom engines are made of magic.

See also MT Framework 2.x which was originally used in 2010 on Lost Planet 2, and iterated up until 2018 for Monster Hunter World.

I wish they would do something with the monster hunter world engine to bring visuals up to PC standards,incredible game probably my favourite of the last 5 years or so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Oh God. I want to buy it now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

There's a Michael Jackson reference in game, how long till someone complains?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Game released in about an hour, expected this thread to be kicking. Its 35 euro on CDkeys right now. I spent like 35 euro the other day on a meal for 3 in a restaurant. Das cheap mang

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

The AI of V's pets sucks... have yourself targeting something, and the cat frequently attacking elsewhere.

48.99 in Argos! Great price!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Game released in about an hour, expected this thread to be kicking. Its 35 euro on CDkeys right now. I spent like 35 euro the other day on a meal for 3 in a restaurant. Das cheap mang

Thanks for this. Just got it for less than on Steam.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got this as a free reward with my new GPU, looking forward to some good old fashioned stylish CUHRAZY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The malware has been removed in 0 days: https://crackwatch.com/game/devil-may-cry-5

BeerWolf wrote: »
    The AI of V's pets sucks... have yourself targeting something, and the cat frequently attacking elsewhere.

100% how cats actually work tbf

Game is incredible! Like, constantly a badass!

Finished the campaign, enjoyable story. The multiplayer aspect is incredibly unnoticeable since you're never beside each other. At first I thought those names were the name of the song currently playing! :p

Over halfway through. It's brilliant. It's genuinely old school DMC. Neros devil breakers work far better than I thought they would. It's a great system. The vital/devil stars aren't missed, and I've picked up plenty of gold orbs (though haven't needed to use any yet).

V's gameplay is fun and complex, though I have to admit it's a bit button-bashy. It's hard to be able to pull off proper directional attacks with both square and triangle when the animals are facing a different way than you. But when it works, it's awesome and easy to get SSS rank with.

Penn wrote: »
    Over halfway through. It's brilliant. It's genuinely old school DMC. Neros devil breakers work far better than I thought they would. It's a great system. The vital/devil stars aren't missed, and I've picked up plenty of gold orbs (though haven't needed to use any yet).

V's gameplay is fun and complex, though I have to admit it's a bit button-bashy. It's hard to be able to pull off proper directional attacks with both square and triangle when the animals are facing a different way than you. But when it works, it's awesome and easy to get SSS rank with.

V is piss easy to get SSS's on from just mashing them buttons. Nightmare just wrecks everything with that Explosive laser beam of his (depletion rate upgrade is a must). :p

His secret mission of not touching the ground was beyond frustrating though. Speaking of which, there are secret areas that can only be accessed from summoning Nightmare, where he makes an explosive entrance through the wall. :D

• Advertisement

Finished it last night. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. It was everything I wanted from it and more. Not completely perfect, would have liked some more variety in mission locations and there were almost no puzzles. But on the whole... very very happy. I know they've only talked about Bloody Palace coming as DLC, but I really hope there's more than that coming. At the very least, the reception and projected sales for this will hopefully mean a DMC6.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At first I was a bit underwhelmed, but it livens up with V - perhaps the most tediously emo character the series has yet seen, but fascinating shift in fighting style which thankfully makes this feel like something properly new. I'm still a Bayonetta man, but this is a sharply designed game with plenty of nuances and variations in the combat to keep things interesting.

My main complaint is that the levels feel stuck in the PS2 era. That the rest of the game is very PS2-esque is a good thing, but the level design is restrictive and messy. Lots of unreachable ledges and invisible barriers where it looks like there could be something. Exploration has always been a distance second, third, fourth priority to the fighting in this series, but this is underwhelming even within those expectations.

On my second playthrough now, still on Devil Hunter Mode as I want to get as many upgrades as I can before trying the next hardest mode. The sections where there's another player controlling another character are a reasonably nice addition, but for the most part is pointless. I would have preferred them to be AI controlled or simply not there at all. The best bit is getting gold orbs for being rated stylish (got 7 yesterday), but still it just feels unnecessary. Though could be a good precursor to a multiplayer Bloody Palace, which could be a better use of it.

Getting better as V too. He takes some getting used to whether button-bashing or trying to pull off certain moves, but it's definitely an interesting system they've used for him, and when you do get into a rhythm he's a lot of fun to play as. Also experimenting with different Devil Breakers for Nero, rather than relying on the Rawhide and Punch Line ones.

My main complaint is that the levels feel stuck in the PS2 era. That the rest of the game is very PS2-esque is a good thing, but the level design is restrictive and messy. Lots of unreachable ledges and invisible barriers where it looks like there could be something. Exploration has always been a distance second, third, fourth priority to the fighting in this series, but this is underwhelming even within those expectations.

Yeah I can't disagree with that. The invisible barriers are disappointing. Figured there might be something hidden in an area when playing as V, over a jump you shouldn't really be able to make. Managed to cheese the jump using his cane attack to jump forward, then double-jumping and gliding. Would have easily landed on the ledge but hit an invisible wall. Sucks when that happens. The lack of locked doors, backtracking and the invisible walls throughout really makes it feel far more linear than previous games.

Is Dante a playable character? I don't want to google as I fear might spoil some of the story.
    Can somebody pop it into spoiler tags. Thanks alot.

Is Dante a playable character? I don't want to google as I fear might spoil some of the story.
    Can somebody pop it into spoiler tags. Thanks alot.
    Oh hell to the yes! Can't remember the exact mission number but somewhere around the mid-point of the game.

Thanks dude!

Can anyone explain the parrying to me (with Nero)?

Got it a few times but I don't remember how.

Also game crashed on me once already :(

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the parrying to me (with Nero)?

Got it a few times but I don't remember how.

Also game crashed on me once already :(

It's just timing. Striking when they strike.

• Advertisement

Would love to get some time to play the damn game. This evening for a n hour or two hopefully. I've as far as the first V level.
    Radically different to Nero. I find I'm kind of button mashing a bit but maybe because I haven't fully grasped his style.

Any tips?

Advertisement