Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

what the hell have Celtic FC got to do with rugby??????????????

i protest strongly at this decision, half their supporters are sectarian bigots..do we really want the sport of rugby associated with them?

of all the rugby stadia in the UK surely they could chosen somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

frosty123 wrote: »

i protest strongly at this decision, half their supporters are sectarian bigots..do we really want the sport of rugby associated with them?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

what the hell have Athletico Bilbao or Newcastle FC got to do with rugby??????????????

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

3/10
    Try Harder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

what the hell have Athletico Bilbao or Newcastle FC got to do with rugby??????????????

:pac:

Well some of Shearer's tackles were probably more suited to rugby..! ☺️

• Advertisement

why didn't they chose Murrayfield ??

why didn't they chose Murrayfield ??

Reasons.

Duh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Stadiums bid for these events.

This is most likely the most economically advantageous bid, in other words the one that is giving the most cash to the league. They may have been offered more in Ireland but decided that it is time to move it.

Unless there is a good reason to go to a lower bidder why would you. Not liking Celtic's fans is not a good commercial reason nor indeed a good reason at all.

On a separate note, Celtic Park is a vastly superior stadium to Murrayfield and Glasgow has never hosted a final before, despite being a major team in the competition.

Stadiums bid for these events.

This is most likely the most economically advantageous bid, in other words the one that is giving the most cash to the league. They may have been offered more in Ireland but decided that it is time to move it.

Unless there is a good reason to go to a lower bidder why would you. Not liking Celtic's fans is not a good commercial reason nor indeed a good reason at all.

On a separate note, Celtic Park has a larger capacity, is a vastly superior stadium to Murrayfield and Glasgow has never hosted a final before, despite being a major team in the competition.

Murrayfield closer to 70 while Celtic Park is 60 I thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Murrayfield is class. Won't have a bad word said about it.

There's a tile shop outside it where they serve pints on match days. Collison's Ceramics. What more do you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Murrayfield closer to 70 while Celtic Park is 60 I thought?

You are correct. Still stand by the better venue though.

Not liking Celtic's fans is not a good commercial reason nor indeed a good reason at all.

well its a good enough reason for me, i don't want a cent of my money going to them

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

well its a good enough reason for me, i don't want a cent of my money going to them

Incredibly, you have the choice to not attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

So you're only argument is you don't like the fans/club?

If you want to have a rant about people you don't like then maybe keep it to After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Maybe Ibrox soon? That'll piss off those who like Celtic and make the rangers fans happy!
    I'd reckon Rome would be a good destination for the final. Or even S.A.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

They wasted loads of space at the bottom. Easily room for 12 more sponsors there

https://twitter.com/DFQClothing/status/1029074026877136897?s=19

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    They wasted loads of space at the bottom. Easily room for 12 more sponsors there

https://twitter.com/DFQClothing/status/1029074026877136897?s=19

Looks like something a child would come up with.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Eod100 wrote: »

12 different sponsors visable in the picture, probably another 3-4 on the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Eod100 wrote: »

Ah thats a bit unfair on Venjur, he tries his hardest. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Toyota Free State Cheetahs vs Vodacom Blue Bulls
    17 August 2018. Kick-off: 19:00
    Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein

15 Malcom Jaer
    14 Rabz Maxwane
    13 Benhard Janse van Rensburg
    12 Nico Lee
    11 William Small-Smith
    10 Tian Schoeman
    9 Rudy Paige
    8 Niell Jordaan
    7 Oupa Mohoje
    6 Junior Pokomela
    5 JP du Preez
    4 Justin Basson
    3 Luan de Bruin
    2 Joseph Dweba
    1 Ox Nche

16 Jacques du Toit
    17 Erich de Jager
    18 Günther Janse van Vuuren
    19 Dennis Visser
    20 Gerhard Olivier
    21 Shaun Venter
    22 Louis Fouche

The Cheetahs team for their Currie Cup game. I assume this will be close to their Pro14 side.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,986 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

some new faces in there.

if they can keep Rudy Paige fit and interested, he has the skill set to be a star for the season

JP du Preez taking over from our Dev as the tallest player in pro 14 rugby??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

sydthebeat wrote: »
    some new faces in there.

if they can keep Rudy Paige fit and interested, he has the skill set to be a star for the season

JP du Preez taking over from our Dev as the tallest player in pro 14 rugby??

I only recognise 3 or 4 players from last year. Hopefully they will build on last year. If they regress to the Kings type of form the league will look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Kings have a shirt sponsor on 3 year deal (izuzu)

Positive stuff on the face of it

https://twitter.com/DjRossouw87/status/1031520804192886785?s=19

Seems like that could be a huge turning point for them. Great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It just occurred to me that brexit may pose some problems for the league. Thinking of the issues with visas that Leinster had last season when travelling to SA. There are a fair few fixtures not long after B-day that could potentially fall foul of a lack of preparedness by the UK authorities. And that's just for the players, the fans will be another issue entirely. Any thoughts?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that brexit may pose some problems for the league. Thinking of the issues with visas that Leinster had last season when travelling to SA. There are a fair few fixtures not long after B-day that could potentially fall foul of a lack of preparedness by the UK authorities. And that's just for the players, the fans will be another issue entirely. Any thoughts?

There's quite a few sports teams that will affect across many sports. I'd imagine organisations like UEFA will be all over that.

Worst case scenario would be postponements.

Yeah I think deadline is 29th March 2019 but could well be pushed back. With Pro14 final in Glasgow and Cc final in Newcastle could be tricky. Along with CC qfs and semis, Pro14 league games and knockout games. Dunno how it will pan out!

There's quite a few sports teams that will affect across many sports. I'd imagine organisations like UEFA will be all over that.

Worst case scenario would be postponements.
    Yeah. Just confined it to the Pro 14 for this thread, but it could also affect the ECC as well. Not sure what any sports organisation can do about it since we haven't a clue what's going to happen. Even at the most basic level of the end of the open skies agreement.

Yeah. Just confined it to the Pro 14 for this thread, but it could also affect the ECC as well. Not sure what any sports organisation can do about it since we haven't a clue what's going to happen. Even at the most basic level of the end of the open skies agreement.

Well I mean open skies agreement only affects games which require flights.

Ulster will be going to Glasgow, they can make that trip by bus if disaster strikes and there's no agreement for flights. Same with Munster to Cardiff.

Leinster and Connacht both playing Italian teams so they dodge that bullet.

It is interesting to note that two Irish teams are playing within the EU and the two other teams are playing a closest possible neighbour. Probably the best way to dodge the problem without putting on derbies that weekend!

But if there's still no flights by 5th/6th April then rugby will be way, way, way down the list of priorities!

• Advertisement

Well I mean open skies agreement only affects games which require flights.

Ulster will be going to Glasgow, they can make that trip by bus if disaster strikes and there's no agreement for flights. Same with Munster to Cardiff.

Leinster and Connacht both playing Italian teams so they dodge that bullet.

It is interesting to note that two Irish teams are playing within the EU and the two other teams are playing a closest possible neighbour. Probably the best way to dodge the problem without putting on derbies that weekend!

But if there's still no flights by 5th/6th April then rugby will be way, way, way down the list of priorities!
    Yeah. THe only match that may be affected that weekend is Cardiff away to Munster. the following weekend is a bit more interesting. Cardiff could probably 'stay over' to play Connacht ;), but Glasgow have to travel to Leinster and Zebre have to travel to Scarlets.

But yes, this would be very much the bottom of the potential pile of manure that would need to be shifted if things go pear shaped.

Advertisement