Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018-2019 Champions Cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sarseholes are absolutely laughing. That's got to be the easiest pool since the inception of the Champions Cup with 20 teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭roverjoyce

Why were Ulster not allowed in another Irish teams pool
    That has to be an unfair advantage to them not being allowed in 2 out of 5 groups

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Good Draw for Munster SUAF

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

roverjoyce wrote: »
    That has to be an unfair advantage to them not being allowed in 2 out of 5 groups

No Pro14 countries can have two teams in the same pool.

As for your second point, I'm lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Tough pool for Leinster without being insanely difficult. Munsters fortunes will depend on their game away to Castres I feel. Exeter could well beat them home and away based on their performances against us this season. Saracens can go **** themselves. That's a stupidly handy pool. Poor Ulster.

Prediction time....

Leinster
    Exeter
    Saracens
    Racing
    Toulon
    Montpellier
    Munster
    Scarlets

...all to make the QFs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

When do get an idea of when the fixtures will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Leinster's group is decent for a few reasons, solid opposition but not all on top form, they will all bring big gates though so from a revenue point of view its better than a Lyon or Cardiff.

Im delighted with Toulouse, an away trip there has always been on my bucket list so time to get organised!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So, would Leinster/Wasps be the back to back?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

vienne86 wrote: »

Itd probably suit both clubs to do it IMO, cant see it being Bath with the small capacity at the Rec

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

acer911 wrote: »
    When do get an idea of when the fixtures will be?

https://twitter.com/ChampionsCup/status/1009389422461308928

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I wouldn't be surprised if the back to back game was Toulouse. It would be as attractive if not more so for Leinster fans and I'd imagine the domestic back to back matches would be tempting for Bath and Wasps, logistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

No reason why Munster can't top that pool, good draw with some good games to come

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think the opposite. Munster will be hard pressed to qualify from that group. Exeter's grinding game is one of the very best. Leinster had the forwards to win out in the end but they were the hardest side we had to play this season besides Racing. I'm not convinced Munster have the pack to take it to Exeter.

Depends on how Castres want to play this I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Last year Leinster won every game in a group containing Exeter, Montpellier and Glasgow.
    Compare that to Wasps, Toulouse and Bath and each team is a step down in respective quality.
    Saracens will be top two and would be very confident Leinster will join them there for a possible home semi final.

A lot of Munster fans seriously underestimating Exeter. They are a quality outfit and Munster will be doing very well to have parity in the two games. Vital to get Castres away later in the pool draw when they should be out of it.

Clegg wrote: »
    I think the opposite. Munster will be hard pressed to qualify from that group. Exeter's grinding game is one of the very best. Leinster had the forwards to win out in the end but they were the hardest side we had to play this season besides Racing. I'm not convinced Munster have the pack to take it to Exeter.

Depends on how Castres want to play this I suppose.

No reason to believe that's the case tbh, we will have players back from injury, new additions to the squad we should be rubbing our hands with glee at that group, more likely the English side will implode again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

daddy pig wrote: »
    A lot of Munster fans seriously underestimating Exeter. They are a quality outfit and Munster will be doing very well to have parity in the two games. Vital to get Castres away later in the pool draw when they should be out of it.

I'd agree with this. That's an Exeter team that won home and away v Montpellier, and really should have won in the Aviva, if we're honest that pass from Leavy to McGrath is a smidgeon forward and they had dominated the game.

Can't help but read pool 5 as:

Montpellier
    Newcastle
    Edinburgh
    Ha! Fcuk you!

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd agree with this. That's an Exeter team that won home and away v Montpellier, and really should have won in the Aviva, if we're honest that pass from Leavy to McGrath is a smidgeon forward and they had dominated the game.

I thought that turnaround was a performance that heralded the coming silverware. The belief the pack had after that was partly on display during those 41 phases in Paris. It was a stunning win against a top team, I had great seats that day and it was a massive game of rugby with a significant and vocal away support.

Will be a handful for Munster, I think if Munster can win at home against Exeter they should be in good shape for the pool. They'll win all their other home fixtures and should win away against Gloucester and potentially Castres depending on their domestic form and pool position.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No reason to believe that's the case tbh, we will have players back from injury, new additions to the squad we should be rubbing our hands with glee at that group, more likely the English side will implode again.

I'm just not sure about Munster's forwards. They've a lot of good players in the pack but I've seen them wilt too many time when the pressure was put on. Exeter will pound away incessantly and seize upon any perceived weakness. I don't know anything about Castres, but since they're French champions I assume they've more than.a decent pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Buer wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the back to back game was Toulouse. It would be as attractive if not more so for Leinster fans and I'd imagine the domestic back to back matches would be tempting for Bath and Wasps, logistically.

I can see BT pushing hard for the back to back to be Leinster/Wasps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Both Exeter and Castres can overpower Munster so it will be interesting to see what JVG can do to combat that. Caldron of fire for Carbery.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Both Exeter and Castres can overpower Munster so it will be interesting to see what JVG can do to combat that. Caldron of fire for Carbery.

I think the team is going to have to navigate things this season, Van Graan is a Springbok sleeper agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can see BT pushing hard for the back to back to be Leinster/Wasps.

Potentially but I wouldn't be surprised to see Munster vs Exeter being their preference. Both fixtures would draw major interest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Buer wrote: »
    Potentially but I wouldn't be surprised to see Munster vs Exeter being their preference. Both fixtures would draw major interest.

BT have it all this year, so both could be double headers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Really with the Champions Cup you don't see any "easy" groups anymore.

No real group of death but a lot of decent match up's......

From my point of view the winners from groups

Pool 1: Leinster
    Pool 2: Exeter Chiefs
    Pool 3: Saracens
    Pool 4: Racing 92
    Pool 5: Montpellier

Other qualifiers
    Scarlets, Toulon, Munster

I feel Munster fans are underestimating Exeter. Remember they beat Montpellier away when Montpellier still had interest in the competition. They played very well against Leinster in the Aviva.

It will depend on when they get Castres of course as they typically give up the ghost after Christmas.

Unless something drastic happens to Scarlets and Racing I can't see Ulster doing anything, will be good experience for some of the younger guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Everyone keeps saying "Munster fans are underestimating Exeter" but I've yet to see a single Munster fan saying it will be easy? Can someone point them out? I would fancy our chances at Thomond but playing away might be a step too far. I don't know, it's impossible to predict any of this really. Munster will be a different team this season with new signings and a full preseason with JvG.

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Everyone keeps saying "Munster fans are underestimating Exeter" but I've yet to see a single Munster fan saying it will be easy?
    LOL11!!! Exeter sux, Lunster had an ez group last season, fresh for knock outs. I repeat - Exeter = EZ

EZ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

roverjoyce wrote: »

Because the other two Irish teams are better than all the other teams?

Only people saying Munster are underestimating Exeter are Leinster fans, how queer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Synode wrote: »
    Heineken Cup

453856.JPG

Leinster
    Exeter
    Saracens
    Racing
    Montpellier
    Glasgow
    Wasps
    Castres / Scarlets

Unless Munster get lucky on scheduling they aren’t getting out of that pool.

Advertisement