Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing Motorbikes from UK

• 17-08-2017 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi! could anyone direct me to a complete guide on buying a motorbike from UK and also ins and outs having it imported e.g. costs, vrt, necessary documentations. There are some guides that are outdated and are from 2006 , also includes invalid form links etc.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Hi! could anyone direct me to a complete guide on buying a motorbike from UK and also ins and outs having it imported e.g. costs, vrt, necessary documentations. There are some guides that are outdated and are from 2006 , also includes invalid form links etc.

Thank you
    You need
    The correct paperwork downloaded from the revenue vrt section online.
    Bill of sale.
    Ferry/transportation ticket/receipt.
    Complete V5.
    And an appointment for the vrt centre
    Pretty sure that's it, the missus imported a car 2 months ago and it was pretty straightforward

Edited complete v5 in case the vrt bloke is having a bad day when u vrt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The VRT for bikes is €2 for the first 350cc and €1 per cc after, 10% discount per year.

Don't buy with less than 6k km or 6 months old as the bike is considered new and you'll be liable for VAT, you can reclaim it from the UK but it's a hassle you don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

cadete wrote: »
    You need
    The correct paperwork downloaded from the revenue vrt section online.
    Bill of sale.
    Ferry/transportation ticket/receipt.
    Complete V5 minus the export section which the seller keeps.
    And an appointment for the vrt centre
    Pretty sure that's it, the missus imported a car 2 months ago and it was pretty straightforward

Not true.
    Export section is for the UK owner if he is exporting the vehicle himself.
    Irish buyer should bring the whole V5 home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭Goose81

blade1 wrote: »
    Not true.
    Export section is for the UK owner if he is exporting the vehicle himself.
    Irish buyer should bring the whole V5 home with them.

I know the two I've been involved with buying from dealers both wanted the export section and wouldnt give it with the the v5. It doesn't really matter anyway though.

Goose81 wrote: »
    I know the two I've been involved with buying from dealers both wanted the export section and wouldnt give it with the the v5. It doesn't really matter anyway though.
    They should have given it as it's no use to them.
    Perhaps in future point them to the facts on the DVLA site.
    Might not matter most of the time but all it takes is one asshole or someone having a bad day when u go to vrt it and you could be given a bit of a headache about it.

I'm sure the op would rather have the facts other than taking chances when there's no need to.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    They should have given it as it's no use to them.
    Perhaps in future point them to the facts on the DVLA site.
    Might not matter most of the time but all it takes is one asshole or someone having a bad day when u go to vrt it and you could be given a bit of a headache about it.

I'm sure the op would rather have the facts other than taking chances when there's no need to.

Nah it wont, all they want is the main document, they dont care about the export part at all. If the seller want to keep it let them make hay, once the vrt crowd have the main doc thats all they need. All they want is the cc of the bike and make/model and possibly the emissions which are all contained in the main form.

Im not trying to start a row with you but thats the way it is .The export part of the form is of no use to anyone VRTing a bike and if the seller wants to keep it let them. Same applies to cars for anyone wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Does anyone know when they check the mileage - is it at presentation to NCT/VRT centre, or is there any checking/recording if you're stopped off the ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

thos wrote: »
    Does anyone know when they check the mileage - is it at presentation to NCT/VRT centre, or is there any checking/recording if you're stopped off the ferry?

VRT inspection. The only checks off the ferry would be a random customs inspection for illegal imports and even that's rare for bikes. If worried about mileage that the scenic route home in the UK

As del said they check at the center, for my mates last bike we imported the guy didn't give a ****. even asked us if we wanted him to write down a different millage so we wouldn't have to pay tax.

However a lad on biker.ie just got stung for the wrong millage and had to pay tax so beware of the millage going in if its liable for tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They certainly do in Galway at any rate.

I know someone who imported an enduro bike that had a speedo but no odo, and they refused to register it. Made no odds that had a uk reg : no proof of mileage and they refused.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've been stung by the mileage thing when they first started doing it at the nct centre,.

Bike wasn't worth it, to pay the 21% on the NEW price. Traded it in, to a dealer in the north.

Not worth the risk turning up with the mileage lower than what's required.

If it's close when you buy it, take it the long way home to put enough miles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Del2005 wrote: »
    VRT inspection. The only checks off the ferry would be a random customs inspection for illegal imports and even that's rare for bikes. If worried about mileage that the scenic route home in the UK
    Nobody at the ferry port cares about what you are driving unless it contains drugs, refugees or unvaccinated pets.

In my experience, the NCT people will take the evidence you supply uncritically and will process your VRT on that basis. Even if you write some of it out there and then.
    Simply buy your bike, enjoy riding it home and get it registered within six months to avoid problems with insurance.
    Great time to buy now with the low sterling so go for it...

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Nobody at the ferry port cares about what you are driving unless it contains drugs, refugees or unvaccinated pets.

In my experience, the NCT people will take the evidence you supply uncritically and will process your VRT on that basis. Even if you write some of it out there and then.
    Simply buy your bike, enjoy riding it home and get it registered within six months to avoid problems with insurance.
    Great time to buy now with the low sterling so go for it...

Within 6 months ?.....certainly not. 1 month more like.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

galwaytt wrote: »
    Within 6 months ?.....certainly not. 1 month more like.

I got from April until October out of Quinn direct several years ago before they pulled the plug but I'm sure you are right and things have tightened up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You have 7 days to notify revenue that you have imported it, and 30 days to have the inspection done.
    If you don't have the inspection done within 30 days of arrival you have to pay 1% of the VRT price per day added on to the VRT DAMHIK.
    Its a lot easier to just book and have the inspection ASAP and pay the VRT and rise around in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Namaste1

Hi, does anyone know of a company that will do all this for me as I'm way to busy/lazy and important to do it myself? I'd pay a company to go get the bike I find in the UK, check it over then bring it back and register it for me so I don't have to worry about all the paperwork etc, surely someone must offer this service these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Somebody will bring the bike yes. But as far as VRT etc, that has to be done in person. Lazy or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I'd say if you rang a few dealers told them what you were looking for, they'd source it for you and do all the necessary bits. They're already doing this themselves anyway. The likes of CC's Unlimited have plenty of stock from NI, so sourcing something specific shouldn't make much difference.

Doyles in Athlone, JP motorcycles in Dublin do this

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 5 XanderTheGreat

Hi guys, has anyone used 'Bike Transport UK & Ireland - Gerard O'Brien - GOB Transport Limited' guys before to get the bike home from the UK?

They look great and good comms over email but always a concern as to whats stopping them picking up my new bike and disappearing or is that a bit over suspicious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

What are good sites to look at bikes in the uk

jap gt wrote: »
    What are good sites to look at bikes in the uk

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

What is the general cost involved with importing a bike using a courier? I'm looking about bringing one in during the summer, the money i would spend here vs bringing one in from the uk is very different, what i would pay for a 08 here would get me an 11/12 in the UK even after VRT. Again Brexit will have an impact on it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Hi guys, has anyone used 'Bike Transport UK & Ireland - Gerard O'Brien - GOB Transport Limited' guys before to get the bike home from the UK?

They look great and good comms over email but always a concern as to whats stopping them picking up my new bike and disappearing or is that a bit over suspicious?

I priced using them before I got another guy to collect mine who was cheaper and did a great job on two bikes for me now. I can pass on his details by pm if you want to contact him for a quote

What is the general cost involved with importing a bike using a courier? I'm looking about bringing one in during the summer, the money i would spend here vs bringing one in from the uk is very different, what i would pay for a 08 here would get me an 11/12 in the UK even after VRT. Again Brexit will have an impact on it all.

Depends on where the bike is. I had one picked up from Keighley and it cost me €300 to get it collected and delivered to Dublin. I got another one collected from Scotland and it was €450. Depends on the mileage and time involved for the courier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Depends on where the bike is. I had one picked up from Keighley and it cost me €300 to get it collected and delivered to Dublin. I got another one collected from Scotland and it was €450. Depends on the mileage and time involved for the courier.

That seems reasonable. I'm from Dublin but living in Cork, trying to see what would be the price difference between the 2. Wonder would there be much of a difference if it were dropped to Cork. I've emailed 2 UK dealers to see if they can recommend anybody, is the link further back this page a trusted courier?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 XanderTheGreat

Yes please PM me their details Dublinstiofán. GOB quoted me €550 to pick up from Blackpool and then deliver to Kerry which I thought was very reasonable and they sound on the ball, quick to get back with emails etc. Just wondering what the risks are using someone unknown to me as it's a 2018 bike so it's a few quid.

That seems reasonable. I'm from Dublin but living in Cork, trying to see what would be the price difference between the 2. Wonder would there be much of a difference if it were dropped to Cork. I've emailed 2 UK dealers to see if they can recommend anybody, is the link further back this page a trusted courier?

Be more expensive to get it into Cork I’d say. Guy is very flexible though he might take it to Dublin for you and meet you here and you can ride it down home yourself?

Guy I dealt with is called Mark and his company is MB Transport. He has a Facebook page under MB Transport he’s based in Bangor. Did a great job for me and best price I could get by a mile.

Yes please PM me their details Dublinstiofán. GOB quoted me €550 to pick up from Blackpool and then deliver to Kerry which I thought was very reasonable and they sound on the ball, quick to get back with emails etc. Just wondering what the risks are using someone unknown to me as it's a 2018 bike so it's a few quid.

I didn’t use them so I can’t say but I got a 2017 bike through that guy Mark and he brought a KTM over for my buddy just before Christmas too and both times it all went without a hitch. I’ll pm marks number to you and you can get a quote from him if you wish. The more quotes the better.

• Advertisement

I had a new bike collected in London, met him in Dublin, cost me €300. Had a bike brought from Southampton a couple of years ago and was nearer €350 and took longer; they're not in that area as often, to collect.

Once they have to go away from Dublin costs go up, but if you work it out, it's still cheaper than driving up/diesel/tolls etc: if they'd go to Cork I think I'd pay them the extra tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement