Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad?

• 19-05-2017 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭

I'm in my late 30's. Nearly permanent in the public sector (not very highly paid and heavy workload).

I am single, no children, have my own car, houseshare with an owner occupier and am all the while applying for promotions so not exactly sitting on my laurels as far as career is concerned.

The thing is I am just not happy here in Ireland. I lived abroad when I was a teenager and after a recent trip back for a few days just can't get it out of my head that I want to go back and try to make a life there permanently.

It's not a costa del sol situation, more Northern Spain and although I know the realities of the job prospects out there are not very good I am seriously considering completing a CELTA (Teaching English) Qualification in June in lieu of taking another 2 week sun holiday later in the year with a view to try and get a foot in the door to Spain come the Autumn.

I have my doubts too at my age I am thinking am I crazy to give what I have up but if it is not making me happy then is there any point in not trying.

Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate any thoughts or advice :o

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could you take term-time or a career break and see how things go? That way you'd be better able to decide whether to make your choice permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Picture yourself there and in the job you have now, up a step or two or more.

You can be permanent and pensionable all you like but if you are miserable then what is the point.

The year or two out is a good way to find out but I think you already know what you want, just make sure you have a clear plan and have thought it out.

Good luck either way, you only have one life.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭heretothere

What did you decide to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Unfortunately nothing due to deteriorating health.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭heretothere

Oh I hope you feel better soon ❤

• Advertisement

Thank you :) I am working very hard on recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Good to hear girl, will say a prayer for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

northgirl wrote: »
    Thank you :) I am working very hard on recovery.

Its been a year. I hope you are healthy and recovered. How this thread read to you a year down the road?

Its been a year. I hope you are healthy and recovered. How this thread read to you a year down the road?

Afraid not. I went away. It was an awful experience. Don't want to say to much on a public forum but things are worse now than before I left. I have no idea how to start to fix anything. I have a job (yes, a positive), nowhere stable to live and my family have let me down ferociously despite knowing what happened.

I am back in Pieta soon hopefully so not seeking any sympathy or otherwise here. Just an update.

Thanks for checking in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭fundi

northgirl wrote: »
    Afraid not. I went away. It was an awful experience. Don't want to say to much on a public forum but things are worse now than before I left. I have no idea how to start to fix anything. I have a job (yes, a positive), nowhere stable to live and my family have let me down ferociously despite knowing what happened.

I am back in Pieta soon hopefully so not seeking any sympathy or otherwise here. Just an update.

Thanks for checking in.

Sorry to hear that and best of luck in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement