Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Assistant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

Off topic from above but tp links plug in well, only problem is you have to put the ip's into the config. Would prefer the mac address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Did anyone using a pi 3 have problems getting a stable power supply with hassio?
    When I switched from an older HA install on a pi 3 to a clean hassio install, the pi became unreliable. Power led blinked green and red, and couldn't get a stable connection to hassio from another laptop, and if I restarted hassio, the pi crashed completely.
    I looked this up and everything pointed to the power lead not supplying enough power ( needs to be stable between 4.75v to 5.25v.
    I was using the raspberry pi power lead, and swapped with several chargers I had at home but same happened. Got a new official pi lead and same happened.
    Got a tester for the leads and both show 5.28v.
    So, believing the pi was faulty, I ordered another but the same is happening.
    Have just checked the boards with a multi meter, and each show just the minimum of 4.75v with no accessories or sd card installed (using p7 test point). Dropped to 4.71v and 4.72v with an SD card installed.
    So chargers seem to be providing enough juice but losing half a volt just being plugged in.

Will redo the older install, install Linux and then HA on top of that and see if that still works.
    Anyone with similar issues?
    What leads/chargers are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

paulbok wrote: »
    Did anyone using a pi 3 have problems getting a stable power supply with hassio?
    When I switched from an older HA install on a pi 3 to a clean hassio install, the pi became unreliable. Power led blinked green and red, and couldn't get a stable connection to hassio from another laptop, and if I restarted hassio, the pi crashed completely.
    I looked this up and everything pointed to the power lead not supplying enough power ( needs to be stable between 4.75v to 5.25v.
    I was using the raspberry pi power lead, and swapped with several chargers I had at home but same happened. Got a new official pi lead and same happened.
    Got a tester for the leads and both show 5.28v.
    So, believing the pi was faulty, I ordered another but the same is happening.
    Have just checked the boards with a multi meter, and each show just the minimum of 4.75v with no accessories or sd card installed (using p7 test point). Dropped to 4.71v and 4.72v with an SD card installed.
    So chargers seem to be providing enough juice but losing half a volt just being plugged in.

Will redo the older install, install Linux and then HA on top of that and see if that still works.
    Anyone with similar issues?
    What leads/chargers are you using?

I had a problem that when I used both bluetooth and WiFi the board would drop off the network after about a day and needed a reboot to reconnect. I disabled bluetooth as a workaround

Will try that, is that a config file edit or is there another way?

Will try that, is that a config file edit or is there another way?

In hassio you have to enable an addon to turn on bluetooth. Make sure that is disabled You should be able to find it from Hass.io > Addons > Bluetooth BCM43xx. Then make sure it is not installed or disabled

• Advertisement

So far so good with the Aoetec Sensor. My advice would be to use it plugged in as you can only get 60 min reports from battery. Also restart the hassio a few times to get all the config installed and looking good.

Anyone have a "turn on light if detect presence" sample script, would like to have the turn off part in it as well with a timeout etc.

Could come up with it but I want to go out and play in the snow :D

It's not presence but here's a YAML automation that turns on 2 lights, waits 15 minutes and then turns them off.

The triggers for it are if a door opens. And it will only fire if the sun has set and the light isn't already on.
    - action:
      - data:
          entity_id: light.back_downstairs_hallway
        service: light.turn_on
      - data:
          entity_id: light.hallway
      - delay: 00:15:00
      - data:
          entity_id: light.hallway
        service: light.turn_off
      - data:
      alias: back door open
      condition:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: sun.sun
        state: below_horizon
        state: 'off'
      id: '1515966627063'
      trigger:
      - entity_id: binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d0001bf8645
        platform: state
        to: 'on'

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Anyone have a "turn on light if detect presence" sample script, would like to have the turn off part in it as well with a timeout etc.

Not sure if this is the best way to go, but I had to write 2 automations. 1 to active when I get home, if its passed sunset. The other to active if sunset occurs and im at home.
    - alias: Turn on lights when home if after sunset
        trigger:
          entity_id: group.all_devices
          to: 'home'
        condition:
          condition: state
          state: 'below_horizon'
        action:
          entity_id: light.downstairs_hall_lamp

- alias: Turn on lights when sunset if someones home
        trigger:
          to: 'below_horizon'
        condition:
            state: 'home'
        action:

- alias: Turn off lights when everyone leaves
        trigger:
          to: 'not_home'
        action:
          - service: light.turn_off
            entity_id: group.all_lights
          - service: switch.turn_off
            entity_id: switch.attic_light

I now have a philips hue sensor outside (sheltered) which gets my the lux units and I use this to define whether it's bright out or not (binary sensor). I use this now rather than the sun. I found that on cloudy days i'd want the lights on earlier than the sun was down.

FYI. I used the 'from'/'to' conditions in the trigger so the automation only fires once per day. Otherwise you'd end up in a scenario where you turn off the lights (bedtime or whatever) and the automation would turn them back on for you.

• Advertisement

Moving my set up to my home server, bit of a pain, hopefully worth it

Moving my set up to my home server, bit of a pain, hopefully worth it

Totally worth it. I got myself an Intel Nuc, and migrated to that from a Raspberry Pi 2. World of difference. Start up takes seconds rather than minutes. I've InfluxDB running on it too, with some nice Grafana visuals on my heating usage etc.

444698.JPG

Around the 17th I started insulating our attic space. Outside temperatures went up too but it looks like with us at the house over these last few days in the sub-zero temps it's been taking less time to heat the house. Though i'm bias, I want the insulation work to have been worth it :)

EDIT: Also only stated tracking weather around the 13th Feb. Captain hindsight here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Not as good as matrim's but here is what I've working for the moment

[PHP]- alias: Turn on bathroom light when there is movement
    trigger:
    entity_id: binary_sensor.motion_sensor_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    to: 'on'
    action:
    entity_id: light.yeelight_rgb_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

- alias: Turn off bathroom light 5 minutes after last movement
    trigger:
    entity_id: binary_sensor.motion_sensor_xxxxxxxxxxx
    to: 'off'
    for:
    minutes: 5
    action:
    entity_id: light.yeelight_rgb_xxxxxxxxxxxx[/PHP]

Not sure if this is the best way to go, but I had to write 2 automations. 1 to active when I get home, if its passed sunset. The other to active if sunset occurs and im at home.
    - alias: Turn on lights when home if after sunset
        trigger:
          to: 'home'
        condition:
          condition: state
          state: 'below_horizon'
        action:

- alias: Turn on lights when sunset if someones home
        trigger:
          to: 'below_horizon'
        condition:
            state: 'home'
        action:

- alias: Turn off lights when everyone leaves
        trigger:
          to: 'not_home'
        action:
          - service: light.turn_off
            entity_id: group.all_lights
          - service: switch.turn_off
            entity_id: switch.attic_light

It looks like it's all done through multiple automations all right rather than 1 with conditionals.

Totally worth it. I got myself an Intel Nuc, and migrated to that from a Raspberry Pi 2. World of difference. Start up takes seconds rather than minutes. I've InfluxDB running on it too, with some nice Grafana visuals on my heating usage etc.

444698.JPG

Around the 17th I started insulating our attic space. Outside temperatures went up too but it looks like with us at the house over these last few days in the sub-zero temps it's been taking less time to heat the house. Though i'm bias, I want the insulation work to have been worth it :)

EDIT: Also only stated tracking weather around the 13th Feb. Captain hindsight here

Having issues with it auto start up myself, sorted permissions but I think it starts up now before the network is set or something because if I auto startup the hue and chrome casts dont come in. Much faster all right, have it on my microserver/plex box.

Googling influxDB as we speak.

Working fine for moisture detection (switching on extractor fan) but the motion detection sensor is a bit slow. Go into the room and it takes maybe 30 secs for light to come on. I have set the "binary sensor report" and the group 1 interval to 15 (via the HA configurator). After that I'm not really sure what to do?

Googling influxDB as we speak.

InfluxDB didn't take much effort if I remember correctly. Just install it, run it and setup the component for HA.
    After that I just installed Grafana and changed it's datasource to be influxDB. Some trial and error and I got the graphs I wanted on it.
    I tried using chronograf for influxDB but really didn't like it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I am doing something similar for a while, and including DB reliability etc. I have a brief installation tutorial on the thread

I am doing something similar for a while, and including DB reliability etc. I have a brief installation tutorial on the thread

DB = Dublin Bus... not Database :pac:

InfluxDB didn't take much effort if I remember correctly. Just install it, run it and setup the component for HA.
    After that I just installed Grafana and changed it's datasource to be influxDB. Some trial and error and I got the graphs I wanted on it.
    I tried using chronograf for influxDB but really didn't like it.

any issues on restart of nuc?

• Advertisement

any issues on restart of nuc?

Only thing I can think of is the hass service. I think I don't start it with the right permissions or something. Every time the nuc restarts (which is rare) I have to scratch my head as to why it's not starting up correctly, and every time I say to myself i'll fix that now.... and I don't.

444812.png

Only thing I can think of is the hass service. I think I don't start it with the right permissions or something. Every time the nuc restarts (which is rare) I have to scratch my head as to why it's not starting up correctly, and every time I say to myself i'll fix that now.... and I don't.

444812.png

Ya I sorted the permissions by adding the user to the USB group (Something like that anyway).

Sensor still a bit slow unfortunately.

Just a word of warning for people, upgraded home assistant the other day on ubuntu 16.04 and it fell over. Failed to start up because of python dependancies. Shur I needed to upgrade to 17.10 anyways :D

New raspberry pi 3+ released yesterday for anyone thinking of getting one. Bump up in processing power and wifi and support for Poe are the main upgrades. Don't know when available this side of the pond but still selling at $35 in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

New raspberry pi 3+ released yesterday for anyone thinking of getting one. Bump up in processing power and wifi and support for Poe are the main upgrades. Don't know when available this side of the pond but still selling at $35 in the states

Available from the main UK suppliers as well £32

Anyone have any experience with temp sensors? Thinking of putting a temp sensor on my hot tank to monitor temp.

It's controlled by an analog already but think this might be a bit better.

Organising the cards etc. myself now.

Only realised there were hidden gems like server status.

Any other ones for weather and the likes?

Actually using wunderground, seems decent enough.

Wondering how people are getting on with the iPhone app and location.

From what I can see I am still away (wrong) and the wife never leaves the house (definitely wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

Anyone have any experience with temp sensors? Thinking of putting a temp sensor on my hot tank to monitor temp.

It's controlled by an analog already but think this might be a bit better.

Organising the cards etc. myself now.

Only realised there were hidden gems like server status.

Not yet, but on the plans... I was thinking of setting up a mysensor gateway to do just that - 2+sensors and you might be able to guide how much hot water there is..(eg enough for one shower..)

Using platform: yr
    https://github.com/matthewbyrne/homeassistant/blob/master/packages/sensors.yaml

https://github.com/matthewbyrne/homeassistant/blob/master/packages/weather.yaml

I've some reporting on how long my heating as been on each day. Nice to get an idea of usage week on week.

Unfortunately my blink cameras are not playing brilliantly with home Assistant, for some reason the "unread" notifications count is staying at 0.

Looking to use IFTTT instead.

Pushing the following back to HA:
    {
    "state": "1",
    "attributes": {
    "friendly_name": "Front Door Motion Detected",
    "icon": "mdi:security"
    }
    }

What I need to do now is try and automatically set back to zero if motion isn't detected for five minutes.

Any tips?

I see things about template sensors but not sure where to go really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

thinking im going to nuke my HA install tonight and dockerize the whole thing as per

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/895iw6/my_home_assistant_setup_rpi_3b_docker_compose/

Any reason I shouldnt go the docker route?

Advertisement