Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wheelie Bin Pay-by-weight discussion thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

L1011 wrote: »
    Because at this stage its almost entirely consumer choice to buy over-packaged/over-wasteful items. I don't, hence my bins are going to be going down in price quite significantly.

If people don't buy things, they don't get made and the producer doesn't make any money. Letting them continue to buy things with a greenwashed conscience just for a little bit more because the producer is being taxed does bog all to stop the problem.

great to see your conscience of it but believe it or not, most arent. we dont exactly have a choice in product materials. you ll generally find, most materials are chosen at the beginning of a products life not just for practical reasons but for financial reasons.

we have prioritised our economic needs over our environmental necessities. we have got to stop thinking like this. we only have one planet, there is no other! we have got to start putting more pressure on manufactures to simply stop introducing materials, particularly harmful, toxic, non reusable, non recyclable materials, into the system. this is simply a reactionary process, and its the end user thats picking up the tab. you will find an increase in fly tipping from this approach.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Stealth charge of 4€ a lift for he green bin
    Assuming it's lifted every two weeks
    And not contaminated

Its €2 a week whether you put bins out or not. They aren't going to drive around on the off chance someone has put bins out - there were standing charges for pay per lift also.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    great to see your conscience of it but believe it or not, most arent. we dont exactly have a choice in product materials. you ll generally find, most materials are chosen at the beginning of a products life not just for practical reasons but for financial reasons.

we have prioritised our economic needs over our environmental necessities. we have got to stop thinking like this. we only have one planet, there is no other! we have got to start putting more pressure on manufactures to simply stop introducing materials, particularly harmful, toxic, non reusable, non recyclable materials, into the system. this is simply a reactionary process, and its the end user thats picking up the tab. you will find an increase in fly tipping from this approach.

Advocating greenwashing "Ah sure, the producer's paid some tax for this..." does nothing either, though. Its actually worse than nothing as it causes the consumer to think its not their responsibility.

You can put huge pressure on manufacturers by just not buying things. Greenwashing is always more damaging - how many brand new cars were bought because of John Gormleys ridiculous car tax changes for instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

A month to go and Panda have not bothered their backside detailing the rates yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

pbw-300.jpg

Just for comparison this is Thorntons rates

So I have to bring my black bin to less than 20kg or I pay more than I do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

A month to go and Panda have not bothered their backside detailing the rates yet.

City bin only outlined their prices in the last day or so.

If one was paying a flat monthly fee and only recently joined a provider would this change would allow you to break out of your contract?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

From Greyhound

"We are aware that in the past you have preferred to pay your service charge annually. This option is still available but our priority is to make sure your bin continues to be collected and as a result we will move your account to the weekly option below. If in the coming weeks and months you decide that you wish to move onto an annual service charge all you need to do is contact us and we will change your plan immediately.

Service Charge €3.25 per week or €140 per year

Black .35 kg
    Brown .23 kg
    Green free ??

Our price plan is structured to encourage households to divert material away from the black bin. Following the changeover, any unused service amount from your current price plan will be credited back to your account on the 1st of July due to the change in your service dates. The new weekly service charge above will be deducted from your account balance starting from the 1st of July 2016."

Anybody know why no Maximum Charge per kilo as the minimum charge for black is only 11c according to the order signed by the AK47 from Tipp.

The charges are fupping outrageous.

Our annual cost for waste is currently costing ~ €180 per year on average. That includes the service charge of €110 annually plus lifts for black bin €66.50 /year (7 lifts). Green bin is always full (could do with a second) and the brown bin gets used as much as possible. Green and Brown currently free.

Using the above calculations based on the greyhound pricing, the exact same waste is going to cost me ~€330 !

A 181% increase - shower of *****. So my waste charges will double and I get nothing extra for increase?

Please say I've made a mistake? Average is 440kg black, 410kg green, 135kg brown per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Last year i put out 0 black bins. cost was 65 service charge and about 15 quid in brown bins. approx 85 per year.
    This year they charged me service charge of 70 and i have put out 25kg in one black bin. thats probably me for the year in black bins.
    Now they say they are returning my unused service charge in July and will be charging me 3.25 per week. Thats 169 euro with no llifts.
    Think I'll be moving from greyhound.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

practice wrote: »
    From Greyhound

"We are aware that in the past you have preferred to pay your service charge annually. This option is still available but our priority is to make sure your bin continues to be collected and as a result we will move your account to the weekly option below. If in the coming weeks and months you decide that you wish to move onto an annual service charge all you need to do is contact us and we will change your plan immediately.

Service Charge €3.25 per week or €140 per year

Black .35 kg
    Brown .23 kg
    Green free ??

Our price plan is structured to encourage households to divert material away from the black bin. Following the changeover, any unused service amount from your current price plan will be credited back to your account on the 1st of July due to the change in your service dates. The new weekly service charge above will be deducted from your account balance starting from the 1st of July 2016."

Anybody know why no Maximum Charge per kilo as the minimum charge for black is only 11c according to the order signed by the AK47 from Tipp.

No maximum charge because all waste collections are by private companies

The minimum charge is to stop companies working at below cost to put the others out if business

Thus creating a monopoly or cartel

And to add to this increase, we have no alternative waste collection company. Panda in the process of taking over Greenstar, so that leaves just Panda as the only waste operator in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

No maximum charge because all waste collections are by private companies

The minimum charge is to stop companies working at below cost to put the others out if business

Thus creating a monopoly or cartel

Thanks.

Just bought blender in aldi.
    All that can be blended will now go down drain outside house

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thanks.

Bargain Alerts: Requests thread for Dynorod vouchers in, oh, 30 days? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

A few things puzzle me about this new charging.

There was an article in the journal.ie in February and they said that black bin would be approx 11c p/kilo , and now we have providers charging 35c p/kilo
    I wonder will this be a fixed cost or index linked .

They also said that the new system will do away with annual flat fees and now we see there is a weekly standing charge .

They also said that everything will be determined by local authorities , whereas we don't have local authorities any more since they were abolished . - just one County Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There was an article in the journal.ie in February and they said that black bin would be approx 11c p/kilo , and now we have providers charging 35c p/kilo

They also said that the new system will do away with annual flat fees and now we see there is a weekly standing charge .

They also said that everything will be determined by local authorities , whereas we don't have local authorities any more since they were abolished . - just one County Council.

The county council is the Local Authority.

The Journal is not an accurate information source, ever. If it ran a leader about the sky being blue I'd assume Krakatoa had gone again and it was actually grey.

The 11c is a legal minimum, as in they cannot charge below that. There is no maximum. Nothing was ever going to stop standing charges. Local Authorities still exist, just only one per area (a County or City Council).

Thanks.

Think outside the box
    Get a garden shredder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Think outside the box Get a garden shredder

Something tells me that pest-control companies will create lots of new jobs in the next few years

Something tells me that pest-control companies will create lots of new jobs in the next few years

Nahh
    Set it up in the bathroom

Shred & flush

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please try to stay somewhere near the original topic

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭guil

Lots of recycling bins are going to to be left unemptied.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Lots of recycling bins are going to to be left unemptied.

Now here's the catch

If a recycling bin is left because of contamination

The old system was to lift it with the general waste truck

Will you be charged by weight ???

And on the roads and beaches. Last time I was on Port Beach (Louth) the mattress count had gone up also general crap that some f**kers just throw over the wall and indeed along the roads. €2 for the recycle centre in Dundalk FFS for the mattresses and building crap.

You should head up the mountain where the transmitter outside Dundalk is if you want to how much time and money people will spend to avoid the recycling centre :p.

Now here's the catch

If a recycling bin is left because of contamination

The old system was to lift it with the general waste truck

Will you be charged by weight ???
    Id love to know. I drive a refuse truck and we know nothing yet only that we won't be allowed into 60k or less areas before 6am. Days are going to get longer and people will be complaining about the trucks being around in the evening.

Id love to know. I drive a refuse truck and we know nothing yet only that we won't be allowed into 60k or less areas before 6am. Days are going to get longer and people will be complaining about the trucks being around in the evening.

This will be the norm
    Sadly anywhere that has no dumping signs
    Will be destroyed

Basically the signs mean you can get away dumping stuff here
    Other people have done it before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Where I live the compost and green bin are emptied on the same day (Friday)

The compost bin truck comes at 0730 in the morning and the green bin truck comes around 1600 Fridays (but in the last 3 month it did not show 3 times), so I'm used to strange times and sometimes it looks like it's the same guys on the truck.

But due to the monopoly of Greenstar/Panda in my region I have no choice once Greenstar raises their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Has anyone seen the list of streets that are exempt from having to use wheelie bins? We can probably keep the bins in the garden, but I don't know how we can stop the other animals who share our garden from dumping their crap in our bin? Can you buy wheelie bin locks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Lux23 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the list of streets that are exempt from having to use wheelie bins? We can probably keep the bins in the garden, but I don't know how we can stop the other animals who share our garden from dumping their crap in our bin? Can you buy wheelie bin locks?

Yes... :)

Where I live the compost and green bin are emptied on the same day (Friday)

The compost bin truck comes at 0730 in the morning and the green bin truck comes around 1600 Fridays (but in the last 3 month it did not show 3 times), so I'm used to strange times and sometimes it looks like it's the same guys on the truck.

But due to the monopoly of Greenstar/Panda in my region I have no choice once Greenstar raises their prices.
    Any chance they are being emptied into the one truck now? There is trucks we call split bodies or twin pack that has 2 seperaty compartments inside. Most of them have 3 bin lifts on the back but some will only have 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Just did my own sums here this morning. I am a pay per lift customer with Thorntons and spent €210 with them over the last 12-13 months. I put the black bin out 9 times, the brown 8 and the green for almost every lift.

My standing charge is going from €60 to €104 and based on the new lift charges will see my annual cost rise to €350. So thats an extra €140 being extracted from me for the same waste. If it was going into a green project or at least back to the state I could bear it but this is just more profit for a private company right?

• Advertisement

tnegun wrote: »
    Just did my own sums here this morning. I am a pay per lift customer with Thorntons and spent €210 with them over the last 12-13 months. I put the black bin out 9 times, the brown 8 and the green for almost every lift.

My standing charge is going from €60 to €104 and based on the new lift charges will see my annual cost rise to €350. So thats an extra €140 being extracted from me for the same waste. If it was going into a green project or at least back to the state I could bear it but this is just more profit for a private company right?

More than likely, yes. FF abolishing the rates in 1977 is still having repercussions with such services like domestic waste collection having been privatised. You now have situations where in certain areas a for profit company has a monopoly meaning they can screw the customer as much as they like.

Advertisement