Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suzuki Samurai restoration project

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Sure we nearly all know him :)

Great work fellas and good work on figuring that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

YbFocus wrote: »

I'm sure he will be pleased with how he looks in that picture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Top work! Looking forward to seeing this complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What utter knob wears yellow shoes? :)

Great to see it progressing along though, remind me to never let any of you measure anything again!

That Jeep will be a brilliant little car when it's finished.

• Advertisement

I got the inside story and am not impressed with your measurements deb :)

Those shoes are great work shoes but i wouldn't wear them in public :pac:

YbFocus wrote: »
    I got the inside story and am not impressed with your measurements deb :)

Those shoes are great work shoes but i wouldn't wear them in public :pac:

Yep wasn't my best moment :o I'll never be allowed move on from that will I :pac:

Time for some more updates!

It was finally time to pull the body out. This is the setup that was used;

Rope tied to the trolly
    IMG_3699_zpse9oxp880.jpg?t=1453844539

IMG_3701_zpsmxgqrtle.jpg?t=1453844539

Some sort of 166/pulley setup :p

IMG_3702_zpsh8raqiov.jpg?t=1453844539

On it's way out

IMG_3706_zpsmrau5sre.jpg

IMG_3707_zpsyxbxgrcv.jpg

Finally the shed is empty :D

IMG_3709_zpsqfkprnqp.jpg

The amount of dirt that fell off the car was unreal.

IMG_3708_zpsli2jucqa.jpg

Chassis moved back into the shed.

IMG_3710_zpsmkwqck6g.jpg

Floor washed and chassis back in. quadrifoglio verde ruining the photo :p

1573280a-5452-42f9-934d-942ff1f748a6_zpsgzzyvavk.jpg

Axle stands actually under axles :eek: That's not a common sight since victorian times

IMG_3745%201_zpskmhks6am.jpg

Brake fluid was drained, really rotten looking. Probably there 10 years at least.

IMG_3742%201_zpsivsgvgoh.jpg

That's you fully up to date on the progress so far! The plan for next weekend is to;

Take the brakes off.

Then check the condition of the differentials, I'm a bit worried about the amount of "slop" in them. I'll check the manual and if it's within the allowed service tolerance I'll leave them alone. If they are outside the allowed limit then I'll have a headache! If all is good I'll drain and replace the diff oil in the front and rear.

Next on the list if I get that far is to dismantle the suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

You really are leaving no stone unturned

Excellent work

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Exciting times and very ballsy progress! :)

Got sad when I seen the 166 and all the perseverance that went into it, then got really sad when I seen the red MR2, because MR2...

Exciting times and very ballsy progress! :)

Got sad when I seen the 166 and all the perseverance that went into it, then got really sad when I seen the red MR2, because MR2...

The red mr2 was bought with a broken smt gearbox. It was bought by my dad to break and sad as it is it has gone on to save many mr2s in the country. Then the green mr2 was bought with a knocking bottom end. The engine from the red car went into the green one to save it. Sadly the engine from the red car is burning a lot of oil so the green car isnt saved yet. The engine runs great though. Not sure how the project will end but that red car wasn't nice enough to be worth saving.

As for the 166. That was sad alright especially with the unbelievable amount of work that went into it. It's donated a lot of its parts to my current 166 though so in a way it lives on too.

I agree that it is a sad end for them but both have kept at least 1 other car on the road so it's worth it really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

11077403_416321078545474_6443642652112927565_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Did you ever attempt an engine rebuild? would it be cost effective, in say the mr2?

Hal1 wrote: »
    Did you ever attempt an engine rebuild? would it be cost effective, in say the mr2?

Never have no. It's my dad's project not my own. (he has never rebuild an engine either)

It's just for the fun of it that he decided to buy the green MR2 and fix it up. How hard can an engine rebuild be :p and if it goes badly what does it really matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It looks like a straight forward enough process from what I've seen in vids and pics of some engine builds. The only thing I know I would struggle with would be dialing in cams and bores. All the work that involves timing and using micrometers etc. If you had a good teacher or manual with a lot of running back and forward to your comp for guidance. I'd say it's totally doable :).

Small bit more progress over the last weekend. First of all brake callipers off. Amazingly all the sliders were moving freely and all the rubbers were intact.

IMG_3783_zpsbiidcpu4.jpg

IMG_3784_zpsbs58i3zp.jpg

Next, taking the discs off. There's a hole you can thread a bolt into to force the disc off the hub.

IMG_3791_zps9ijfltoc.jpg

IMG_3792_zps8pqlm7fa.jpg

Taking the drums off the back is next. The trick to this is to use the wheels as a sort of a slide hammer to get the drum off over the shoes. This doesn't work with every car. The wheel studs for this jeep are different to the studs that hold the drum to the axle.

IMG_3788_zpsuyltm8le.jpg

This is what's inside a drum brake for those of you who don't know.

IMG_3789_zps7ahjy4hy.jpg

Master cylinder/ servo come off next.

IMG_3793_zpspsfhsidc.jpg

The last thing I did was remove the anti roll bar. No rear anti roll bar on this car, front only.

IMG_3795_zpsrsif0fdq.jpg

One of the bushes fell apart, the metal centre come out on the bolt ripping the rubber.

IMG_3794_zpshi7frk4v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Any more updates Ded Zebra?
    Can't wait, I have to say I'm loving this 4x4.

Any more updates Ded Zebra?
    Can't wait, I have to say I'm loving this 4x4.

I do have an update I could post. I'll put it together now. Not too much has happened over that last while. Been busy doing a few bits and pieces to the daily driver and also helping my dad a bit with the MR2 as well a a few other things. Everything going to plan I should order some bits and bobs this week to push on!

Are you fvcking joking me! The fvcking post didn't post!!!! And that was after photobucket sh1t all over itself!

I'm not an angry man but that has tipped me over the edge!!! I'll try post it again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

So next on the list was to take the back axle off.

Photos won't upload properly... Photo bucket is sh!tting all over itself:rolleyes:

Anyway Bolts out of the shackles

IMG_3824_zps9cmoxtqn.jpg

Axle dropped. I Loosened all the other bolts and stuff when it was still on the chassis. It'll probably be easier when the axle is mounted securely rather than flying around on the bench.

IMG_3825_zpsi67s1oth.jpg

Carried the axle down to the garage and put it on the bench.

IMG_3827_zpsaj8htgqk.jpg

Wound the bushes out with a pullers. They were well shot!

IMG_3829_zpseqceibuq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭FirefighterT7

blackbox wrote: »
    This looks like a big project.

Do you have a target date for completion?
    Add your reply here.

Parcel motel tells me that the first new parts have arrived for the jeep. Now the fun really starts :cool: :cool: :cool:

Here's what arrived. I can't put into words how excited I am to be getting new shiny bits and to be very close to the stage of putting it back together.

IMG_3968_zpsrguqr5sh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Nice advertisement. :P

GvidoR wrote: »
    Nice advertisement. :P

I swear they're not paying me :pac:

I'm going to spend about €700 on parts over the next week (probably won't go anywhere near as far as I expect :rolleyes:) but things should really start to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Good man Colin.

Hello everyone! Just blowing the dust off this thread. This project has got a bit neglected for the last couple of months but I've just ordered a few bits! My aim is to have the chassis rolling again by the end of next month. :)

If the stuff gets delivered during the week I might take next Friday off to get started back into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

I bet you're glad you didn't strip the engine now unnecessarily on top of everything else.

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    I bet you're glad you didn't strip the engine now unnecessarily on top of everything else.

I'll be glad as long as it doesn't start telling knock knock jokes within the first 1000 miles :pac:

Advertisement