Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC VS Siemens App Discussion Stickey Temp

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks Koolkid,

So yes the Siemens service will poll, your panel will poll a cloud service.

If you go into your app you will see that it is down.

But the app will not notify you, you would need another path for that.

So this is polling, polling the cloud however it would be better if the cloud shot a notification to your phone no?

I assume that's on the way

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

All correct..Not sure if it's on the way with Siemens or not. However it is already a feature on the GSD free service.
    I will enquire re the future Siemens features and come back to you if I can.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Stoner wrote: »

I just use it for texting, I also have the panel hooked up to my router

I have mine set up for text and data. It makes little or no difference to cost. The data transfer is very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,633 ✭✭✭✭altor

So yes the Siemens service will poll

The system does not poll.

You are relying on another path to get notifications.

You are confusing polling and notifications. They are 2 different things. The panel polls the SPC Connect server and can notify via another path if the IP /Network connection is lost.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    You are confusing polling and notifications. They are 2 different things. The panel polls the SPC Connect server and can notify via another path if the IP /Network connection is lost.

If you only have an IP connection (router) to your panel do you get a notification to say its down?

This has been answered above already. This does not constitute polling. The Siemens Panel does poll and can notify of an IP network fail on any other path that is available. As I said above. If people are concerned about this the best option IMO is GSD which offers notifications on network alerts as well as smash and grap alerts even on a single path fail.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OK to out this to bed, let's be blunt.

the Siemens system does carry out a polling service.

to be blunt about it, it's not great. The Siemens cloud service should let you know that its down as it is aware because it talks to the panel. Its not great that there is a service that knows there is an issue but only tells you if you if you ask it.

it sounds like a very simple fix if you ask me. It should be available. Possibly it is something that you would need a subscription for.

So the Siemens system Polls. You might need another path to tell you information it gathered from a polling process.
    There are other panels that do it better, including GSD and HKC.

So that's it with respect to polling and notifications two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

All was great until Eircom upgraded my Modem. My bandwidth went from 3Mb to 40Mb :D.

But now the Siemens SPCanywhere app won't connect through to the SPC5300 alarm panel.

If I enter the panel serial number on the spcsecure site, I get to the Login page of the new MODEM.

So I guess that some type of a pass-through is needed for the Modem?

I tried creating a new 'access control rule' in the Modem with Source as the router and Destination as the panel, but no joy - and I'm not too sure what I'm doing there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been at this for over a week.

deandean wrote: »
    All was great until Eircom upgraded my Modem. My bandwidth went from 3Mb to 40Mb :D.

But now the Siemens SPCanywhere app won't connect through to the SPC5300 alarm panel.

If I enter the panel serial number on the spcsecure site, I get to the Login page of the new MODEM.

So I guess that some type of a pass-through is needed for the Modem?

I tried creating a new 'access control rule' in the Modem with Source as the router and Destination as the panel, but no joy - and I'm not too sure what I'm doing there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been at this for over a week.

Have you set up the ports?
    Another option would be to update the system to the latest version, this was you would not need to set this up.

• Advertisement

Port 443 needs to be port forwarded to your panels internal IP address.(Providing you havn't set up the service on a different port)
    You will get some great information on how to do this on an router here

If you upgrade to version 3-6-0 & then to 3-6-5 you no longer use Spc Anywhere or SPC Secure
    The new app is SPC Connect
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spc-connect/id948318844?mt=8
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siemens.spcconnect&hl=en
    And the new portal /cloud is www.spcconnect.com
    If you need any help upgrading give us a shout.
    Even if you upgrade I would still recommend setting up the port forwarding. It allows you direct connection to your panel no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 golu

Even if you upgrade I would still recommend setting up the port forwarding. It allows you direct connection to your panel no matter what.

It is strongly recommended to NOT setup port forwarding to the panel, due to the very poor SSL3 encryption Siemens still is using.

That's sorted in the next update. Due shortly.

golu wrote: »
    It is strongly recommended to NOT setup port forwarding to the panel, due to the very poor SSL3 encryption Siemens still is using.

Is there a security risk using this?

Yes. The POODLE vulnerability, known since October 2014, is a weakness in version 3 of the SSL protocol that allows an attacker in a man-in-the-middle context to decipher the plain text content of an SSLv3 encrypted message.

That's why all modern webbrowsers have now disabled SSL3 by default.

For more info please google POODLE SSL3.

With 3-6-0 and after updates everything is through the cloud anyway. Most browsers block older versions connecting. I have discussed this with Siemens and the next release addresses it.
    Really surprised you had not heard of this.

With 3-6-0 and after updates everything is through the cloud anyway. Most browsers block older versions connecting. I have discussed this with Siemens and the next release addresses it.
    Really surprised you had not heard of this.

I agree that the new FlexC protocol used between panel and SPC Connect Cloud is a very secure communication solution (I have even started to implement it in my own SPC gateway) , but the issue was that you recommended port forwarding, that is a vulnerability risc until Siemens have updated the SSL protocol.

I recommend it generally as an option as it always gives you a direct connection to your panel. In the event of a portal being down etc.
    I agree if people have concerns forwarding can be disabled for the time being.

golu wrote: »
    Yes. The POODLE vulnerability, known since October 2014, is a weakness in version 3 of the SSL protocol that allows an attacker in a man-in-the-middle context to decipher the plain text content of an SSLv3 encrypted message.

That's why all modern webbrowsers have now disabled SSL3 by default.

For more info please google POODLE SSL3.

Thanks golu

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Thommy2

Just installed and configured a secondhand Siemens SPC4320 system (happily surprised about the large number of possibilities in configurations and settings) and also struggeling to get the APP-functionality working (SPCanywhere?).

Read the previous discussion and understand that I have to upgrade the firmware?

"If you upgrade to version 3-6-0 & then to 3-6-5 you no longer use Spc Anywhere or SPC Secure. The new app is SPC Connect"

Can somebody please give some more information on how to upgrade / where can I get the new firmware?

Many thanks!

• Advertisement

I am PMing you the files you need.
    In Engineer goto File Firmware upgrade and select the next fw file from the ones I sent you .
    Upgrade in order to 3.4.5>3.6.0>3.6.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ScottDru

Hi, I've also got a self installed 4320 on FW version 3.2.5 and was looking to make the same Firmware upgrade. KoolKid, could I trouble you to send myself the same files if at all possible?
    Many thanks in advance
    Scott

Happy to.
    PMing you those now. Its a major upgrade, back up your config file to your PC first & upgrade in order to 3-6-0 first then to 3-6-5

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sosoi123

Hi,

I am running a self installed SPC4320 on its factory supplied firmware (Version 2.1.3 listed on the status page). It is a great and reliable panel, however on the firmware side it looks like I am really behind the times :)

I would really appreciate your help with the firmware files.
    Thanks a million,
    Sorin

I'll send you all you need. It's best to upgrade to the next version to what you have each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sosoi123

It worked a treat. Running latest firmware now, the web interface is better. Also SPC connect now works, so I no longer have to use the SPCanywhere app which was broken due to the SSLV3 problem.

This upgrade is really worth doing.

Thanks a million :):)

Sorin

Yes it is a nice upgrade and some nice additions. Don't forget you also now have email alerts. You set this up from your Spc Connect account.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Chanquete

I may just join in here :) - I have an SPC5300 under 3.6.0-R.19275 firmware. Koolkid, would you mind sending me instructions on how to upgrade to the latest firmware?

Thanks a million.

I sent you a PM with the 365 Firmware.
    Select full engineer and goto file.
    Back up your existing config file just in case.
    Then goto firmware upgrade, browse to the file I sent you and select upgrade. Then confirm.

• Advertisement

As it stands I get a log of the activity on the HKC panel, but on this set up I cant see the status of the different zones, I cant seem to isolate a zone or see the status of every zone, maybe I'm using it incorrectly but it does not have the same level of detail on the alarm as the Siemens one does.

The HKC app was updated to show zone status plus allow inhibiting of individual zone or zones before arming from the app. In the older app it would list open zones and then you could inhibit the open zones automatically by continuing to arm. Version 1.0.3 is the new App.

It also has site specific detail settings rather than global settings for multi sites.

Advertisement