Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Wrasslin' thoughts.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Brought to my attention recently:

Ryback's likely victory at MitB 2013 will be his first PPV win since..........MitB 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Brought to my attention recently:

Ryback's likely victory at MitB 2013 will be his first PPV win since..........MitB 2012.

Back when he was still facing jobbers. Tyler Reks and Curt Hawkins I think it was against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

jaykhunter wrote: »
    HA HA HA I mean why does Rock get abuse - He's the guy who has come back to help out WWE & is taking a paycut doing so. While Austin hasn't come back despite a clean bill of health, instead he faffs around on his microphone & remakes the same direct-to-DVD movie 10 times over. I mean complaining about Rock (whilst loving Austin) seems quite hypocritical.

What did Rock get paid for his return? I doubt he did it for free. Granted he probably didn't get as much as he would on some of his crappy movies. WrestleMania 29 was the biggest MoneyMania ever, so I'm sure he got paid well.

Anyway the guff should be directed at WWE and Vince who booked him. WWE always had a strategy of not so much giving fans what they wanted but telling fans what they want and then giving them that (with a few exceptions obviously, most recently CM Punk). The internet in 2010 wasn't chock full of threads saying "they need to bring Rock back for three WrestleManias and a run with the title". My bet is they got panicked with Undertaker's future looking uncertain and HBK retiring (Edge too).

Austin definitely deserves guff for every appearance he made between 2003 post-WrestleMania XIX and 2010 imo, stinking up the place in stupid skits and segments. At least Rock broke a sweat in his return (still deserves a bit of the guff though cause he sucked!)

Bottom line is (if you'll pardon the pun) that if WWE are booking "legends" ie. old, retired, or semi-retired wrestlers in main event spots particulalrly at WrestleMania then that means they've no (or little) faith in the wrestlers they're promoting to draw money . I expect we're stuck with Cena at WrestleMania for another 20years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I don't get why Rock gets criticised so much. Does he have to be legit hurt to be allowed to walk away from Wrestling despite doing so much. Main eventing Mania 3 times iirc before his comeback and wrestled everyone during his era from Austin to Hogan to Lesnar to Goldberg. I don't see what people think he owes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Hope Rock doesn't return this year. The act is stale, comedy is terrible and his time has come and gone. He was never going to face anyone else at WM as Cena made the most sense, money wise.

If there was scope to push the boundaries with Austin, snall things like the middle finger, some profanity etc. :D Definitely no comedy. I think his return to face Punk would blow Rock away.

Knowing WWE he'd probably end up facing Cena instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I think the Survivor Series Tag Match was actually pretty awesome. Rock looked good, it told a decent story in the ring, the end was also pretty good! I think a good few people were hoping the Rock would return (I know I did) His comeback wasn't great, but I think a programme between him and some upper-mid-cards around Rumble time and at EC, then face Lesnar at WM30 would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I think the Survivor Series Tag Match was actually pretty awesome. Rock looked good, it told a decent story in the ring, the end was also pretty good! I think a good few people were hoping the Rock would return (I know I did) His comeback wasn't great, but I think a programme between him and some upper-mid-cards around Rumble time and at EC, then face Lesnar at WM30 would be cool

No way would he wrestle some upper-mid cards. Not money matches. At best you might be lucky to see Rock Vs Rey Mysterio who he says he has always wanted to wrestle.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    No way would he wrestle some upper-mid cards. Not money matches. At best you might be lucky to see Rock Vs Rey Mysterio who he says he has always wanted to wrestle.
    I never said it would happen, I said it would be pretty cool. Really wish people would read posts before they reply. Do I honestly believe that it will happen? Of course not. Also I hate people bringing things like "money-matches" into it. The way you make stars is to make them look good against the best or people who were the best. What better way to do that than have someone like Sandow face The Rock?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That would be a cool idea. No doubt the segment building it up would be super. Would people accept Rock vs Sandow though? If Sandow beat the Rock, people would likely view it as just an upset, like Shelton beating Hunter, a fluke. WWE have fashioned such a heirarchy (opening card, midcard, main event) that only those bursting out of the mid-card could actually capitalise on an endorsement from a main event guy like The Rock. Sandow's 3 weeks of bad booking away from being on Superstars, he's too far below The Rock in the pecking order. But if red-hot Daniel Bryan beat The Rock, it'd definitely catapult him. Yes, no, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I think most people didn't have a problem with the fact that Rock was back. I think they were just underwhelmed that Rock wasn't very good when he came back. His schtick hasn't aged well and the scintillating energy that used to paper over the cracks in his samey promos just wasn't there this time round.

Austin is doing his legacy a favour with every passing year that he stays away.

• Advertisement

I never said it would happen, I said it would be pretty cool. Really wish people would read posts before they reply. Do I honestly believe that it will happen? Of course not. Also I hate people bringing things like "money-matches" into it. The way you make stars is to make them look good against the best or people who were the best. What better way to do that than have someone like Sandow face The Rock?

You said you thought a match between him and some upper mid-carders would be cool. You were implying that he should wrestle some upper-mid carders. I was just pointing out that it would not happen. Sure it would be nice to see him make some wrestlers into stars, but he's there strictly for the main event. I said money matches because that's what he's there for, just like Brock. Their place is against the main eventers since they're only there to wrestle for a certain amount of matches.

That being said, if WWE were that interested in pushing wrestlers and making them into stars, then they would be pushing them and wouldn't need the Rock to do that. First thing they should do, is commit to pushing wrestler s and not half arse it all the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was glad Rock came back, glad he faced Punk and not just Cena.

I just would have preferred a less predictable outcome from his Punk matches and his second Cena match.

I would have had Punk win the first match, thanks to the Shield or some other messing. It would have provided a big Shock and a big boost to the idea that WWE could throw a curve ball with Punk Taker later on.

Rock win at Elimination Chamber fair and square.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I was glad Rock came back, glad he faced Punk and not just Cena.

I just would have preferred a less predictable outcome from his Punk matches and his second Cena match.

I would have had Punk win the first match, thanks to the Shield or some other messing. It would have provided a big Shock and a big boost to the idea that WWE could throw a curve ball with Punk Taker later on.

Rock win at Elimination Chamber fair and square.
    +1. I think people weren't giving out about The Rock coming back, they were giving out about
    a. Him getting a title shot for winning two matches
    b. Taking Main Event status away from some guys like Punk
    c. The predictability about the ending.

I think they could have done things a lot differently. As you said, have him lose at the Rumble to Punk, win at EC. I would have also had Rock beat Cena at WM29 to set up a match at ER. Probably best E didn't go this route because of the injury Rock got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Remember when everyone wanted rock to return for years and then he did and everyone was delighted? An defined everyone turned? Why I enjoyed his promos, angles and matches, I genuinel . Don't understand the hate? He is the same rock I remember....

Would the same happen to Austin if he returned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

b. Taking Main Event status away from some guys like Punk

Cena took away main event status from Punk. He didn't headlined any of the big 4 PPVs while champion without Cena being involved and when Punk was defending the title against Bryan Cena was headlining the PPV with.... eh, The Big Slug and Johnny Laryngitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The cheif stands alone

I don't mind if The Rock comes back, His promo's are still very strong. There isn't a great depth in mic skills in WWE these days. I know all he did was swear when he got into trouble with punk, but he still seems to get his catch phrases over without Michael Cole needing to ram it down our throats for him. I know its a bit undermining no-showing most of the shows and the satellite feed run with Cena was horrific. But lets face it he can get paid a lot more money doing another Fast and the Furious or G.I Joe flick. I'd say he sold a lot of PPV'S for them either ways, could be a cash cow in years to come. I'm really glad to see Mick Foley still getting the odd bit of screen time. I know its painful but It comforts me he's not in TNA, he deserves the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

2012/2013 has seen the rebirth of the wresting manager, which is something I never thought I'd see again. Paul Heyman, Zeb Coulter and Ricardo Rodriguez have all become main-stays of WWE booking. I'm delighted - I think short, fat guys make wrestlers look even more awesome, and all these guys are terrific entertainers - but I'm not sure why WWE has had such a change of heart on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Ricardo has been there for a while. Heyman since shortly after Lesnar came back.

Having others who talk for people who are crap talkers isn't anything new. The only reason Heyman and Zeb have been given more than Lesnar and Swagger is because of how good they are. Nothing to do with a WWE change of heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Clemantis

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The only reason Heyman and Zeb have been given more than Lesnar and Swagger is because of how good they are. Nothing to do with a WWE change of heart.
    But they've been good for years and WWE haven't used them. They have changed how they put their show together to include more managers. I'm not sure why. Maybe we had been blessed to have guys who could talk and work (Rock, Austin, Foley, Triple H, Angle, Jericho, Edge, Cena, Orton) and they are less confident about the new crop being able to perform at that level. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

imagine if Sting came to WWE but was using his old surfer gimmick and not the crow style gimmick we all want to see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

That would be the best thing ever!

PTH2009 wrote: »
    imagine if Sting came to WWE but was using his old surfer gimmick and not the crow style gimmick we all want to see

3721%20-%20smackdown%20smiling%20suit%20vince_mcmahon%20wwe.png

Ah Joker Sting is the best, wearing the ould red James Mitchell suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Do ye think Angle will come back for one run before he retires?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jamc wrote: »
    Do ye think Angle will come back for one run before he retires?

WWE are more open than ever to big name wrestlers working part time (Jericho, RVD) or special occasions (although Undertaker and Rock are the special cases of special cases).

There hasn't been any recent public incidents with Kurt. So that's a plus on him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

rovert wrote: »
    WWE are more open than ever to big name wrestlers working part time (Jericho, RVD) or special occasions (although Undertaker and Rock are the special cases of special cases).

There hasn't been any recent public incidents with Kurt. So that's a plus on him too.

True. The part time schedule is a big plus now to getting older guys in.

rovert wrote: »

I'd like to see Kurt go part time with whatever company he's with. I know he only wrestles a few days a month in Tna but he always seems to have his knee or hamstrings taped up nowdays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Pretty much forgot about Smackdown GM Kurt Angle btw:
    iXbs3lJ2xvB7m.gif

:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

AJ is up there with Punk, Bryan and the Shield as the most enjoyable people in WWE right now.

She reminds me of a female version of Eddie Guererro or Edge when is comes to acting things out. She is playing a heel but does so many entertaining things she just steals the spotlight from everyone else when she is on screen.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »
    AJ is up there with Punk, Bryan and the Shield as the most enjoyable people in WWE right now.

She reminds me of a female version of Eddie Guererro or Edge when is comes to acting things out. She is playing a heel but does so many entertaining things she just steals the spotlight from everyone else when she is on screen.

tumblr_m8jy767CId1qdwli2.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement